PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic Source?

Gregg Vaughn
07-25-2007, 3:22 PM
My several weeks of playing and learning now finds me with a first order for acrylic awards. I need a good source for clear sheets of cast acrylic 1/2" or 5/8" to cut awards from (a police badge shape). My awards will need to be cut from 8" x 8" squares, or the equivilent area on a sheet no larger than 18" x 24" (my Helix bed size).

Joe Pelonio
07-25-2007, 3:53 PM
You can cut that thick with 45 watts? I never tried over 3/8" since it's the upper limit according to the manual.

Look in the yellow pages or google plastic suppliers in the nearest good sized city. That stuff is heavy to ship. Around here there are probably a dozen places that have it and sell wholesale.

Gregg Vaughn
07-25-2007, 4:27 PM
In playing mode I've cut 1/2" @ 2/100/5000 in one pass with good results and 5/8" @ 20/100/5000 in two passes with good results. S L O W, but good ....

Frank Corker
07-25-2007, 6:39 PM
Gregg, as I have already mentioned I am cutting 20mm acrylic in one run. I was really suprised that the smoothest cut came from 2/100/500. I did a whole load of different attempts at different frequencies. Very slow allowed the beam to penetrate deeply, stay hot enough to blend into the next beam leaving a not too shabby finish. Even more weird (I wish I'd written all this down at the time for the exact figures) by moving the workpiece up above the focus point by 6 steps and lowering the power down to 80 I got a similar result!!! So there are lots of different ways of trying out new techniques.

Scott Shepherd
07-25-2007, 6:45 PM
Yup, cutting 1/2" thick extruded at the same speed, 2/100/500 on my 45W. Can't get through the cast quite as well. Also found that soaking the paper that comes on it in water and leaving it on the bottom is working quite well. Keeps the edge pretty darn safe.

I bought a half sheet 4'x4' and cut it into 18" x 24" pieces with a handheld skil-saw (and safety glasses!).

Carol VanArnam
07-25-2007, 10:37 PM
http://www.gepolymershapes.com/polyshapes/en/Products/ProductLanding/products.html

try these folks. they have great prices and excellent service. don't be afraid to ask them for samples. I've gotten a ton of samples from them. look for the one that is the closest to you. they sell everything and their prices beat all the companies i compared them with.

i don't try and figure out their web page i just call them and tell them what i'm doing. they tell me what product i want. be sure to always tell them you cut with a laser and you can not have any product with pvc. they will watch out for you that way....

My sales reps in Seattle are AWESOME. If you need a phone number or name let me know. THey ship have several offices and ship from all parts of the country. My guys can take your order but have it shipped from some place close to you.

(PS- my reps are so cool they do anything to help. I'd have to say I'd give them a 20 on a scale of 1-10 for service. Let me know if you want their phone number)

tell me about what kind of a badge you want. i have a lot of files but don't know the kind you want....