PDA

View Full Version : Television armoire is finished (pics)

Fred Voorhees
07-25-2007, 9:09 PM
Just finished up tonight mounting the hardware back on the doors and mounting them up to the carcass. I guess this project took about a month or so of "here and there" efforts.

The unit measures roughly four feet across the back and angles in towards the front at 16 degrees (I wanted to do something different). The four foot measurement in the back was sized so that the LCD tv would still fit within. It stand a bit over five feet tall with the oak crown attached. The unit if 16 inches deep.

Plenty of 3/4" oak ply was used, both for the sides and the shelving, laminating some solid oak nosing to the equipment shelf up top and to a middle shelf within the bottom storage cabinet due to their being exposed. Solid oak was used for the face frame and raised panel doors below, of course with the exception of the walnut panels up above. Hardware is from Rockler and the "catches" are rare earth magents buried inside the door frames and to a small piece of oak at the top of the opening. They were from Lee Valley.

I complimented the oak crown with a 1" wide dental moulding that I fabbed up in the shop.

This was the first project that I ever "pre-finished" - confining that to the shelving and inside of the sides. It made it ever so much easier to do the final finishing without having to reach around inside the unit afterward to do the finishing. Speaking of finish, the entire project got up to eight coats of a wipe on tung oil and polyurethane finish. The walnut panels in the upper doors were finished using Waterlox.

Still need to go in there and straighten up the wiring up top for a neater appearence.

Jim Becker
07-25-2007, 9:26 PM
Another outstanding job, Fred! It's nice how you carried through the walnut accent design from the bar area, too...looks great!

Alan Tolchinsky
07-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Nice job Fred. I like the contrasting woods. Very cool. Alan

Don Bullock
07-26-2007, 12:10 AM
Fred, that looks very nice. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it. BTW - I hate wires.:p

scott spencer
07-26-2007, 5:29 AM
That's a great looking piece Fred. Is that your design?

Jeffrey Makiel
07-26-2007, 6:58 AM
Hey Fred...well done! Now it's popcorn time at the Vorhees household!
-Jeff :)

Roy Wall
07-26-2007, 9:23 AM
excellent Fred! Love the walnut and the dentil moulding....NICE!!!

Charles Jackson III
07-26-2007, 11:17 AM
Very nice work, Fred.

Doug Shepard
07-26-2007, 12:10 PM
That looks great. The walnut adds a nice touch.

One little detail I cant make out though.
What's that you're watching on TV?:D

Fred Voorhees
07-26-2007, 5:02 PM
That's a great looking piece Fred. Is that your design?

Scott, yes and no...sort of. I cruised the "net" - via google with an "armoire" search and looked at various styles and settled on a combination that I found appealing.

Eugene A. Manzo III
07-26-2007, 11:32 PM
I love the style of the cabinet and your wood selection. Can you teach me how to cut moulding that nicely. Great Job !!!

Fred Voorhees
07-27-2007, 5:38 AM
Scott, yes and no...sort of. I cruised the "net" - via google with an "armoire" search and looked at various styles and settled on a combination that I found appealing.

Although Scott, I should mention that the bi-fold doors were kind of a needed option. You can see that there is a doorway just to the left of the unit. Had I put regular style doors on the upper portion, the left side door would have swung way out to the side and prevented a roomy pass through from the family room out into the kitchen.