PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot Rant

Bob Moyer
07-25-2007, 7:55 AM
Last week I was scheduled to attend a Home Clinic, I drove the 20+ miles to my local HD only to find that the guy scheduled to teach the clinic blew off the class at the last minute.
The manager was too busy to talk to me, I finally recieved an e-mail response back from them; they informed me that they try and hire qualifed people; and they take these types of complaints seriously. They offered a $10 gift card as a gesture of maintaining my business and would hope that I would reschedule this week.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-25-2007, 9:04 AM
Take the $10.00 and don't get your lessons from a BORG.
I mean man, it's just a store.

Mike Langford
07-25-2007, 6:01 PM
$10 bucks wouldn't cover the gas in my ole gas hog truck!..........:eek:

David G Baker
07-25-2007, 6:13 PM
In Mid Michigan 30+ miles are local. In Upper Michigan 100+ may be local.

Tim Morton
07-25-2007, 6:46 PM
They offer free clinics...you got what you paid for:p

Bob Oswin
07-25-2007, 6:51 PM
Kind of like going to Mcdonalds for cooking lessons -:)

Bob

Jim Becker
07-25-2007, 9:01 PM
Kind of like going to Mcdonalds for cooking lessons

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19918347/

Rick Williams
07-25-2007, 10:58 PM
3-4 years ago went to HD with my Brother-in-law for a deck building seminar. No one in the store new a thing about it. It was on a sign at the front on their store. Last excursion to Home Depot for me...ever.

Bob Oswin
07-25-2007, 11:54 PM
O.K. Jim but what about my lessons?

But wait, I have already learned my lesson at HD!

Fool me once. -:)

Bob

Rob Russell
07-26-2007, 6:31 AM
Last week I was scheduled to attend a Home Clinic, I drove the 20+ miles to my local HD only to find that the guy scheduled to teach the clinic blew off the class at the last minute.
The manager was too busy to talk to me, I finally recieved an e-mail response back from them; they informed me that they try and hire qualifed people; and they take these types of complaints seriously. They offered a $10 gift card as a gesture of maintaining my business and would hope that I would reschedule this week.

So - let me get this straight.

HD hired someone to do a class that you signed up for. The class is FREE to you. The instructor cancelled "at the last minute". Rather than run a class with someone who is unqualified to teach a class, HD cancels the class and offers folks a $10 gift card as a way of saying they're sorry for the inconvenience. OK - the store manager was really busy and you couldn't complain directly to him that day. Other than "I'm sorry", what would you expect him to do beyond what they did? I understand the followup email was a bit slow in coming and that's certainly something that could have been better.

I guess I don't understand why this is anything to "rant" about. In general, what's the difference between this and showing up at your doctor's office to discover that the doctor's out sick and the receptionist missed your name on the "call them so they don't come" list? The doctor's office certainly wouldn't give you a $10 gift card as a way of saying they appreciate your business and hope you come back.

Bob Moyer
07-26-2007, 7:35 AM
I guess I am missing something by the tone of the replys; a company offers a free clinic; the free clinic is offered with the hope that the individual will then purchase the items from the store.

The individual hired does not show; I may have been the only one signed up for this class.

My point is there was a time in this country where, committments/appointments were met, if they could not individuals were informed and it was rescheduled.

In this age of cellphones, e-mail, answering machines, etc.; there is no reason for this lack of responsibility.

Our tolerance of this type of service is why this is the norm vs. what should be stardard business procedures.

The next time you miss a credit card payment or you forget to show up let me know what happens.

Bob Moyer
07-26-2007, 7:37 AM
[/quote]I guess I don't understand why this is anything to "rant" about. In general, what's the difference between this and showing up at your doctor's office to discover that the doctor's out sick and the receptionist missed your name on the "call them so they don't come" list? The doctor's office certainly wouldn't give you a $10 gift card as a way of saying they appreciate your business and hope you come back.[/quote]

Not sure about your doctor or dentist; but if I miss an appointment I am charged a $25.00 fee.

Jim King
07-26-2007, 9:48 AM
You guys need to live in South America a few months. You would never complain about anything again. I would love to have the worst HD or what ever other horrible big box here. You are spoiled up there.

Bart Leetch
07-26-2007, 10:51 AM
I once had a doctors appointment & was there on time & checked in with the front desk person & waited & waited & waited & checked at the front desk when I finally had my appointment & went to pay I asked what would happen if I didn't show or was late for my appointment I was told being late was considered a not show & a not show was charged $25. So I deducted $25 from my check for having to wait 45 minutes past my time for my appointment. They said you can't do that. I said I just did & my time is just as valuable to me as your time is to you when I am given a appointed time to be here & am here at that time I expect to be seen at that time not when you get around to it, otherwise let me know in advance & reschedule my appointment. Every time you just leave me setting in the waiting room more than 15 minutes past my appointment time I'll deduct $25. It never happened again I was always seen at my appointed time.

Remember you time is just as valuable as theirs

glenn bradley
07-26-2007, 11:42 AM
You guys need to live in South America a few months. You would never complain about anything again. I would love to have the worst HD or what ever other horrible big box here. You are spoiled up there.

Ah yes, spoiled we are; but we pay dearly for it. Real estate is outrageous, groceries are high, folks pay up to $100 a month to watch TV but, its 4 miles to work, 5 minutes to three different BORGs, 2 malls, 6 grocery stores, 10 minutes to a real lumber yard, 20 minutes to Rockler, 45 minutes to Woodcraft. You just have to be willing to spend a half million dollars on a three bedroom bungalow and all this could be yours :D .

