PDA

View Full Version : Spirit vs Explorer

Kevin Payne
07-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi all,

First off, I've been reading this forum for a while. Thanks for all the great info!

I'm looking at purchasing my first laser. After months research, talking to my local reps, shows, etc. I've narrowed my choice down to either a GCC Spirit 40W (29x18 bed) or a GCC Explorer 30W (38x20 bed). I can get either for the same price.

So my question to the 'creek is what would you recommend? Especially those who own or have used both of these machines.

I plan on using the laser for photographs and personalization of items, (although I plan on expanding into other things as well) so I don't have a critical need for the larger bed size right now. (I've read all the comments on more watts vs. larger bed, so I'm not trying to start another debate on that :) ). I'm mostly interested in comparing speed and quality of output, and any issues people might have found in day to day use of these machines.

Has anyone else had any experience comparing the two?

Thanks,
Kevin

Mike Null
07-25-2007, 11:07 AM
If you've decided on a GCC then I would go for a 30 watt Spirit for less money. If you're not doing a lot of acrylic or wood cutting there's no need to spend the extra money for wattage.

I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed the large table in 9 years.

Gary Hair
07-25-2007, 11:56 AM
I have the explorer and use the large bed several times a week. I seem to get a lot of production runs of various items and the large bed saves me a lot of time. I can do 200 aluminum "poker chips", ala Chewbarka, and it is nice to put them all in the laser and let it run for 30 minutes. The last run of 1,350 made it very worthwhile to have a large bed. I have done bats, pool cues and guitars in my laser, couldn't have done that otherwise.

The difference between Mike and me must be our market. I'm not saying either is better, or worse, just different. You need to try and determine your market and purchase accordingly.

If I had it to do over again, I would buy the large bed again, no question about it. If I had to choose between more power and a larger bed, I would choose the larger bed, hands down.

There isn't a whole lot I can't do with 30 watts but there is a lot I couldn't do with a smaller bed.

Just my .02

Gary

Mike Null
07-25-2007, 12:02 PM
Gary

I also do bats, pool cues, guitars, oars etc. I just open the front door.

Vicky Orsini
07-25-2007, 12:15 PM
I have the larger bed and it has come in very handy on numerous occasions. The extra 10 watts won't make a huge difference in your life, but the larger bed might mean you can accomodate a job that your competitors with smaller beds can't. ;)

Mike Mackenzie
07-25-2007, 12:43 PM
Laser wattage you can always change, Laser bed size you can not!!

Mike Hood
07-25-2007, 1:25 PM
Not to further confuse the decision, but I use the full table width all the time and don't think I'd have it any other way.

I can also engrave 1/2 or even full sheets with the explorer. You can't do that with the spirit. I also do a lot of parts cutting on model aircraft and UAV kitting. I wouldn't be able to do a lot of what pays for my equipment otherwise.

I sure like the pass-thrus and the wide bed. :)

Rodne Gold
07-25-2007, 2:53 PM
I run both machines , 3 of each.
Go for the Spirit, we have had a lot of issues with the explorer's. Our Spirits are a lot better in terms of lasering quality , reliability , ease of maintenance etc and I would willing trade the 30w Explorers we have for our 25w Spirits , even with their smaller bad sizes and slower speed. They are far better machines , trust me on this.