PDA

View Full Version : 15% off Customer Appreciation Sale at Redmond Machinery

Scott Loven
07-25-2007, 4:07 PM
July 26-31
A recon Delta DJ-20 8 inch jointer (http://www.redmondmachinery.com/browse.cfm/4,509.html) for $795-15%=$675.67. Not bad! I ordered from them before and had great service.
Scott

John Schreiber
07-25-2007, 4:17 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=59207&highlight=post+redmond+general

Rob Bodenschatz
07-25-2007, 4:43 PM
July 26-31
A recon Delta DJ-20 8 inch jointer (http://www.redmondmachinery.com/browse.cfm/4,509.html) for $795-15%=$675.67. Not bad! I ordered from them before and had great service.
Scott

You're kidding, right?

Scott Loven
07-25-2007, 4:49 PM
I had a jointer come in from Grizzly that had the shipping box all smashed-up. I examined everything from bow to stern before I accepted it. As I understand it, the carrier is responsible for damage that occurs after they pick it up, and once you accept it, it is yours.
Scott

Jason Boushard
07-25-2007, 4:50 PM
Scott I don't think you are going to find many people here willing to deal with Redmond no matter what the discount myself included

Mark Rios
07-25-2007, 4:58 PM
Customer Appreciation??????????............Redmond????????. ..................

Jason Boushard
07-25-2007, 6:51 PM
my thoughts exactly mark and Scott you need to read the whole thread before you comment on it there are lots of in and outs to it. Redmond totally left him hanging in the wind.

Chris Kalkowski
07-25-2007, 7:32 PM
LMAO :D not me -- local only after the horror stories

Mark Rios
07-25-2007, 8:10 PM
my thoughts exactly mark and Scott you need to read the whole thread before you comment on it there are lots of in and outs to it. Redmond totally left him hanging in the wind.

Jason et al, while I still stand by my above post (my first one that I edited would have been removed :D ), Scott may have indeed had a good experience with Redmond. He may be very comfortable with their service and he certainly has the right to his opinion about them and to make his purchases from them.

On the other hand Scott, there are a lot of us that are VERY unwilling to take the risk after having lived (vicariously) through Gary's ordeal. Gary's experience with Redmond may be few and far between but who wants to take the risk on big tool money with many other tool sources out there with proven track records?

Edit: I just went back and read Scott's original post and I caught that the sale is on a reconditioned DJ- 20. Another set of shivers just ran through me. :D :D :D

John Hain
07-25-2007, 9:36 PM
I thought this thread was in humor as well.

Does anyone think this sale is a direct result of all the negativity floating around a couple woodworking sites recently concerning Redmond?

If you feel good about Redmond and have had good experiences, then I say go for it. However, you won't see me going there.

Hopefully, they won't make you write a positive response about them on this site after the purchase...........:o

Tim Morton
07-25-2007, 10:28 PM
I'm just glad all you guys are all perfect 100% of the time.:rolleyes:

Bruce Benjamin
07-25-2007, 10:35 PM
There will always be a few people who will shop from anyone no matter what their customer service history is if there is a chance of saving a few bucks. That's their right, of course. If there weren't so many other good companies to buy from it would be more understandable to me. But there are other places that offer good deals and good customer service. Some people are just a lot more forgiving than others if there's a chance to save a buck. To each their own.

But this is sure a very funny thread considering the huge load of bad press, (completely justified in my opinion) that they recently got on this forum. No doubt that Redmond is in full damage control mode and they're reaching out to anyone who will side with them. NOT ME THOUGH! :)

Bruce

Steve Clardy
07-25-2007, 10:42 PM

Lol....... :D

Michael Schwartz
07-25-2007, 11:03 PM
I am not sure I would buy from them, I would rather pay more to buy from a company that I am absolutely sure would take care of me. Saving a few bucks is nce, but I don't take chances with expensive purchases, and if I have to fork over a few bucks for service I am confident will be good, I will.

David Eisan
07-25-2007, 11:11 PM
I still don't get why everyone is mad at Redmond, and yes I read the whole thread.

The shipping company broke the jointer and somehow Redmond should be on the hook. I don't get it.

I had some machinery show up at work the other day and there was another skid on the truck sitting at 45º after it had fallen off another odd shaped skid. Pity whoever that was going to.

I am not trying to feed the flames, but lets lay the blame where it belongs, his jointer was dumped hard by the shipping company, that is how the casting got broken.

Unless of course, you contend that Redmond knowingly shipped him a broken jointer, which would just be plain stupid on their part and contrary to common sense.

