PDA

View Full Version : exterior cherry?

Jake Helmboldt
07-26-2007, 10:23 PM
I have a lot of cherry that I got rough sawn by a neighbor (the tree was a another neighbor's that came down in a storm) and I have some thick, curved slabs from a large branch that would be great for benches (ala Nakashima). However cherry is not known for being good in the weather. If well sealed with an epoxy finish would such a piece weather the elements, or is this a bad idea?

I mentioned the bench idea and the neighbors that provided the wood want one for their deck. I just don't want to make something that won't last. What about if it is moved indoors during inclement weather?

Gary Herrmann
07-26-2007, 10:32 PM
I seem to remember an article in FWW (?) about mixing exterior poly and epoxy to get an extremely durable and waterproof finish. You may want to ask on the finishing forum.

I would think that as long as you seal the end grain, and can come up with an extremely robust finish, cherry would do ok - not unlike a lot of woods. Avoiding ground contact will definitely help.

Cody Colston
07-26-2007, 11:03 PM
If you completely seal it in epoxy and then coat that with eight or so coats of a UV resistant spar varnish, it should hold up fairly well. As already stated, pay particular attention to the end grain. You will need to renew the varnish as soon as it begins to look chalky. Strong sunlight is probably a bigger concern than water.

Brad Morse
07-28-2007, 6:42 PM
Black cherry (heartwood) is naturally rot resistant.

Michael Schwartz
07-28-2007, 7:18 PM
Minwax Helmsman, works good and is UV stabilized, and will move with the wood seasonly.