PDA

View Full Version : OHHHHH Cheese!

TYLER WOOD
07-26-2007, 4:47 PM
For cheese lovers eyes only!!!

I went to lunch at a supermarket here in town. They have a few small food area in it. I love their Penne Dulcelatte. But I prefer it with the orchietta pasta instead of the penne, nicer body to the sauce with the extra drainage of pasta water. MMMMMMM

Anyways back to the topic. They also have one of the nicest cheese selections I have some across (which is not a whole lot). Most stores around here carry your typical cheese in a bag. Here though cheese from all over. Even the stinky ones are carried. From cheddar to brie and all in between. Double Glousteshire is one of my favorites. But I stumbled onto a couple of great cheese today, and figured I might share with you the variety so you can keep your eyes out for them.

1: A SUPER SHARP CHEDDAR - I can not remeber the maker, but it was a 6 year aged cheddar from a cave in Switzerland. Has a medium gray rind with little white crytals present on the rind from calcium deposited onto it. Nice dark orange coloration to it.With those descriptions it should not be hard to decide if it's in your stores cheese section.

Extremely sharp cheddar. Very smooth texture, yet bulky in weight. Makes your mouth water just smelling it. It is so sharp it just sticks to your mouth from your mouth watering so much. The mouthfeel of this heavy cheese after a fwe chews of it was almost like taking a bite of velveeta cheese. I probably would like to take it home and give it a slow smoke over some apple wood chips, but that's just me. It's great without it. Probably one of my favorite cheeses of all times!!!

2: Carr Valley Cocoa Cardona - a mild cheese with silky smooth texture. Nice light flavor with a slight hint of sharpness. Creamy flavour. I love the cocoa on the rind very nice added bonus. I found some coffee flavoured cookies by Anna's that went so well with this cheese. The cocoa and coffeee make this an extrodinary treat.

3: Purple moon: This is a carbernet soaked white cheddar. Nice mild flavour that is almost overpowered by the cabernet. I would have liked it beter I think if it was washed or atleast dabbed off before tasting. The cabernet to me was as stated above a little overpowering, but a nice addition to the cheese. Dampered down by removing the wetness might have provided the relief from this though. Still a good cheese with potential of being better.

The purple moon I just got a couple of bites of. The other two I bought some small block of and took home. I probably would by the Purple Moon had it not been for the extraodinary other two cheese I got instead. Maybe next time.

Again thanks for your time in reading this. Next time I go to lunch at the supermarket, I might do this again!!!!

glenn bradley
07-26-2007, 5:10 PM
I'm alergic to all milk products. I hate you.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Joe Pelonio
07-26-2007, 5:12 PM
Thanks for that, Tyler. We too are cheese lovers. There's an small grocery store in Poulsbo, WA on the way to my Mom's that has a great selection of international cheeses. We always stop and pick one out to try, but really know nothing about them so we're just experimenting. I'll have to take your list with us next time.

Jim O'Dell
07-26-2007, 5:16 PM
Tyler, my mouth is watering over the cheddar with YOU smelling it! :D Man I love a good sharp cheddar. And Here I sit at work with my cheese filled cheese crackers for my 5:00 snack. Jim.

TYLER WOOD
07-26-2007, 5:21 PM
Hey Jim, this was the sharpest cheddar I have ever had the privelege of putting in my mouth. Craker Barrel used to have a coon cheese cheddar in a black wrapper that was ecelent and a marker of what a sharp cheddar is. This blew it away. WOW is an understatement to the taste of this cheese. I will run by there on the way to my other office and get the name of the cheese, and the maker.

I am a novice taster, but an expert eater. Steve Erkel from Family Matters was my hero growing up cuz my favorite food is cheese! DID I DO THAT!!!!!

John Schreiber
07-26-2007, 5:22 PM
Ohh yahh! Cheese. I don't drink so I can't be a wine snob, but I'm a cheese snob big time. There's an international food store nearby that I try to get to regularly. Recent treasures have been a German butter cheese, a Danish goat cheese with a name something like casabanca and I can't walk away from there without some English Stilton.

One of my high cheese points was a 20 year old Wisconsin cheddar. Oh, more flavorful than I ever thought a cheddar could be.

Jim Becker
07-26-2007, 5:33 PM
Some of the best cheese I've had yet was found by Karl Laustrup...he's got a source in Cheese-Head Land where he lives that is to die for!

Karl Laustrup
07-26-2007, 9:00 PM
Some of the best cheese I've had yet was found by Karl Laustrup...he's got a source in Cheese-Head Land where he lives that is to die for!

Yes, indeed Jim. Carr Valley Cheese is that place. They have two plants within short distance of my house. They have won many ribbons for their cheeses at the annual cheese shindig that's held here in Wisconsin, where cheese makers come from all over the world.

Tyler if you think that 6 year cheddar was good you should try some of Carr Valley's 8, 9 & 10 year cheddars. They also have a wonderful Romano.

http://www.carrvalleycheese.com/ This is their web address and they do ship. I'm not affiliated with Carr Valley Cheese, just a very happy and satisfied customer.

If you're ever in the south central part of Wisconsin, a stop at one of Carr Valley's cheese stores is worth the time. You can sample anything they have in the store. You can even watch them make the cheese at their two plants.

Karl

Jim Becker
07-27-2007, 8:08 AM
Karl gets the Kupee Doll for posting that link!!! Thanks!! :D :D :D

Josiah Bartlett
07-30-2007, 11:45 PM
I get the Canadian Black Diamond Extra-old at Safeway, that's pretty good.

I had some 5-year old gouda out of a cheese shop in Leavenworth, WA earlier this year. It was fantastic, really dry and nutty.