David, Who sees all kinds of shipping damage on a daily basis.

John Hain
07-25-2007, 11:21 PM

It's not about the first mistake. It's about the way it was handled that led to the larger customer service errors.

You should be able to make that distinction.

David Eisan
07-25-2007, 11:59 PM
It's not about the first mistake. It's about the way it was handled that led to the larger customer service errors.

You should be able to make that distinction.

This is just another sign of the litigious society that we live in, it is always someone else's fault.

There is only one fault. The shipping company mishandled that shipment.

Should Redmond have pursued the shipping company on the OP's behalf, perhaps, but a judicious inspection would have prevented the entire problem. A chunk of cast iron missing should be rather obvious.

The first problem was that it was damaged during shipment. The second problem was that it was signed for without a full inspection. A chunk of casting missing is more than a minor oversight.

Why doesn't anyone attach any responsibly to the receiver? Does inexperience let one off the hook? If you don't know to look for damage on receipt of a shipped item, simple, your uneducated mistake. Chalk this one up to experience, irrespective of the learning cost, check next time and don't blame the wrong person.

If you are not familiar with common shipping practices, buy locally, otherwise expect a steep learning curve.

David.

Bruce Benjamin
07-26-2007, 12:08 AM
I still don't get why everyone is mad at Redmond, and yes I read the whole thread.

The shipping company broke the jointer and somehow Redmond should be on the hook. I don't get it.

I had some machinery show up at work the other day and there was another skid on the truck sitting at 45º after it had fallen off another odd shaped skid. Pity whoever that was going to.

I am not trying to feed the flames, but lets lay the blame where it belongs, his jointer was dumped hard by the shipping company, that is how the casting got broken.

Unless of course, you contend that Redmond knowingly shipped him a broken jointer, which would just be plain stupid on their part and contrary to common sense.

David, Who sees all kinds of shipping damage on a daily basis.

You may have read the thread but it doesn't sound to me like you understood all of the details. I believe that there was some question as to who was really responsible for the shipping damage. I could be mistaken but I think the box wasn't open but there was a missing piece of metal and it wasn't in the box. The jointer was shipped in a very poorly packed manner. Redmond wasn't doing much at all to help with dealing with the shipper even if it was the shipper's fault. There were other errors in customer service committed by Redmond but it's been a while since I read the thread and I don't feel like reliving it.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion if Redmond handled this well or not. Obviously, you don't think they did anything wrong. You have thicker skin than me under these circumstances and judging by the overwhelming response against Redmond in the ultra-long thread, your skin is thicker than just about everyone else's who responded.

I don't think anyone was surprised that sometimes large items are damaged in shipping. I think the point was that it's not always the fault of the shipping company. Or at least not entirely. And how the company that shipped the item handles the problem is also a key ingredient. In this case much of the blame for the damage rests on Redmond and how they handled the problem afterwords was also pretty poor.

Bruce

Steven Triggs
07-26-2007, 1:47 AM
What are any of us going to gain from all this arguing back and forth? If you want to order from Redmond, do. If you don't want to order from them, don't. We can all draw our own conclusions about whether or not they are worthy of our business. Why argue over opinions?

Bruce Benjamin
07-26-2007, 2:43 AM
Why argue over opinions?

Because it's fun. Why do you bother to whine about people arguing back and forth about opinions? If you don't want to read people's arguments, then don't read them. I don't see the difference between what you are complaining about and what you just posted. Well, except that the arguing posts actually contained some thoughtful content...:rolleyes: :D

Bruce

Steven Triggs
07-26-2007, 2:50 AM
Because it's fun. Why do you bother to whine about people arguing back and forth about opinions? If you don't want to read people's arguments, then don't read them. I don't see the difference between what you are complaining about and what you just posted. Well, except that the arguing posts actually contained some thoughtful content...:rolleyes: :D

Bruce

I see a huge difference. Some of the arguments being made were just rude, although I must say the post you just made takes the cake!:mad:

All I was asking was that people be a little more civil.

Scot wolf
07-26-2007, 6:59 AM
So, IF one would order from them. How does one go about getting the discount?

Maurice Ungaro
07-26-2007, 9:27 AM
What Tim and David said.

I'm sure if you dig hard enough, you can find at least ONE horror story regarding any company. While psychologists will tell you that doing anything once constitutes a habit, you have to ascertain whether it's a weak habit or a strong habit.

Having been in the restaurant business for years, sometimes you'ld get a customer where nothing went right. Although you may have had to do damage control, re-educate staff, etc., the damage in that person's mind was done. Some will give you a second chance and others will not. I always told my staff that if someone has a good experience, they'll tell 10 of their friends. If they have a bad experience, they'll tell 50 to 100 of their friends.

