PDA

View Full Version : New HTC Fence Is Not Straight!

Derek Arita
03-02-2003, 2:17 PM
Just got a new HTC, Micro Adjust Fence and it is not straight. If I hold a straight edge against the fence surface, there are dips to the tune of about .008". The removable fence facing is held to the metal tube via clips that slide onto studs fixed onto the tube. To remove the facing, you slide the facing towards the user and facing pops off.
The dips occur right where the clips are. I've tried loosening the clips and adding paper shims, but it hasn't really helped. Any suggestions?

Bart Goldberg
03-02-2003, 6:34 PM
My new Jet cabinet saw comes with the same fence made by HTC. As I was setting up my new saw, I checked the fence alignment with my TSAligner and saw about the saw deviation over the length of the fence. I assume that the problem is with the UHMW side panels not being planed to perfect flatness. I haven't called Jet yet to complain, cause I'm not sure how much of a problem I think it is. I'd be curious for you opinion and the responses to this post.

Bart

Derek Arita
03-02-2003, 9:27 PM
I have the Xacta Fence II as well and it does not have this problem. The face seems to be flat as a, well, board. The problem with an undulating face is that short boards will tend to follow those undulations depending on where they fall. It will only effect it a small amount, but all of those little variations add up...how close is close enough? Dead on is what I always expect from a new tool.

Steven Wilson
03-03-2003, 1:23 AM
I had a similar problem on my Jet Contactors saw (Xacta fence) a few years ago. I took off the fence faces and deburred everything in sight from the fence face and the fence body. Reassembled everything, being very carefull on tightening things and I was able to get the error down to +- .003" which is good enough.

Stan Thigpen
03-03-2003, 11:09 AM
Derek, I just heard a comment about this problem at the Woodworking Show in Atlanta Saturday. Kelly Mehler was presenting a demo on table saw tuning and he mentioned this situation. He said that he was preparing a review of cabinet saws for Woodworker's Journal* and observed that the saws which had HDPE as the wearing surface of their rip fences "could not be used for accuract ripping without first shimming between the faces and the fence tube. In contrast, the Baltic birch faces were flat and straight on both sides."*

*WWJ, Apr. 2003

Bart Goldberg
03-03-2003, 11:17 AM
And they were going to send me out a new set of side plates. I'll let you know if the new side lates correct the problem.

Bart

Derek Arita
03-03-2003, 8:54 PM
Just called HTC and they are sending out another set of faces. It'll be interesting to see how straight the replacements are between Jet and HTC. I'm also anxious to read the article addressing this issue.

Scott Stefanoski
03-04-2003, 9:37 AM
you guys are much better than i am in your projects. If i buld something that is within a 1/16 of an inch correct, I am happy.