PDA

View Full Version : First NE

Jeff Bower
07-25-2007, 5:36 PM
Here is a pic of my first NE bowl. I think it is locust finished with Minwax Tounge Oil Finish. It's around 3.5"hX5.5"w. Critiques are welcome. Thanks.

TYLER WOOD
07-25-2007, 5:58 PM
I peraonally would like to see a shot from a little higher angle to see the inside more. It looks to be a little thick. The wood is absolutely wonderful. I like the shape, but for total form like I said it seems a little on the heavy side. Could be the camera angle, not sure. What is your wall thickness?

William Bachtel
07-25-2007, 6:13 PM
That will get you started. My first NE bowl was a little thick too.

Bernie Weishapl
07-25-2007, 7:45 PM
Great first NE. I agree without seeing a different angle looks a little thick but then my first one was that way. I was afraid of going thru the side. Keep'em coming.

Jeff Bower
07-25-2007, 9:12 PM
Thanks for the comments. The walls are a little heavy, but hey I'm just getting started. I think the sides are around more than 1/4" but less than 1/2". I don't have it as my MIL bought it!! She insisted she pay for it since I've given her a few other bowls. She also keeps an eye out for wood for me!! Here are a few more shots from above I have.

Mike A. Smith
07-25-2007, 9:54 PM
Much better pictures this time Jeff. The first pic really looked like it was over an inch thick. I have yet to do a NE, but I think this looks great for a first. (hope mine will turn out as well).

Steve Schlumpf
07-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Wow Jeff - that's quite the wood! Very nice first effort!

Mike Vickery
07-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Much better pic I also thought it looked like the walls realllllllly thick on the first pic.
Since you asked for a critique here is my take. The wall thickness for this sized piece does not bother me. I know many preferr them thinner but it does not bother me. Their are two things I do not like about this. The edge does not appear to be natural in spots and solid wood in other. I like more consistency on the edge one way or another.
The shape of the outside I am not crazy about it looks like you need a much smaller base for this.
These are just my opinions and it is kind of hard to tell detail in the pictures so take it with a grain of salt.

Kevin Day
07-25-2007, 11:52 PM
sweet piece jeff keep up the good work

i love the form and finish

Ron Fleice
07-26-2007, 5:52 AM
Well Jeff thats not bad for your first HF... certainly better than I did.
And hey you SOLD it so someone is happy with it...keep up the good work
Ron

Ron Fleice
07-26-2007, 5:54 AM
Sorry Jeff its hardly a HF ....NE is what I meant but you knew that :D
Ron

Joseph Peacock
07-26-2007, 9:52 PM
That is nice Mr.Jeff!!!!!!!!!!!!:D ;) :cool:

Tom Sherman
07-27-2007, 9:43 AM
You got a good start there Jeff, keep em comin.