PDA

View Full Version : in the shop...tool belt or apron??

allan cripe
07-26-2007, 10:29 AM
I've been at this for about 2 years or so, and have managed to complete enough projects that the loml has confidently given a long list of to me!! I do a little of odd job type work away from home, but most of my efforts are in my garage. I find myself always on the wrong side of the table to reach the tool i am looking for during a project! I am not really interested in a bulky carpenter's rig (although they look really cool!). What do you guys prefer when your in your shop.......?

thanks

Allan

James Phillips
07-26-2007, 10:33 AM
I wear a leather shop apron. It keeps the dust and chemicals off my clothes. It does not have tool pockets and I would not use them anyway

Bob Reeve
07-26-2007, 10:40 AM
I use a leather apron made by the Woodworker Academy in Alameda CA. Lots of pockets to hold small tools etc and all of them have flaps to keep out the sawdust.

Bob

Brian Penning
07-26-2007, 10:48 AM
T-shirt, shorts(I try to wear the ones that already have stains on them) and lately -Crocs. Can't believe how comfy they are.

Jeremy Gibson
07-26-2007, 10:49 AM
I use an apron from Duluth Traiding Company. It's canvas and has cross back style straps so it rests on my shoulders and not my neck. Cheap and effective.

Carl Crout
07-26-2007, 11:02 AM
apron from Lee Valley

Roland Chung
07-26-2007, 11:09 AM
I bought an apron from here:

http://www.aprons.net/pockets.htm

and I'm really happy with it. I've got several tool belts and aprons, but this is the one I reach for.

Bill Huber
07-26-2007, 11:16 AM
I have just started wearing an apron, it sure makes it nice to have my tape, pencil, square and a few other things with me at all times. I had been using a tool type belt but the problem was the glue and stuff like that still got all over my shirts with the apron they don't.

I got one from Rockler and the straps cross so it is not hanging on your neck like some do and it has a clip in the back so I don't have to tie it.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10257&filter=apron

glenn bradley
07-26-2007, 11:19 AM
Tank-shirt or no shirt, shorts, shoes . .. my gara . . . er, shop isn't big enough that I am too far from anything I need. I do keep pencils, everywhere. A small rule fits in my back pocket. Everything else sets on a rolling worktable or other surface nearby. In SoCal, wearing an apron might work in our "winter" but the rest of the time layering is not really desired.

Greg Narozniak
07-26-2007, 11:41 AM
I use an apron from Duluth Traiding Company. It's canvas and has cross back style straps so it rests on my shoulders and not my neck. Cheap and effective.

Got the same one and while I try and not load up the pockets I am very happy with it. When I remember to put it on:p

Brent Dowell
07-26-2007, 12:26 PM
Ditto on the Duluth.

The neck strap configuration makes it very comfortable, and I really like not having to search around the shop for pencils, rules, etc...

It's almost like a cross between an apron and a tool belt.

I had one from Lee valley but it was a little too long and looked funny when I wore it with shorts :eek:

Art Mulder
07-26-2007, 12:34 PM
No apron, no tool belt.

Rather, the nearest horizontal surface. :rolleyes:

Bart Leetch
07-26-2007, 12:37 PM
Skillers vest with pouches & pockets.

What isn't visible is the pockets accessed from the front side edge of the top vest pockets next to the front zipper they are behind the front pockets kinda like a suit jacket inside pocket but right on the front.

This vest distributes the weight so its hardly noticeable. Of course I don't carry a bunch of stuff in it pencils, bevel gage, small try square, small combination square, tape measure,other odds & ends. The big combo square was put there just for the pic.

http://www.accessdiscounts.us/skilworkwear.html

Jason Beam
07-26-2007, 12:49 PM
I struggled with this one for awhile ... tried a few aprons and settled on the following rules for me:

1. Cross straps so that the weight is not resting on my neck. VERY important.

2. A place to hold a pencil or two.

3. A place for my 6" rule.

4. Fairly easy stowage of my small tape measure.

5. Room for an occasional screw/nail/square/brush/etc.

6. NOT A BUNCH OF POCKETS. This is huge. You don't want to be lugging around half your shop for no reason. Those things get heavy and reduce your mobility very quickly. Two or three items of constant use are really all you want in there.

