PDA

View Full Version : Laser Birdhouse Plans?

Ed Maloney
07-25-2007, 2:46 PM
A possible customer is asking if I could manufacture a small birdhouse and engrave family names on them. Anyone have a plan and/or source?

Thanks!

Ed

Kenneth Hertzog
07-25-2007, 3:35 PM
Ed
the epilog web site has a small bird house
kind of hard to assemble though
ken

Jeanette Brewer
07-25-2007, 3:48 PM
http://www.epiloglaser.com/sc_birdhome.htm

Mark Koenig
07-25-2007, 4:49 PM
I made some of those Epilog houses... Let me say, that's one long winded program!!!:mad:

I would remove all the shingle rastering, enlarge the birds hole in the front, and add some assembly tabs before messing with one of those again...:rolleyes:

Would be interested if anyone had a better .cdr file to share...

Mark.

P.S> Not bashing Ya' Epilog... Love my Laser!!!

Frank Corker
07-25-2007, 6:41 PM
I agree with Mark. It looked great but it was way too long to do, hole was a little on the tiny side, the gluing was fiddly. But hey, I don't have to live in it!!

Kenneth Hertzog
07-25-2007, 8:29 PM
I agree that the assembly process is quite hard
I really liked the bird house once assembled
some of the flaws is no tabs and no way to clean it
I'm currently working on a redesign to add tabs and
make the bottom so it would open to clean
also maybe a little bigger
ken
but what do I know:D

Frank Corker
07-26-2007, 5:16 AM
Good luck with that one Ken and if you are feeling generous with your design please (pretty please) post it

Bill Cunningham
07-26-2007, 9:49 PM
The Epilog samples page gives a newbie something to play with and say "ain't that neat". Most seem to be designed by people who have the machine as a hobby, or have nothing better to do.. Don't get me wrong, their not useless, they certainly allow new users to gain some experience. It's just that I rarely see anything 'really' useful other than for 'personal decorations'

mike sub
07-27-2007, 9:34 AM
:confused: hi guys
I'm more of a lurker than a poster but here is something I came up with a while ago for some craft shows

mike

ken I will try to get in touch with you soon about getting together

Jim Good
07-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Mike,

I was checking out your birdhouse file and it appears to have about 5 or more lines on top of each other. Whoever uses this file needs to eliminate the extra lines before lasering.

Jim

Mark Koenig
07-27-2007, 10:55 AM
I went ahead and took out the extra lines for anyone else that wants to give it a try... I saved it in Version 9...

Mark...

mike sub
07-27-2007, 12:14 PM
sorry about that

i was cutting 1/4 inch last time and used multi passes to get thru

mike
:D

Carol VanArnam
07-28-2007, 2:09 AM
Mike- thanks for the posting. I don't understand what the 2 small pieces are for? I get the bottom, 4 sides, the roof. What are those 2 other pieces for? What is the key hole shape whole for.....

mike sub
07-28-2007, 10:45 AM
key hole is for hanging and the other 2 pieces are for a perch

mike
:)

Ed Maloney
07-28-2007, 1:58 PM
Thanks Mike. Do you have a picture of an assembled one?

Carol VanArnam
07-28-2007, 7:21 PM
Thanks Mike. Do you have a picture of an assembled one?

Mike- Ed is only asking for a picture because he is to proud to ask the question I asked.....

ok another question Mike---- why are there 2 perches? Honest I did not hit my head and I'm not asking stupid questions.... I can't figure out why there is a second one.

PS- thanks for the other 2 tips.... i never would have guessed the answers you gave.

mike sub
07-29-2007, 9:34 AM
trying to get pics wk ends busy for us with racing and church

the 2 perchs are be cause if i remember right i cut some of these out of thinner material and needed the space to be filled in the hole.

mike sub
07-29-2007, 4:04 PM
here is a photo i found

sorry for not having all the revisions cleared up
:rolleyes: (homer thread 4 me )duh
mike

Bill Cunningham
07-31-2007, 10:17 PM
I want to find, or build a acrylic bird feeder.. I'm currently having a war of wits with a squirrel, and right now, the squirrel is winning!!! I have formed a sheet of plastic over the roof, and once he slipped and fell off a few times, he learned to hang upside down and drop to the wooden side.. I put a wobbly sheet of plastic like a big disk above the feeder, and again after sliding off a few times, he now found away around that too, by sliding down the disk, and grabbing the perch on the feeder like one of the flying wallendas! It's become a challenge to find something that will baffle the squirrel, and yet still be entertaining :D I figure a full plastic feeder that he can't get his claws into might be the next step in a quest for both..

Bob Cole
08-01-2007, 12:58 AM
I know I found a bird feeder on the creek but can't seem to find it now. I would like to give credit to who posted it. I downloaded the files, but I didn't create these.

If anyone knows who posted this and can put a reference, we can credit the truly talented.

I put it in my favorites. Here is the link:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58336

Bill Cunningham
08-02-2007, 9:44 PM
Hmmm I even posted on that thread, (had the squirrel problem then too) but for some reason I didn't try this feeder.. I probably posted from the house computer, and when I went to the shop, it had already vacated the old brain.. I'll have to send myself a note to try this..

Mark Koenig
08-03-2007, 7:30 PM
I posted the picture of the white one but cannot claim credit for the artwork... Make sure that you open up the small birds feet in the side cutout or it will break like Joseph said...

Here's the link to the original thread... Credit goes to Joseph B. Chritz for the file...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=588417#poststop

Don't think that feeder will solve your squirrel problem though... They are crafty little buggers... Sounds like you need an air rifle if they are that big of a problem...:rolleyes:

Mark...

P.S> I have more fun watching the squirrels than the birds... Except the Humming the Birds of course... I even have an outdoor rifle range on my property and the squirrels laugh at us because they know that they are safe... ;)

Now around here, Ground Hogs (mess up the yard and cows fall into their holes), Coyotes (they eat the baby deer and cows), Wild Dog Packs (They Will Attack You or your Pets!!!), and Skunks are a completely different story...

Bill Cunningham
08-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Don't think that feeder will solve your squirrel problem though... They are crafty little buggers... Sounds like you need an air rifle if they are that big of a problem...:rolleyes:

Mark...

P.S> I have more fun watching the squirrels than the birds... Except the Humming the Birds of course... I even have an outdoor rifle range on my property and the squirrels laugh at us because they know that they are safe... ;)

Now around here, Ground Hogs (mess up the yard and cows fall into their holes), Coyotes (they eat the baby deer and cows), Wild Dog Packs (They Will Attack You or your Pets!!!), and Skunks are a completely different story...

How many cows you got down there in those groundhog holes Mark? Must be big groundhogs :eek: Just kidding I pop 25 or 30 of those things every month on my Daughters farm(goundhogs, not cows:D).. The problem with an air rifle around here, are the hoplophobes wandering up and down the street.. They see a gun barrel, and the next thing I know the swat team will be kicking in my front door.. 35years ago, I could hop the back fence with my shotgun, I do that now, and the folks in the subdivision behind me will call the cops:D Just as well, it's an awful lot harder to hop fences now then it was 35 years ago.. They just don't make fences like they used to :rolleyes: