PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Cork

Jim Watkins
07-25-2007, 2:54 PM
Good afternoon all,
I am wanting to work with Cork (about 1/8" thick), but don't know where to start. I want to place an image on it first and would appreciate some setting starting point.

Raster and Vector cutting.

I would appreciate any opinions you might have so as to not waste too much stock.

Thanks all.

BTW, we just had our training yesterday from the distributer and it went great. We had him bring over PhotoGrav and it makes all the difference in the world and worth the $400 or so.

Joe Pelonio
07-25-2007, 3:14 PM
My Epilog is also 45 watts, and it could vary but I have done some 1/8" cork between acrylic coasters using the following:

Rastor: Speed 95, Power 30

Vector: Speed 60, Power 30, Freq 1000

Jim Watkins
07-26-2007, 9:22 AM
Thanks Joe,
I appreciate the starting point.

I just had my training two days ago which went really well and I would have tried it last night, but I got home from work and my PC crashed. NO power or anything. I don't know if it is the power supply or the switch but, well at least it made it through the training...

I'll give it a try when I am back up and running.

Thanks again.

Joe Pelonio
07-26-2007, 9:46 AM
Do you have a Dell? I had an older one where the switch went, and a newer one where the power supply went. You can get a good replacement power supply elsewhere for $50 or less, a switch would have to come from Dell and takes a long time on the phone. Good luck.

Jim Watkins
07-26-2007, 1:16 PM
Thanks Joe, No it is a put together pc from pieces. It was my game computer which generally worked very well, but it may be time to buy a new one since I need the reliability for my business.

have a great day.

Brian Robison
07-26-2007, 1:39 PM
Dell Computors

Richard Rumancik
07-26-2007, 6:10 PM
Do you have a Dell? I had an older one where the switch went, and a newer one where the power supply went. You can get a good replacement power supply elsewhere for $50 or less . . .

Okay, Jim doesn't have a Dell, but just to warn other people . . . Dell uses a "special" power supply on some models. If you use a regular PC power supply on these you will blow up the mainboard. So be careful in using universal power supplies in Dells - check for compatibility first.

Not sure which models are involved and if Dell still does this in new equipment.

Joe Pelonio
07-26-2007, 6:26 PM
Mine is a Dimension 4600. The replacement was actually more watts than the original but had on the box "for Dell" and others had "Not for Dell" so I guess the aftermarket people eventually figured it out. It has worked fine for a year now.

Abdul Baseer Hai
07-28-2007, 2:57 PM
Here are a few pictures I have done on cork. The cork is 1/8 and photograv was used.
On a 50 watt machie the settings were S100, P20
abdul

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=59426&d=1173024281

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=59424&d=1173024246

Jim Watkins
07-28-2007, 4:51 PM
I just finished making about 10 4"x4" coasters with PhotoGrav processed images of me and some of my family. They came out great. I'll post some tonight or tomorrow.

so I don't forget, my settings were 35 Pwr and 100 Sp. 2 300 DPI. It was complete in just under 3 minutes each.

Dave Jones
07-29-2007, 4:10 PM
What is a good source for cork?

I'm interested in two thicknesses. One that would be thin enough to use as padding on the bottom of other items or glued on top of something else and engraved. (maybe 1/16"?)

The other kind would be some that is thick enough to use by itself as coasters. (maybe 3/16" or 1/4"?) Those could be in sheets or precut as coasters. Precut would be more convenient for coasters, though if they cost a lot more, maybe not worth it. I guess precut could be round or square (with rounded corners)

James Rambo
07-29-2007, 4:51 PM
A couple of years ago my older son was trying his hand at installing tile (with a little help from a freind of his that had been doing it for about 10 years). He brought home a peice of cork that they were using as an underlayment in a condominium project. It measures about 7/32 inch thick. It toke in couple of days to get it to lay flat because it had been rolled up. (5 feet x 20 feet). I beleive it was purchased at the place where they got the tile. It is very good quality. I also purchased a 20 peice trial assortment from 'The Walton Company, Huntington Beach, Ca.they came with a mdf backer precut and glued. Do an internet search for Protectomat.

Jim Watkins
07-30-2007, 1:44 AM
Here is one of the coasters I did the other day

This photo was of myself, my son (2nd b-day), and Mom.

This was processed with PhotoGrav, "Medium Tan Smooth Leather" setting, then engraved on a 4" x 4" x 1/8" piece of cork with rounded corners @ setting 25.

Worked out great. I am sold on PhotoGrav and am thankful I didn't wait around for this purchase and waste product.

Barbara Buhse
08-01-2007, 12:46 PM
Are you all purchasing pre-cut pieces of cork or pre-made cork coasterss, or making your own shapes with the laser? If you're making your own, how do you keep it from burning on the edges? Right now the only coasters I do are on tumbled marble tiles but I'd like to make some inexpensive cork ones for giveaways.

Barbara

Mark Koenig
08-01-2007, 1:01 PM
What is a good source for cork?

I'm interested in two thicknesses. One that would be thin enough to use as padding on the bottom of other items or glued on top of something else and engraved. (maybe 1/16"?)

The other kind would be some that is thick enough to use by itself as coasters. (maybe 3/16" or 1/4"?) Those could be in sheets or precut as coasters. Precut would be more convenient for coasters, though if they cost a lot more, maybe not worth it. I guess precut could be round or square (with rounded corners)

Search around this site... Was very happy with thier service...
http://www.schooloutfitters.com/catalog/product_family_info/cPath/CAT3_CAT35/pfam_id/PFAM1817

Jim Watkins
08-01-2007, 9:55 PM
I cut this with the laser and it is thin enough that it didn't burn.