I ended up with some denim thing from Rockler. It's just the right size, has the cross straps and a couple bib pockets for pencils and my 6" rule. There are actually a few too many lower pockets for my liking, but generally I don't bother putting much in there besides my tape.

You're gonna have this problem, no matter what. Soon as you get your pencil and tape and square in there, your hammer's gonna be 6" out of reach. Hang yer hammer on there and your glue bottle will be too far away. Stow yer glue bottle and that drill's just a smidge hard to reach. Hang the drill on there and now you really wish that you had your calipers. ... I'm going beyond sanity but you understand my point :)

The other caution i have is some of the stuff we're tempted to have in the apron may not fare well. A good dial caliper shouldn't be bouncing all around with you and all your other tools. It's too easy for it to get banged around and no longer trustworthy. I feel the same way about my engineering squares and my really good rules. I keep a tape and a short rule for quick measures and don't mind much if they get banged up.

The real trouble comes when it's a little too warm to have the apron on .. now everything's hanging over THERE on the wall when i need it!! :eek:

Tyler Howell
07-26-2007, 12:54 PM
I got 2 SMC aproms custom made to my liking.
Pockets where I wanted them and a neck gusset for the turning apron.
Turned out AOK
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=57089

Ron Robinson
07-26-2007, 1:22 PM
I use an apron that is made by the "Bucket Boss" people. I like everything about it except that the pockets are not covered by flaps. The pockets fill with sawdust in no time.

Ron

Michael Schwartz
07-26-2007, 1:33 PM
Nothing, except my Tshirt and Shorts.

I hate wearing my Nailbags on the jobsite, and I usualy find somewhere to hang them up.

Funny how in NYY Norm wears full sized Nail Bags with just a hammer, nailset, screwdriver and utility knife in the. Something tells me that the Producers make him wear it as an Image thing.

Jeff Wright
07-26-2007, 1:34 PM
I have a canvas apron from Wooden Boats in Maine. It has the straps across the shoulders and one around the waist to carry the weight and about four pockets at the lower front of the vest and two on the upper area.

While I like it, it is restraining when squatting with any tools in the pockets. Maybe if those pockets were positioned higher above my waist.

Also, I would think an apron made from a rugged leather could afford some protection from flying workpieces.

David DeCristoforo
07-26-2007, 1:48 PM
My shop policy: No aprons, no tool belts, no shorts. Closed shoes or boots (preferably steel toed). Nothing that can get caught on anything. Nothing "sticking out" anywhere.

Byron Trantham
07-26-2007, 2:07 PM
I wear T-Shirts and jeans - period. LOML made me an apron and I stopped using it. The darn pockets kept hanging up on exposed levers. I just asked her to make one with no pockets. As for having the convience of pencils etc handy, well at 62 I forget they are there [handy] and look all over the shop anyway!:D

Mick Zelaska
07-26-2007, 2:26 PM
I use a leather apron with a pencil pocket. Before I put the apron on, I strap a leather nail pouch behind my left hip. The pouch has a small upper (to hold screws and fasteners) and larger lower pocket to hold a tape and other small tools. Apron keeps my clothes reasonably clean and nail pouch feels natural on my hip.

I don't like to carry tools and fasteners in a front short apron as they are uncomfortable when I stoop or bend over.

Tom Hargrove
07-26-2007, 4:27 PM
I have tried two or three full torso aprons, some of which have straps that cross the back. I rarely wear them because they confine my movements, and are hot in the summer. When I use anything, I use the old style canvas nail apron work by carpenters. It holds a 12' tape, 6" metal rule, plastic pencil sharpener, and few fasteners and other small items.

After seeing the results of a fellow shop worker drop a saw blade on his foot while wearing canvas sneakers (severed tendon), I always wear something heavier on my feet when I have the tools out. When doing sanding or finishing, I wear what ever is comfortable.

glenn bradley
07-26-2007, 4:36 PM
Nothing, except my Tshirt and Shorts.

I hate wearing my Nailbags on the jobsite, and I usualy find somewhere to hang them up.

Funny how in NYY Norm wears full sized Nail Bags with just a hammer, nailset, screwdriver and utility knife in the. Something tells me that the Producers make him wear it as an Image thing.

