PDA

View Full Version : Care of furniture after finishing

Kyle Stiefel
07-26-2007, 12:27 PM
Hello,

This is probably a goofy question but what do you guys do to keep up furniture previously finished during routine house cleaning. I am not gearing towards the furniture which you will eventually add a fresh coat of oil to (if that was your finish). What does you dust over oiled furniture with, Pledge or something like that?

Any thoughts.

Bill White
07-26-2007, 2:08 PM
Pledge ifn ya ain't gonna top coat. Even use it on the antiques.
Bill

Howard Acheson
07-26-2007, 5:02 PM
For dusting there is nothing better than a vacuum cleaner with an soft brush. Also, a very slightly damp cloth works well to remove dust.

I would avoid any supermarket dusting, polishing or waxing material. Most are nothing more than mineral oil which will attract dust. Also some contain silicone which will raise havoc if you ever want to refinish the item. Pledge is to be particularly avoided.

Kim Spence
07-26-2007, 6:08 PM
I'll second Howard - avoid Pledge, Endust, or similar silicone containing products at all costs on anything of value that you may someday want refinish.

Kyle Stiefel
07-26-2007, 7:23 PM
Thanks guys, this is the kind of information I was looking for. I had never even looked (or used) to see what was in a can of Pledge. Wonderful example of know what you are using before you use it.

Pat Germain
07-26-2007, 7:50 PM
We used to have the same discussion on the old rec.arts.woodworking forum. The general consensus was to avoid anything available at your local supermarket for the reasons stated above. Silicone is to be especially avoided because it's nearly impossible to remove.

Pledge is great for simulated woodgrain veneer plastic, which is what most people have for furniture these days. :)