Maurice Ungaro
07-26-2007, 9:30 AM
So, IF one would order from them. How does one go about getting the discount?

Use the code CUSTAPP at checkout. That's what the sales flyer that I got stated.

Scott Loven
07-26-2007, 9:45 AM
There is a code from the web site that you put in at check-out. I believe that you can go into the store and get the same discount, takes care of the shipping issue.
It looks to me like you can order a Kreg K3 for$139-15%+use the $20 off kreg coupon.
Scott

Jim O'Dell
07-26-2007, 10:11 AM
What are any of us going to gain from all this arguing back and forth? If you want to order from Redmond, do. If you don't want to order from them, don't. We can all draw our own conclusions about whether or not they are worthy of our business. Why argue over opinions?

People don't argue about things that they don't have some passion for. Unless, that is, that their passion is argueing!! There are strong feelings on both sides of this issue. If you have had only good experiences with this company, then your passion is for the company. If you have had a bad experience with them, or maybe a bad experience with another company, it is very easy to transfer that to a company someone else had a problem with, even if you have never had any dealings with them personally. Human nature. Personally, I'd be leary of them because of this thread, and not having any other personal experience with them to counter it. The main thing I see is that it could have all been avoided from the beginning, but wasn't. Jim.

Bruce Benjamin
07-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Having been in the restaurant business for years, sometimes you'ld get a customer where nothing went right. Although you may have had to do damage control, re-educate staff, etc., the damage in that person's mind was done. Some will give you a second chance and others will not. I always told my staff that if someone has a good experience, they'll tell 10 of their friends. If they have a bad experience, they'll tell 50 to 100 of their friends.

I was also in the restaurant industry for many years. You're right that occasionally there will be a customer where everything went wrong. But the difference between a succession of errors in a restaurant, (at least any where I worked or ran) and the problems at Redmond were that the ones at Redmond weren't accidents. At least not for the most part that I saw in Gary's description. I don't think they meant for the jointer to break but I think there is some question as to it's condition before it was packed. Certainly, it was very poorly packed and that wasn't an oversight. And then the way they handled Gary's inquiries and complaints weren't an accident either. They had choices to make and they made them. I never purposely sent out bad food to a customer and they never were purposely ignored by a waiter. We never said, "Nope, their food was crap but we aren't making it right." Redmond did that, in my opinion.

Bruce

Bob Wingard
07-26-2007, 4:56 PM
"I never purposely sent out bad food to a customer and they never were purposely ignored by a waiter. We never said, "Nope, their food was crap but we aren't making it right." Redmond did that, in my opinion."

I see your point, but that's not a really accurate analogy. If the waiter was an independant contractor, hired to deliver the food, and HE/SHE damaged it, it's not the cook's fault .. but he will, in all reality, share in the blame. I do not doubt for a moment that it could/should have been handled better, but, not knowing why they chose the path they did, I don't want to totally condemn them at this point.

I've been to Redmond & Sons many times, and I can't believe they intentionally or knowingly sent out a broken piece of equipment. That said, I will continue to patronize them, exercising perhaps a bit more caution than in the past. They have always been very friendly and cordial, and have gone out of their way to help me find a $10 part in their huge warehouse of used "stuff". Hopefully, this was an isolated incident, and just maybe they can, in time, recover their formerly pristine reputation.

Matt Meiser
07-26-2007, 6:23 PM
I do not doubt for a moment that it could/should have been handled better, but, not knowing why they chose the path they did, I don't want to totally condemn them at this point.

That is their own fault and my biggest problem with the whole deal--they've known about the thread for weeks. Since they've failed to give what they believe to be their side of the story, I can only believe that they don't dispute what's been said. Also, I could care less about what the law technically says about shipping damage. If I buy something and it gets damaged, I expect to get whatever help is necessary resolving the issue from the shipper who paid the carrier. We've all heard stories about Amazon and Grizzly bending over backward to help people out with shipping damage. As far as I'm concerned, whether I buy locally or from the other side of the earth, I don't consider the sale complete until I've assembled and tested.

To be fair, Redmond did at one point offer a refund. It is not fair to say that the crate wasn't expected as it was stated that there was no obvious external damage to the crate and the concealed damage was reported immediately upon discovery.

Rob Bodenschatz
07-26-2007, 6:36 PM
We've all heard stories about Amazon and Grizzly bending over backward to help people out with shipping damage.