Norm did state in an interview that it is a prop. Viewers like it and it recalls the 'This Old House' days. He'd probably prefer to do without although he didn't say so.

John Schreiber
07-26-2007, 5:47 PM
I use a lightweight but long cotton apron from the borg. The only pockets I use are for a pencil and pens. Next one I buy will have crossed straps in the back rather than around the neck. That get's irritating if I'm wearing a shirt without a collar.

I find carrying anything more than that (maybe a 6" ruler or I'd like to get one of those Lee Valley small double squares) would be a slippery slope to carrying everything and weighing myself down.

I love the looks I get from my neighbors when I wear the long apron with shorts. It insures that people have something to talk about.

Jim Becker
07-26-2007, 5:51 PM
Neither. I only use a tool belt when doing construction work and only use something "apron like" when turning...a turning smock to keep chips out of my pockets and shirt.

Mike Langford
07-26-2007, 6:30 PM
T-shirt,shorts,tennis shoes,and usually a ball cap.......I put my pencils behind my ear (old parts man habit!) or stick them in the back of my cap or under the band when I put my safety glasses on. I have two top tool boxes directly behind my workbench.....what tools that aren't already laying on the bench, is easily obtained by turning around and opening a drawer!(I always end up with every hand tool I own,piled on the workbench instead of in the toolbox before I'm finished anyways!! :D )

I've got 8-10 various 6" s/s rules (pick them up for a quarter to a buck at flea markets) scattered all about the shop....One on the saw's fence,one at the bandsaw,router table,shelves,etc. A few tape measures,deadblow hammers,and safety glasses laying about too....but never where you can find them when you need 'em! :mad:

I must have a half dozen assorted tool belts and aprons buried in the bottom drawer of my tool box......never could get use to wearing one!

I still have to chase tools around the shop! ;)

Andrew Williams
07-26-2007, 6:45 PM
Lee Valley apron. One slot has a #2 pencil, the other one has a .5mm mechanical pencil. The center pocket holds an eraser and a pair of earplugs. Main pocket is empty except for a 6' folding rule. More importantly are my shop shoes, Rockports, with gel insoles.

Steve Clardy
07-26-2007, 6:51 PM
Neither one. Tried an apron once, that lasted less than a day.
I don't like things hanging around my neck.
I keep a zillion pencils around, and a half dozen matched tape measures also.

I've worn a carpenter belt rig enough through the years, that I hate those things also. I don't have any mass down below to keep the things on my waist. :o Was always pulling the darn thing up :( before it got to my knees :rolleyes:

Mike Langford
07-26-2007, 7:13 PM
......."I don't have any mass down below to keep the things on my waist." :o "Was always pulling the darn thing up :( before it got to my knees" :rolleyes:

:D I've got plenty of mass!!(6'2" - 275 lbs) :D Never had that problem!

Also when I wore a tool belt.....I couldn't see what I had in the pockets 'cause my belly got in the way!!!:eek: ;)

Steve Clardy
07-26-2007, 7:17 PM
:D I've got plenty of mass!!(6'2" - 275 lbs) :D Never had that problem!

Also when I wore a tool belt.....I couldn't see what I had in the pockets 'cause my belly got in the way!!!:eek: ;)

Lol. Can I borrow some mass Mike? :D :D :D

Joe Jensen
07-26-2007, 7:20 PM
Allen, I've been at this nearly 30 years and I still work without either. Pretty stupid because I'm constantly trying to find a pencil or the measuring stick. I think an apron would be most comfortable for me and would hold what I need, but I live in AZ and it's pretty warm here so an apron would likely be hot.

Mike Langford
07-26-2007, 7:36 PM
Lol. Can I borrow some mass Mike? :D :D :D

......PM me your address! ;)

Course unless you have a real good way to fasten it on.....It'll probably end up down around your knees too!! :rolleyes:

Keith Outten
07-26-2007, 7:39 PM
CW McCellan is making me a new leather apron as we speak. I sent him my old canvas carpenters apron and asked hime to duplicate it in cowhide. The cowhide turning apron CW made for me is surprisingly light and very soft...comfortable to wear. After receiving it I had to have a cowhide carpenters apron which I will wear most of the time in my shop and all the time when installing signs.