David G Baker
07-26-2007, 3:58 PM
I once had a doctors appointment & was there on time & checked in with the front desk person & waited & waited & waited & checked at the front desk when I finally had my appointment & went to pay I asked what would happen if I didn't show or was late for my appointment I was told being late was considered a not show & a not show was charged $25. So I deducted $25 from my check for having to wait 45 minutes past my time for my appointment. They said you can't do that. I said I just did & my time is just as valuable to me as your time is to you when I am given a appointed time to be here & am here at that time I expect to be seen at that time not when you get around to it, otherwise let me know in advance & reschedule my appointment. Every time you just leave me setting in the waiting room more than 15 minutes past my appointment time I'll deduct $25. It never happened again I was always seen at my appointed time.

Remember you time is just as valuable as theirs
Bart,
You are a man after my own heart. I have never done what you did but the thought has been on my mind off and on for years as I sit for over an hour waiting to see a doctor. If it happens too often I switch doctors, but I like your idea better.

Jim King
07-26-2007, 4:07 PM
Glen:

I must agree I was shocked at what things cost up in the States the last couple of times I was back up there. What struck me most of all was my son building houses that cost $400,000 to $800,000 and when my wife and I got married her father went thru the roof when we were talking of buying 20 acres with a house about the size of those my son is building and with out buildings. Times have changed.

Mark Pruitt
07-26-2007, 4:15 PM
Take the $10.00 and don't get your lessons from a BORG.
I mean man, it's just a store.

They offer free clinics...you got what you paid for:p

So - let me get this straight.

HD hired someone to do a class that you signed up for. The class is FREE to you. The instructor cancelled "at the last minute". Rather than run a class with someone who is unqualified to teach a class, HD cancels the class and offers folks a $10 gift card as a way of saying they're sorry for the inconvenience. OK - the store manager was really busy and you couldn't complain directly to him that day. Other than "I'm sorry", what would you expect him to do beyond what they did? I understand the followup email was a bit slow in coming and that's certainly something that could have been better.

I guess I don't understand why this is anything to "rant" about. In general, what's the difference between this and showing up at your doctor's office to discover that the doctor's out sick and the receptionist missed your name on the "call them so they don't come" list? The doctor's office certainly wouldn't give you a $10 gift card as a way of saying they appreciate your business and hope you come back.

Ditto all of this. Take the $10, spend it, and be thankful for not being subjected to a class led by a moron who has no more scruples than to do what he did.

Tim Morton
07-26-2007, 4:47 PM

Thank you....that is a VERY accurate statement. And one that i just WISH people here in america would learn. Myself having lived in countries where when you want to buy a six pack of soda you bring 6 plastic bags with you to the store for them to fill and then you tie them off and carry them home. And when you get home its likely that you will be sharing a one room house with 6 people and have no electricity....

Thats a hard life...not getting to a HD and finding out your free seminar was cancelled and then pledging never to shop in the store again...and THEN coming here to tell everyone about it in order to gain some kind of "street cred".

I vote that store rants should be banned here unless its a flagrant fraud occuring:eek:

PS..I am not attacking the OP personally...just getting tired of listening to people complain about trivial matters.

Jim King
07-26-2007, 6:37 PM
Tim: I been in these places to long, I have come to accept the plastic bag of coke. The last few days we loaded out 76 ton of turning blanks and hobby wood like this as there are no operating fork lifts in the port. Do you think Home Depot employees will do this for a plastic bag of Coca Cola ? But I bet you miss the life style and crazyness.

John Shuk
07-26-2007, 7:27 PM
Thank you....that is a VERY accurate statement. And one that i just WISH people here in america would learn. Myself having lived in countries where when you want to buy a six pack of soda you bring 6 plastic bags with you to the store for them to fill and then you tie them off and carry them home. And when you get home its likely that you will be sharing a one room house with 6 people and have no electricity....

Thats a hard life...not getting to a HD and finding out your free seminar was cancelled and then pledging never to shop in the store again...and THEN coming here to tell everyone about it in order to gain some kind of "street cred".

I vote that store rants should be banned here unless its a flagrant fraud occuring:eek:

PS..I am not attacking the OP personally...just getting tired of listening to people complain about trivial matters.

Agreed. I like to complain as much as the next guy but when you think about our problems....they ain't that bad.

Tim Morton
07-26-2007, 7:29 PM
Tim: I been in these places to long, I have come to accept the plastic bag of coke. The last few days we loaded out 76 ton of turning blanks and hobby wood like this as there are no operating fork lifts in the port. Do you think Home Depot employees will do this for a plastic bag of Coca Cola ? But I bet you miss the life style and crazyness.
Some of the best times of my life...and by far the best people. I love this country, but a large portion of the people in it have alot to learn:cool:

Bill Lewis
07-29-2007, 2:49 PM
...getting to a HD and finding out your free seminar was cancelled and then pledging never to shop in the store again...and THEN coming here to tell everyone about it in order to gain some kind of "street cred".

We give way too much "press" to complaints and rants sometimes. These posts tend to perpetuate themselves by all of the follow on comments.

Ranting here really won't change how any company operates, If you're really upset, write to them directly.

What I found more interesting is that I posted a different kind of rant several weeks ago It was one with a positive note of local compainies really comming through for a customer. Guess how many follow up posts there were to that one? You Guessed it ZERO! Click Here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60560) to see to read something on with up note for a change, if you can stand it.