PDA

View Full Version : Fein Multimaster

Jerry Bittner
07-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Just happened to browse a thread about "worst tool purchases." Got to thinking that at my age I would like to avoid adding to my list. So I thought I get a sampling of opinions about the Fein Multimaster. Primarily interested in it for detail sanding because on my list of worst tool purchases is a Delta detail sander.

Bob Childress
07-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Jerry,

I don't have the Fein, but I do have the Festo DX93 and it is a whale of a detail sander. Tops. If your primary aim is detail sanding, you might want to look at that as well. And it comes standard with dust collection and I think DC is an add-on for the Fein.

Having said that, I have read many good comments about the MultiMaster's versatility, so we'll see what everyone says.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-26-2007, 11:16 AM
I asked the same question in this thread and got a lot of replies.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=55300&highlight=multimaster

I ended up not getting it.

Glenn Clabo
07-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Jerry...
It is a very good detail sander...but if you do any remodeling you will not be sorry if you buy it. I would rank it up in the top 10 tools I own. I bought mine after reading the answers to a question, what is your best tool, on a pro remodolers site a few years ago. It was very well placed. Cutting tools are not cheap...but man they sure do their job...and saves a ton of time.

Tyler Howell
07-26-2007, 1:00 PM
Bring $$$$
This is a great tool for what it is intend to do. I use a lot of the cutting features.
TJH

Greg Sznajdruk
07-26-2007, 3:37 PM
Don't use the detail sander, but do use the cutters and they do work well. The circular blade is made of high carbon steel ( read brittle) it will snap it you hit it even slightly. The cost of a replacement blade is about $60. Seems they ship them from Germany by Clipper Ship the only reason I can see for the extraordinary cost. My advise is check the cost of replacement items before you buy this tool.

Greg

David Howden
07-26-2007, 5:01 PM
I have had two of these, with the first the switch appeared to fail but on opening it up I found the most tatty bit of wire connecting the slider to the switch had fallen out. Some time later the motor burned out.
I bought another because it was on special offer, I still had all the blades etc from the first, and in truth it does many things that no other tool will do, like cut square holes in walls for switch boxes and trim in strange places. It is possible to cobble up a cutter yourself if needed.

frank shic
07-26-2007, 6:50 PM
someone on the JLC forum has figured out how to make your own fein multimaster blade from a cheap home depot saw.

http://forums.jlconline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37465

Craig Thompson
07-27-2007, 12:52 AM
Jerry,

It is theeeee tool I do not want to forget for any install I ever do.... Cutting abilities are endless. As a sander though, I dont use it much. It is ok for anything that is linear, but corners and the like are tough. I find that the 'stroke' (due to its action rotating around the spindle) is too large for detailing into corners and the like.

Jason White
07-27-2007, 6:38 AM
Ditto on the Festool. It is also capable of extremely aggressive work with coarser grit paper and has dust decent dust collection.

JW

Jerry,

I don't have the Fein, but I do have the Festo DX93 and it is a whale of a detail sander. Tops. If your primary aim is detail sanding, you might want to look at that as well. And it comes standard with dust collection and I think DC is an add-on for the Fein.

Having said that, I have read many good comments about the MultiMaster's versatility, so we'll see what everyone says.