Fred Voorhees
07-26-2007, 7:54 PM
I don't wear either. I wear a double pouch tool belt all week in my daily job as a union insulator and do not wish to do so during the weekend also. I just try to keep what I need close at hand.

Gary Keedwell
07-26-2007, 9:03 PM
I sent away for one last year and wore it once. (apron). They look so cool in the pictures but can't get in the habit of wearing one.:rolleyes:
Gary K.

Clint Winterhalter
07-26-2007, 9:12 PM
I have just started wearing an apron, it sure makes it nice to have my tape, pencil, square and a few other things with me at all times. I had been using a tool type belt but the problem was the glue and stuff like that still got all over my shirts with the apron they don't.

I got one from Rockler and the straps cross so it is not hanging on your neck like some do and it has a clip in the back so I don't have to tie it.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10257&filter=apron

Bill I have the same apron from Rockler. My only complaint. SAW DUST in the pockets.. Other than that the cross straps are great. My old apron that hung around my neck drove me NUTZ! (The rockler apron can look a little odd with a pair of shorts on. I think I've scared a few of my neighbors over the years. But Heck I've got the leg for it! Yikes! :eek:

Brent Dowell
07-26-2007, 9:43 PM
I love the looks I get from my neighbors when I wear the long apron with shorts. It insures that people have something to talk about.

A serious drawback, to be sure....

The Duluth is short enough to not look like you are in the kitchen whipping up a batch of biscuits , however, even with shorts... :D

Tom Hamilton
07-26-2007, 10:24 PM
Great topic and a wide variety of preferences. I use a waist tool pouch when doing layout and assembly. When the "scary sharp" kit come out or doing glue up, I put on a apron to keep some of the fluids of the clothes. I tend to try to do "just a little touch up" in non-shop clothes. Always get WD-40 on the shorts or shirt. Thus the apron.

Oh, Crocs for sure. They most comfortable shoes on the the market today for me. Ugly, but comfortable.

Best regards, Tom

Bob Feeser
07-26-2007, 10:32 PM
I wear a tool belt that I bought at Home Depot. It has a large pouch closest to you, a medium, and a small pouch. Alongside of those are places to park pencils, screwdrivers, and misc stuff. It parks off to the right side of my body on my hip. The belt is also made out of leather, just like the pouches. Light tan, and very comfortable due to the fact that the belt is over 2" wide, so it does not dig into you. I carry a standard pencil, a 5mm mechanical pencil for using the Incra rules, a 6" Starret Square in the large pouch, and depending on the job, misc other things, like tape measure, screws, wooden plugs if I am filling holes, and some other things that I am too tired to think of right now.

Why do I carry a tool belt? I don't always have it on, but I hate having to go look for stuff. Where did I put my pencil, I need to square a piece, and need my Starret gauge, or need to make a quick measurement, and don't want to crawl under something, so the Starret, goes where I don't have to, I slide the rule out til it bottoms, tighten the nut, and bring it out to read an easy measurement.

I find that once I get into what they refer to as "Flow" where you get absorbed, and you enter what I have to refer to as "Timeless awareness" and everything falls together, then I need a pencil, and can't find one, and I search, and search, and while I am searching, I am unraveling my building points in my head, and by the time I get back, I have to totally collect my thoughts again. It is a pure waste of time, when I could instead reach into my tool pouch/belt, and instantly have what I need.

My tool pouch doubles as a major tool carrier if I am doing something around the house, like something electrical, or general maintenance. I can get it set up with all of the right tools, and then I am off.

It's funny because I always start a WW project without the belt on, but by the third time I am looking for my pencil, I go over and put it on; even if only to park a pencil. I tried that wear a pencil in the ear thing, but it keeps falling out.

That's all I can say about a tool belt.

