PDA

View Full Version : Need a new stain

Reed Wells
07-26-2007, 8:29 PM
Hi All, I am looking for a faster drying stain for my business. Ninty percent of my log furniture is white pine ( Face frames,Tops etc. ) and the logs I use are white cedar. I am currently using an oil based stain that finishes out great, But takes to long before I can start my water based Poly. I need to be able to spray it on, HVLP, and not worry about wiping it down. My supplier sent me three quarts of Lexmark laquer stain in different colors but it just doesn't seem to penetrate deep enough. Using 320 grit paper after first coat of poly I was getting some of the lighter wood showing through the stain. I don't know about dyes even if that could be used. I am looking for a turn around time of no more than an hour. The colors I am using can be seen at my website, see my profile for url.
PS I was told after I first tried it ( had to wipe it down ) to thin it 1:1. which I did but still not satisfied. Any help would be greatly apreciated,
Reed

Jim Becker
07-26-2007, 8:44 PM
I use water soluble dyes and yes, they can be sprayed. You should seal with a quick application of de-waxed shellac, however, before moving on to your water borne top coat finish. All of these steps can be sprayed.

Kim Spence
07-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Couple options

1. Water based stains - Ready to topcoat in 1-2 hours.

2. Solvent Based NGR Dyes (non-pigmented)- easy to spray evenly, dries almost immediately. Mohawk Ultra Penetrating Stain is one example.

3. Old Masters Penetrating Stain - solvent based pigmeted stain, topcoat in as little as 1 to 2 hours.

Keep in mind that most dyes (non-pigmented) will fade quickly in sunlight. Trans-Tints seem to be a bit more light-stable but will still fade over time.