Yup. Exactly why my money goes to them and not Redmond. It's called "taking care of your customers". Redmond missed a great opportunity to do that. They won't see a dime from me.

Bruce Benjamin
07-26-2007, 11:13 PM
"I never purposely sent out bad food to a customer and they never were purposely ignored by a waiter. We never said, "Nope, their food was crap but we aren't making it right." Redmond did that, in my opinion."

I see your point, but that's not a really accurate analogy. If the waiter was an independant contractor, hired to deliver the food, and HE/SHE damaged it, it's not the cook's fault .. but he will, in all reality, share in the blame. I do not doubt for a moment that it could/should have been handled better, but, not knowing why they chose the path they did, I don't want to totally condemn them at this point.

My analogy was just an extension of your analogy. If mine isn't really accurate then neither is yours. I DO believe that Redmond really dropped the ball to begin with and then showed what they are capable of, (or not capable of) when they refused to do everything they could to get Gary a jointer in good working condition.

If we must continue with the restaurant analogy how 'bout this: I buy a pizza and I'm carrying it out of the store. Another customer bumps into me as I'm just outside the door and my pizza flops out of the box and onto the sidewalk. A good pizza place with good customer service would make me another pizza for no charge because they want you to be happy and that gives you a reason to return. Redmond pizza would tell you to take it up with the guy who bumped into you. And this analogy is assuming that there wasn't already sidewalk grit on the pizza before you walked out the door with it. :rolleyes:

Bruce

Bob Wingard
07-27-2007, 1:22 AM
My analogy was just an extension of your analogy. If mine isn't really accurate then neither is yours. I DO believe that Redmond really dropped the ball to begin with and then showed what they are capable of, (or not capable of) when they refused to do everything they could to get Gary a jointer in good working condition.

If we must continue with the restaurant analogy how 'bout this: I buy a pizza and I'm carrying it out of the store. Another customer bumps into me as I'm just outside the door and my pizza flops out of the box and onto the sidewalk. A good pizza place with good customer service would make me another pizza for no charge because they want you to be happy and that gives you a reason to return. Redmond pizza would tell you to take it up with the guy who bumped into you. And this analogy is assuming that there wasn't already sidewalk grit on the pizza before you walked out the door with it. :rolleyes:

Bruce

I'm a bit confused here .. .. you are claiming that YOUR analogy (right or wrong) was an "EXTENSION" of MY analogy ?? ?? WHAT ANALOGY ?? ?? My post was in response to yours .. NOT the other way around !! !! !!

If I buy something mail-order, I ALWAYS use a credit card .. if it comes damaged, I file a legitimate dispute with the c.c. company and let them work it out with the seller and the shipper. It hasn't happened to me very many times, but when it has, this approach has never failed me. I'm off the hook until I get satisfactory product in my hands.

Also, it's a lot easier to be "gracious" regarding the material cost to replace a pizza than it is to replace a jointer that was already sold with a very slim profit margin. But, either way, it's just an option on the part of the seller .. .. NOT an obligation. There's customer service and then there's CUSTOMER SERVICE .. .. Redmond may not be the best in the world, but they're certainly NOT the worst.

Perhaps the reason (and I'm only stating MY opinion here) they've chosen to not respond here is that they feel the hostility, and know that it's futile to attempt to satisfy people like you who, having absolutely no horse in this race continue to blast them simply because they don't satisfy your level of expectation be it reasonable or otherwise.

Maurice Ungaro
07-27-2007, 8:30 AM
This whole thread has tuned into flame bait. I don't expect the mods to cancel this thread yet, but it's close, I'm sure.

Plain and simple - vote with your wallet. As for me, I've unsubcribed from this thread.

Good day, gentlemen.

Maurice

PS:
If you read through Gary's ordeal on the General jointer, you'll notice that General shipped out a replacement in the same fashion that Redmond shipped the original - ASSEMBLED.

Randy Denby
07-27-2007, 9:31 AM
My opinion.....like I make a difference:o Ya'll are forgetting an important part. Namely, that someone at redmond put rigid supports under the ends of the infeed/outfeed tables. So when the middle of the crate flexed from being dropped or whatever. it snapped the casting. Seems like someone wasnt thinking when crating it up. They thought they were doing right by supporting the ends, but didnt think it thru. So even tho it was shippers that damaged it, it was inevitable with the way it was packaged....notice General didnt support the ends like redmond did, even tho it was shipped assembled.

Zahid Naqvi
07-27-2007, 10:31 AM
seems like everything that needed to said has already been said in this thread, I am closing/locking it as it has started deviating from the original topic.