CW McClellan
07-26-2007, 11:00 PM
I make em to your specs --canvas or leather -cross sholder straps --pockets --pencil and rule holder--ect. cwmcclellan@prtcnet.com
Also your name with SawMill leather patch on apron

Bill Huber
07-27-2007, 12:39 AM
Bill I have the same apron from Rockler. My only complaint. SAW DUST in the pockets.. Other than that the cross straps are great. My old apron that hung around my neck drove me NUTZ! (The rockler apron can look a little odd with a pair of shorts on. I think I've scared a few of my neighbors over the years. But Heck I've got the leg for it! Yikes! :eek:

I know what you mean, the pockets really get full. I have to shake it out now and then.
I wonder it they could make a dust collector for it....:D :D :D

Mike Langford
07-27-2007, 12:42 AM
......"I tried that wear a pencil in the ear thing, but it keeps falling out."

After 20+ years in sales (parts/tools) and always carrying a pencil behind my ear.......I've got a permanent "holder" between my head and ear! (gets a little "sloppy" right after a hair cut though! ;) Also my right ear sticks out further from my head than the left one! :D )

John Bush
07-27-2007, 1:49 AM
CW made a great leather apron with a removable knitted neck for turning, breast pocket with three compartments for pencil, rule, and marking knife, and two lower tool pockets. It is emblazened with the SMC logo and branded with my name. Very nice to wear. I had him make two more for gifts for turning mentors. He is great to work with and provides a good product.

When not wearing the apron, I wear the thong that Tyler Howell sent me. I think it was new???

Rich Engelhardt
07-27-2007, 5:23 AM
Hello,
Bib overalls or an apron.

Rod Sheridan
07-27-2007, 9:19 AM
Hi, I use a Lee Valley apron with a 0.5mm mechanical pencil and a 6" machinist rule in the pockets.

As for shop clothes, I see people posting that they are wearing crocs in the shop. Too scary for me, I always wear steel toe work boots.

Can't imagine what kind of language I'd use if I dropped the tennoning jig from the table saw on my foot while wearing crocs.

Now outside at the BBQ or working in the garden, it's crocs for sure.

Regards, Rod.

Howie French
07-27-2007, 9:28 AM

same here !

Howie

Jim Becker
07-27-2007, 10:11 AM
Can't imagine what kind of language I'd use if I dropped the tennoning jig from the table saw on my foot while wearing crocs.

The true solution to this is to NOT DROP the darn thing to begin with!! :p

That said, I agree about the Crocs, but given so many of us wear athletic shoes or similar in the shop, it's not much different relative to dropping things. I know I'm not inclined to buy steel-toed anything, especially for very part time shop use.

I'm glad someone brought up the Duluth Trading apron...while I don't wear an apron or tool belt in the shop, if that suddenly changed, the DT version would be a front runner relative to design. (I already swear by their long-tail tees even for every-day use...if you see me outside of a business meeting, it's very likely I have one on)

John Revilla
07-27-2007, 1:02 PM
Hello,
I use Lie-Nielsen leather apron and Wolverine steel toe boots for clothes and feet protection. The leather apron is quite hot specially during this time of the year here in So. Cal hence, I use a Craftsman blue apron as back-up. I once dropped my Dewalt belt sander on the floor right where my right foot was and my boots paid for itself. Godspeed

allan cripe
07-27-2007, 4:37 PM
thanks everyone for their input. I am leaning toward a lightweight apron. it is bloody hot here in the summer in central texas...exept this year. This year I should have built an ark!!!

Al

Mike Langford
07-27-2007, 4:51 PM
Out in the shop this afternoon,while I was waiting for some glue to dry(I used a few brad to speed up the drying time...:rolleyes: ) I thought I'd have a little fun and drag out some of my aprons and pouches.....

IF I HAD to wear one....This denim waist apron would be it.....:cool:

This canvas one was more of a nail pouch......:(

This nylon one had more compartments,but the built in drill hoster didn't work....;)

This one is just ALL WRONG.........:eek:

AHhhhhhh, Just right! :) (Hey,why are you staring at my ears? :confused: )

.....Time to check if my glue is dry!

Steve Clardy
07-27-2007, 5:13 PM
Out in the shop this afternoon,while I was waiting for some glue to dry(I used a few brad to speed up the drying time...:rolleyes: ) I thought I'd have a little fun and drag out some of my aprons and pouches.....

