PDA

View Full Version : Griz Edge Sander

Kim Spence
07-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Does anyone own or has anyone used the Grizzly G0563 or G0564 Oscillating Edge Sanders? I'm considering purchasing one and was wondering what others thought of them. How do they compare to the Jet, Delta, or other offerings?

Those that own edge sanders, what operations do you find yourself going to them for?

Thanks in advance!

K. Spence

Paul Kinneberg
07-25-2007, 10:54 AM
I have the G0563 I bought last year I upgraded from a Ridged combo machine it was quite the upgrade. I looked at the same machines you did and decided on the grizzly primarily because I felt all the machines were close in capabilities and the grizzly was hundreds cheaper. After using it for a year I am not disapointed it is very powerful has a good table and decent dust collection. one word of advice hang on and use the stop provided the machine will rip things out of your hand if your not careful but it will also do your edge sanding very quickly with a nice finish. hope this helps.

Kim Spence
07-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks Paul, good info. I see you're not too far from me too! I live down in Shakopee. Small world.

Thanks,
K. Spence

Tim Marks
07-26-2007, 6:24 AM
I have a G0563.

I visited the bellingham showroom to look at machinery, with the intention of buying a G1531. I was not impressed; definitely nowhere near as well constructed as the G0563, which is built like a tank (all the important parts are made of 1/4" steel or castings, unlike the G1531 which seems to be mostly sheet metal and small gauge steel), and has many thoughtful features built in.

So instead, I bought the G0563, a great machine.

Just so you are no surprised: the spindle sander attachment (that mounts on the idler roller) does not oscillate. No big surprise, but that does mean that you shouldn't expect the edge sander to do everything that a dedicated floor mounted spindle sander will do. Still, I have found the spindle attachment very useful.

Paul Kinneberg
07-26-2007, 9:24 AM
Tim, good point! I have a dedicated shop fox spindle sander so I have never used the one on the grizzly. I should have mentioned that.

John Bush
07-27-2007, 2:18 AM
I have the G1140, which is the 1531 on a base. I have used it quite a bit and like the ease of changing the table elevation and belt adjustment. The idler roller and table aren't that effective for contour sanding so I bought the G1070 spindle sander and it is great. Now that I have experienced the joy of oscillation, I am going to sell the 1140 and upgrade to the G0563, or possibly the G0564. Anyone have input on the 63 vs 64? Thanks for the info.

I also have the PM 013 6" edge sander and it is more solid than the Griz, has a longer table and platen, has a miter slot the full length of the table, but not as easy to adjust the table height and belt tracking. I am selling it as well to upgrade to the 0563(4?).

Anyone looking for a G1140 in great shape??