PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite dye?

Carl Crout
07-26-2007, 3:28 PM
What brand of dye's do you like? Do you use powder or liquid?

Do they fade in the sun?

Thanks

James Phillips
07-26-2007, 3:30 PM
I like TransTint

Larry Fox
07-26-2007, 3:53 PM
Yep - same here. TransTint.

Grant Wilkinson
07-27-2007, 9:15 AM
I like either aniline powder, mixed with distilled water or ngr dyes.

John Mihich
07-27-2007, 2:06 PM
I have used trans tint a lot but just try SolarLux for a Hickory project. I now have a favorite dye. It went on nice, dried much faster, and did not raised the grain. I will continue to use it on smaller pieces. For larger pieces I think the water bases trans tint is easier to use.

Rich Rice
07-29-2007, 8:42 PM
I have used trans tint a lot but just try SolarLux for a Hickory project. I now have a favorite dye. It went on nice, dried much faster, and did not raised the grain. I will continue to use it on smaller pieces. For larger pieces I think the water bases trans tint is easier to use.

I like the Trans Tint, but seldom use it with water. I usually tint alcohol, as it dries faster and doesn't raise the grain as much. A nice trick is to dampen the end grain (sparingly) with a slightly damp rag after sanding to open up the pores prior to dying. The dye has a nicer color if the pores are open. Follow the dye with a Deft sanding sealer or a Behlen Qualalacq sanding sealer, then topcoat with Qualalacq nitrocellulose. Once the project has cured for several weeks, it can be wetsanded and buffed to a rich, deep shine. Very nice stuff to work with. Be sure to have adequate ventilation, and follow safety precautions- but boy is the finish cool when you're done. :cool:

julie Graf
08-05-2007, 5:37 PM
SolarLux rocks.

easy to use - use the retarder - makes it easier to apply, no lines. great color, still looks like wood.

mohawk is supposed to be nice too.