PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick the right saw

Cory Millet
07-25-2007, 11:16 PM
Hello people, I'm a novice woodworker. I have slowly accrued a very nice set of woodworking tools. I'm ready to buy the piece that I need the most. I need a circular saw with a guide system. I'm very interested in the Festool setups. I would like to buy the TS-55 but am afraid it will lack the power for jobs I may come do in the future. Would enjoy your input very much.

Jamie Buxton
07-25-2007, 11:47 PM
I've got a TS55. I use it to process plywood, and to straightline lumber. It has enough power to do this. As far as I can see, the only reason to buy the TS75 is for the capacity to cut thicker materials. The '55 will cut 8/4 lumber. Think about what you plan to do with your saw.

Cory Millet
07-25-2007, 11:56 PM
Honestly 90% of my work is cutting MDF to build speaker boxes. I built alot of subwoofer and speaker boxes be it for Automotive or Home Theater that is what most of my work consist of.

Jamie Buxton
07-26-2007, 12:09 AM
Honestly 90% of my work is cutting MDF to build speaker boxes. I built alot of subwoofer and speaker boxes be it for Automotive or Home Theater that is what most of my work consist of.

The '55 will do just fine. One of the good things about it is the dust collection, which is real valuable around MDF.

The saw comes with a short guide rail (55"?). That's not enough to rip an 8 foot sheet. I bought a long rail too (105"?).

Don Taylor
07-26-2007, 12:12 AM
I have the TS 55 and I cut double sheets of plywood and 2X4's with it so far. No sign of it even wanting to slow down and I have never seen a smoother cut!

I made this frame to use for cutting down plywood sheets.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p48/Dontee47/image189.jpg

After cutting the floor for my new rolling sheet cart, I noticed that the blade of the saw had cut down the length on one of the 2x4’s of the frame. That little TS 55 had been buried in wood the whole 8' of the cut and I didn't feel any difference in its performance at all.

It spends little time in its box I use it way too much.

DT

Michael Schwartz
07-26-2007, 12:27 AM
There is an alternative to the fesstool. Come check out the EZ smart forum, here at SMC. I dont want to start an EZ vs Fesstool war, but each system has its merrits, and I personally feel the EZ is more versatile. As far as a saw I use a Hilti WSC267 which is a wormdrive and It cuts through 3/4 inch plywood like a hot knife through butter.

My blade of choice is a Frued 40 tooth Diablo finish blade, 15 bucks at home depot, and it makes beautiful cuts in both hardwoods and plywood.

Here is my EZ smart power bench, an adaptation of the basic guide conponents which I started out with. The table is complete with plywood modules that slide out, a rip style fence, 90 degree square, and a million possibilities for stops and jigs.

Again I started out with just the guide rail and saw base, but added to it.

I custom built this bench to my needs, but Dino makes a standard version of it.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z38/Masterbuilder97/PBBSM4.jpg

This picture shows the guide rail and smartsquare/handle. I checked the cut with my Starrett and it was dead perfect. I am using my framing saw, my Hilti WSC 167, not my 267 which I am using exclusively with the system right now for these cuts.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z38/Masterbuilder97/Upload5.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z38/Masterbuilder97/Cutquality.jpg

I am not getting paid by Eurekazone either, I am just a fan of their system.

Steveo O'Banion
11-28-2007, 12:21 PM
Michael, I'm comparing the two systems right now. My BIG concern with EZ is, how do you get the blade perfectly parallel with the EZ fence since you have to attach it to your existing saw?

If I go EZ with the 105" rail and go buy a new Bosch worm gear CC at $190.00 at Lowes, I'll have spent about $295.00 plus tax and shipping.

If I buy the Festool TS55 and the additional rail to get 100+", I'll have spent about $520.00 plus tax and shipping but I'm more confident that my blade will be parallel to the fence and stay that way. (Festool users I realize there is more to the Festool system than that).

Finally, what about tearout on plywood using the EZ? Festool seems to have that covered very well.

You're a solid EZ user and bought into the system, I want your experienced, if somewhat biased opinion. :D

Steve