PDA

View Full Version : Template Tracing/Tempered Masonite

Jared Greenberg
07-25-2007, 7:13 PM
I was recently at a spindle shop and the owner showed me a little jig that he found in a wood working magazine (he ended up making it himself).

Basically it was a piece of wood (I would guess 4x4x1) that came to a point on one of the sides. It had a hole drilled out on an angle with a pen and a set screw holding the pen in place. The pen and point came together at the exact place, so that when you were tracing a piece for a template it follwed the piece.

Has anyone used, made or know where to find such an animal. I am kicking myself for not take a picture of it, even though I do remember the basic jist of it.

Also does anyone know where to get Tempered Masonite?

Tom Veatch
07-25-2007, 8:00 PM
...Also does anyone know where to get Tempered Masonite?

Tempered hardboard ("Masonite" is a brand name/trademark) should be available in just about any outlet that sells sheet goods - 'though I'm finding a definite shortage of 1/4" at the local Lowes/Home Depot.

Jared Greenberg
07-26-2007, 3:16 PM
Thanks for that info.

Any ideas on the tracing jig?

glenn bradley
07-26-2007, 5:16 PM
Tempered hardboard ("Masonite" is a brand name/trademark) should be available in just about any outlet that sells sheet goods - 'though I'm finding a definite shortage of 1/4" at the local Lowes/Home Depot.

Might be geographical. No BORG around me carries 1/4 in full sheets. My local lumber yard carries it.