PDA

View Full Version : Back from the sawmill!!

John Padgett
07-26-2007, 9:08 PM
Hello. I just unloaded 150 bd ft of 4/4 red oak. My first time buying more than 10 to 20 bd ft at one time and have to tell everyone! I dont have a power planer though, anyone want to come over and help me hand plane it for a bedroom suite??? LOL.

That is going to be some fun.

http://www.carolinacraftworks.com/images/lumber.jpg

David DeCristoforo
07-26-2007, 10:08 PM
By the time you get done hand planing all that oak, you should be pretty good at it!

Ron Brese
07-27-2007, 8:40 AM
And you should have some really big arms, or really sore arms! You'll be walking around with Popeye arms saying things like "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam!"LOL

Ron

Jim Becker
07-27-2007, 9:58 AM
Ummm....you could always hide the tail of a powered planer with shavings...nobody will ever know...err.... :D :D :D

In all seriousness, for that volume of lumber, it may pay you relative to time and effort to at least borrow a powered planer to knock this stuff close before you finish the work with your hand planes if you are not committed to be totally Neander. That's a lot of material!

John Padgett
07-27-2007, 11:36 AM
I dont plane it all at once. If I need two sides of a cabinet, I just cut those two and plane them as I need them. I wish I had access to a power planer, maybe next month I will break down and buy one. I do not know anyone else near Statesville, NC that does any woodworking. I wish there were more. Thanks for the advice. John.

Eric Gustafson
07-27-2007, 2:37 PM
I used my BIL's Delta TP-305 surface planer on some 7" white oak last weekend. He only paid ~$200 for it. It did a marvelous job. I jointed one edge with my Festool TS-55 and guide, then the other with the TS. That worked well, too. Although I could have edge jointed with my router table, the Festool saw was actually faster and easier to use.

But the price of that thickness planer is well worth it for all that surface planing.