PDA

View Full Version : OT question

Sean Troy
07-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Hey all, I'm thinking of maybe doing the interior of my shop (walls) with rough sawn lumber or reclaimed lumber. Does anyone have any idea of how to source this? If I can do it for around the same price as drywall, I think I would lean that direction. Thanks for any help, Sean

Mark Pruitt
07-26-2007, 11:46 AM
I'm sure you've given this a lot of thought already, but when I read your post, the first thing I envisioned was dust sticking to the rough surface and being a real PITA by making the shop all the more messy. For that reason alone I'd go with drywall instead.

I'm good enough at making messes, without the help of a rough wall!:p

BTW, sorry--no help on how to source it other than to call a lumber yard and inquire about scraps.

Dennis Peacock
07-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Nail you up some 1/2" plywood, paint it white and move on. Rough lumber will be more expensive, take more effort to keep your walls from looking "fuzzy" due to dust/dirt buildup and will also create a larger fire hazard due to the dust buildup. You could also go wtih 7/16" OSB and put the smoothest side out to the shop area and paint that. I have painted OSB in my shop (as well as some that's not painted) and it has worked well for me.

Bernie Weishapl
07-26-2007, 1:23 PM
I did like Dennis 14 yrs. ago in my shop. I put OSB board up and painted it white. If I need to hang something it is a lot easier to do than with sheet rock. The wood you are talking about will be many times more expensive.

Kenneth Hertzog
07-26-2007, 1:40 PM
I put up 3/8 plywood and painted it white
added shelves where needed ( all over )
and a lot less work than drywall
ken

Frank Kobilsek
07-26-2007, 2:54 PM
Sean

A previous employer of mine had a company building code for in-plant offices that the walls be 1/2 plywood covered by dry wall. The plan was noise surpression and durability. It was easy to hang shelves, pictures cabinets etc. in those rooms.

I need to insulate & cover the studs in my garage and have alway thought 1/2 or 3/4 plywood would be the best choice.

Frank

Keith Burns
07-26-2007, 3:26 PM
When I built my shop I used 1/2" plywood and left it unpainted. Has worked well for me.

Richard Madison
07-27-2007, 12:44 AM
Sean,
Insulate first, followed by 1/2" drywall. Tape and float joints but NO texture, cause it grabs the dust. Paint bright white. Locate shelf supports or rails at the studs, which should be on 16" centers. Some of the drywall joints will be visible, due to lack of "texture". But it's a shop, not a livingroom.

Sean Troy
07-27-2007, 10:23 AM
See my reply over in flat land. I really do appreciate all the help. There sure is a great bunch of people here. thanks