PDA

View Full Version : Pen Material Suggestion *PIC*

Ken Salisbury
01-21-2004, 7:11 AM
Any people who have access to Corian should consider making pens from it. Check a local business in you area who makes solid surface counter tops and solicit some scrap material from them (tell them about "Freedom Pens" - how could they refuse?).

These pens would come close to being indestructible, really suitable to the harsh environment some of these pens will endure.

I whipped out a couple yesterday. My next batch for the program will be made exclusively from Corian.

Mike Leonard
01-21-2004, 8:05 AM
Those look really nice Ken. I am checking on a source for corian scraps today. I have not yet turned any corian pens but am looking forward to it.

Bud Duffy
01-21-2004, 10:28 AM
Ken how do you get them to shine like that i made one the other day and sanded it to 600grit and it dosnt come close to those. Bud

Keith Outten
01-21-2004, 12:17 PM
Mike,

If you can't find a source let me know. I have some in my shop and would be glad to bring you a large piece of 1/2" thick Corian tomorrow.
A sink cutout will probably make a hundred pen blanks.

Mike Leonard
01-21-2004, 12:42 PM
Keith,

I checked on my source today and he said to come and get all the scraps I wanted. I picked up some this morning. All of it is 1/2" in various colors except for some 3/4" white. He said to come back and get more when I needed it. Looks like we have a good local source now. I am going to turn some this evening and see how it goes.

How about I pick you up tomorrow at about 9:45 at the front gate for the interview?

Bob Weisner
01-21-2004, 1:08 PM
Are there any special safety precautions that should be used when turning Corian? Is it a dusty material when it is being turned on a lathe?

Thanks,

Bob

Ken Salisbury
01-21-2004, 6:49 PM
Are there any special safety precautions that should be used when turning Corian? Is it a dusty material when it is being turned on a lathe?

Thanks,

Bob
Not that I know of - I am still breathing :D