IF I HAD to wear one....This denim waist apron would be it.....:cool:

This canvas one was more of a nail pouch......:(

This nylon one had more compartments,but the built in drill hoster didn't work....;)

This one is just ALL WRONG.........:eek:

AHhhhhhh, Just right! :) (Hey,why are you staring at my ears? :confused: )

.....Time to check if my glue is dry!

Lol.:eek: Good modeling session there Mike :D

Mike Langford
07-27-2007, 5:26 PM
Lol.:eek: Good modeling session there Mike :D

Yeah.....All I needed was for SWMBO to come home early and find me in the shop "posing" in a tool belt! :eek: :D

And she'd really think I was weird if I told her I was going to post them on the Internet! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Richard Wagner
07-27-2007, 5:44 PM
I have a really, really nice leather tool belt; one that would make Norm Abrams envious. It hangs in my shop, unused.

I have six or seven aprons. One is so worn that I am going to be forced to replace it. The pockets are worn thin.

I prefer it because it has broad shoulder straps and a near full back. It has fit well all these years because it is very adjustable. Maybe it was just too big to start with, I don't remember.

I learned along time ago not to try to carry everything you might need in the course of a project. Do carry - your favorite tape measure, a good 6" rule, a small t-square and six or seven pencils. I am forever looking for a pencil.

Everything else I use and try to put back where it belongs in the shop. That could be on a tool board, in a tool box, where ever. It is not always at my finger tips but at least I don't have to clean the shop to find it.

Short answer - find an apron you like and don't overstock it.

Richard M. Wolfe
07-27-2007, 6:08 PM
No apron, no tool belt, especially in the summer.

My tape clips to my front pants pocket. I use a 12' tape and the weight is negligible and it always gets clipped back when not in use.

A shirt with a front pocket. I buy the slide on clips for a pencil that are spring loaded; pinch it, put it on the pocket front and let go (getting hard to find). Any time the pencil is not in use it's in my pocket and won't slide out. It's a habit I've made strong enough I would have to deliberately leave the pencil on the bench to not have it at hand.

allan cripe
07-27-2007, 6:12 PM
Action photos to boot!

ROTFL!

James Carmichael
07-27-2007, 6:27 PM
Man, this is Texas. Working in the garage in the summer means door & window open, fan(s) on, and just enough clothing to keep the neighbors from calling the police:eek:

brian j waloweek
07-27-2007, 10:48 PM
what are crocs? i prefer work boots and a pair of shorts with back pockets and no shirt in my basement shop, its humid and i need to run a dehumidifer. i also like to not wear glasses, have a marlboro hanging from my mouth, and a coffee within arms length while playing the latest queens of the stoneage cd over and over, only then do i feel relaxed enough to proceed with my work. also do any of you guys like being interupted by your wife or girlfriend when working in your shop?

Frank Stolten
07-28-2007, 12:33 AM
No tool belt, no apron, no t-shirt. I wear a comfortable shirt with a front pocket to hold my 5mm mechanical pencil and a 6" metal rule. Summers are very warm here and I find t-shirts not near as comfortable as a button shirt. When I'm at the lathe I wear a shirt buttoned at the neck with flaps on the pockets and the tails out to keep the shavings from migrating.

Depending on what length rule I'm using at the moment I'll either clip it on my front pocket (I wear out the pockets before anything else) or put it in the pocket. Shorts or jeans depending on the time of year. When I'm doing something messy like glueups or restoring some newly found rusty old treasure I toss on an old long sleeve shirt and keep the tails out. That's as close to an apron as I get. For shoes I wear low cut hiking shoes, more like work shoes actually. I find them as comfortable as most athletic shoes but they have greater toe protection though not as much as steel-toe which I find uncomfortable. It's a compromise I can live with. The only time I wear steel-toe is when I'm using a chain saw.

Ned Bulken
07-28-2007, 7:43 AM
Once I get the shop 'done' I'll have my brand new DT apron on a hook just inside the door. I also picked up a nail pouch for the construction project, which Might just get a new belt and a permanent home in the shop too. I find I like the instant pencil access and my new 12' tape doesn't get lost if I clip it to the pouch.

Roy Harding
07-28-2007, 8:55 AM
I wear an apron - SWAMBO makes them for me out of canvass(?), denim(?). I like the apron for keeping glue, chemicals, etcetera off my clothes.

