PDA

View Full Version : Add-on drill press laser mini gloat...

Bill Huber
07-25-2007, 10:22 PM
I ordered a Drill Press Laser from Woodcraft and it came today, very nice.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5475

It was packed very well and is made very well, cast aluminum body and good hardware.

You get the main unit, 2 different size hose clamps, an allen wrench and a white metal pointed rod with a line on the side. You have to provide the 9 v. battery.

Mounting is a nothing job, run the clamp though the slots in the house and tighten it up to the column.
Set up is very easy, chuck the rod in the chuck, turn on the laser and make a few adjustments with the allen wrench and its done. I think maybe it too me all of 15 or 20 min. for the whole job.
It has you adjusting the top screw and then the 2 on the bottom but I found it was much easier to loosen both and then make both adjustments at one time. Then tighten things up and go back one at a time to get it spot on. You do the one side at a time and then you test it. It sound dump but a flashlight will help you see the laser line on the white rod.

I tested it by placing Xs on a board and then denting the board with the white rod. The center of the x was right in the middle of the dent just where it should be.

All in all for $40 its a very nice addition to my drill press. It is really nice for larger bits like forstner bits where it is hard to see under the bit, to see if is hitting its mark.

Tom Veatch
07-26-2007, 2:52 AM
... It is really nice for larger bits like forstner bits where it is hard to see under the bit, to see if is hitting its mark.

Which is why I've been mulling over buying something similar. Haven't squeezed the trigger yet because of something I've not seen addressed in the advertising/specifications.

It's a fairly simple matter to set up two laser lines to intersect at a given point on the table, but unless the planes of the lasers are exactly parallel to the axis of the DP's column, the target point on the table will shift as the table height is adjusted. I presume the pointed white rod with the line is used to align the laser planes with the chuck centerline - which is assumed to be parallel/colinear with the quill - which is assumed to be parallel with the column axis.

So, my question: Have you noticed whether or not the target point remains properly aligned on the work when the table height changes (or when the thickness of the work piece is significantly different)?

Barry Anderson
07-26-2007, 3:22 PM
Yea, I bought one of these a few months ago. It's an amazing tool!! It really helps with my aging eyes. I've been drilling holes spot on ever since I've gotten it.

Barry in WV

Bill Huber
07-27-2007, 12:10 PM
So, my question: Have you noticed whether or not the target point remains properly aligned on the work when the table height changes (or when the thickness of the work piece is significantly different)?

Sorry I missed this...

To answer your question I have raised and lowered the table and it still is spot on. It works just fine with different woods, the thickness of the wood is the same a raising and lowering the table.

I do think it is like any other shop tool, if you take the time to get it set right on to start with then it will work much better. Again the set up is easy and to do it right only takes a few min.