As others have noted, I don't overload it. In my bib pockets I keep a 6" rule, box-cutter, drafting pencil, piece of chalk, and a permanent marker. In my left main pocket is my tape measure. In the middle main pocket is my apron plane, in the right main pocket is the pointer for the drafting pencil, and the remote for the shop stereo.

If I'm doing rough carpentry (framing, or whatever), I find a leather tool belt handy - I can keep a supply of nails/screws in the pouches, and hang a hammer or whatever tool is appropriate from the loop or hook built into the belt.

I wear steel-toed work boots, with sneaker insoles. Having spent my life in the Army I'm more comfortable in boots than anything else - wearing shoes just makes me feel "naked".

I guess what you wear all depends on what you're doing, your personal methods of work, and what you find comfortable.

Roy

Al Willits
07-28-2007, 9:12 AM
Wife is making a light denim coat similar to a lab coat only the short version for the cooler months here, also has flaps to keep stuff out of the pockets that don't go there, the other week when summer comes, I just wander aimlessly in the garage looking for that tool I put down where I wouldn't lose it.

I have thought of a sleeveless version for summer, but I'll wait till Beasty gets done with the winter one before I tell her the good news....:D

Key here is to keep the number of pockets down so you don't end up with half your shop in them, and a sore back from carrying that 8" jointer around.

Al..who thinks 80bf of scrap lumber would be max load.

Bill Huber
07-28-2007, 9:20 AM
The true solution to this is to NOT DROP the darn thing to begin with!! :p

That said, I agree about the Crocs, but given so many of us wear athletic shoes or similar in the shop, it's not much different relative to dropping things. I know I'm not inclined to buy steel-toed anything, especially for very part time shop use.

I'm glad someone brought up the Duluth Trading apron...while I don't wear an apron or tool belt in the shop, if that suddenly changed, the DT version would be a front runner relative to design. (I already swear by their long-tail tees even for every-day use...if you see me outside of a business meeting, it's very likely I have one on)

You know they make a safty tennis shoe, all the people at wrok get them and like them (Fedex).
Now they are not what you call cheap...

http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1785

John Gornall
07-28-2007, 11:22 AM
What I want is a vest. No straps, waist length so I can still reach my pants pockets. A couple of pencil pockets, 2 lower pockets for a 1/2 inch x 12 foot tape measure on one side and a few screws on the other, and a few rare earth magnets sewn in suitable places to hold 6 inch rule or whatever. Light weight but tough nylon fabric and the back made of mesh for coolness and airflow.

Brent Dowell
07-28-2007, 11:30 AM
What I want is a vest. No straps, waist length so I can still reach my pants pockets. A couple of pencil pockets, 2 lower pockets for a 1/2 inch x 12 foot tape measure on one side and a few screws on the other, and a few rare earth magnets sewn in suitable places to hold 6 inch rule or whatever. Light weight but tough nylon fabric and the back made of mesh for coolness and airflow.

I use this vest for hiking with the dogs. Nice and lightweight, even in hot weather. Now that you mention it, it might be good for the shop
too.

http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/searchresults/64059.aspx?feature=Product_2&kw=vest

John Gornall
07-28-2007, 12:24 PM
Brent, that one comes close. Just a little less bulky, remove the inside pockets and make the outside ones built in instead of sticking out and I think it would be good. I'm talking to a seamstress about making what I want.

Ken Barney
07-28-2007, 7:25 PM
Cross-strap apron with lots of pockets (Rockler), but no flaps. A real sawdust and chip catcher but I love it. The coss-strap is a must!

I'm the type that would lose my butt if it wasn't attached, so the pockets are a must for me. Always have pencil(s), a small tape measure, razor knife, and chalk in them.

-- TheMediaBoy

Keith Outten
07-28-2007, 7:59 PM

John,

Contact CW McClellan here at The Creek.
CW just shipped my new carpenters apron that he made custom for me. He can build just about any type of apron, vest or other shop garment you want. I sent him my 25 year old apron with instructions to make one very similar from cowhide.

I've seen the aprons CW makes from blue canvas, the material is very light and durable. Sounds like what you are looking for :)