PDA

View Full Version : I glued my european bushings together!

Patrick Taylor
07-24-2007, 2:25 PM
The center-ring bushing (the sliding one) on my european bushing set was accidentally glued to the bushing it surrounds when I did my thin-CA sealing coat. :o I think I'll try the no-mandrel finishing method in the future (at least for the europeans) or maybe just pull that ring off before I do my finishing.

In the meantime, any suggestions on how to get them apart? :confused:

Thanks,
Pat

Paul Heely
07-24-2007, 2:33 PM
They make a CA solvent that I've used for removing the sandpaper from my fingers, it works well. I think you could also use acetone or nail polish remover (which I think is basically acetone). Try soaking the bushings and hopefully they will come apart.

Good luck.

Tony De Masi
07-24-2007, 2:36 PM
Pat,

Nail polish remover works. First hand knowledge.

Tony

Jim Becker
07-24-2007, 3:27 PM
What Paul said...keep a bottle of CA solvent handy...and wash your hands thoroughly after using it. (That later advise applies to the nail polish remover, too...)

Stan Cook
07-24-2007, 3:30 PM
Heat will also work.

Patrick Taylor
07-24-2007, 3:52 PM
Thanks guys. I'll give it a shot.

Michael Schwartz
07-24-2007, 4:02 PM
CA Solvent and Nail Polish Remover have something in common, they are both Acetone

Tom Sherman
07-24-2007, 4:22 PM
Patrick just drop them in a bit of Acetone for a while will come apart easily.

Phillip H Smith
07-24-2007, 4:58 PM
Pat...

Get yourself a pint of acetone at a hardware store. Use sparingly for clean up of CA or epoxy glue, grease, etc.

Acetone is highly flammable, so please treat accordingly.

Nail polish remover is often a mixture of toluene, xylene, acetone, alcohol....all flammable! But a darn good general solvent, too.

It's probably not a good idea to soak your skin in of that stuff for very long. For example, we use acetone for rapid preservation of pathology specimens. It can be quite toxic...so please be careful. After using solvents like these for many, many years I find that simple things like watching a lathe spin 'round and 'round is very, very...Oh, damn, I forget!

Good luck with the bushings! You may like to try the teflon/nylon ones I told you about a few weeks ago.

Mike Vickery
07-24-2007, 5:29 PM
CA Solvent and Nail Polish Remover have something in common, they are both Acetone

Acetone - i used it all the time.

Patrick Taylor
07-24-2007, 6:43 PM
You may like to try the teflon/nylon ones I told you about a few weeks ago.

The teflon ones may be in order! ;)

Bill Wyko
07-24-2007, 7:55 PM
The stuff is called Un-cure. Made by the same people that make the glue. Try a hobby shop.:)

Neal Addy
07-24-2007, 9:05 PM
LOL! Don't feel bad, Patrick! I've glued bushings to everything there is to glue them to, including myself!

Mike Lawler
07-25-2007, 8:43 AM
whenever I have the paste wax out, I wipe some on bushings, morse tapers, chuck threads, ways, etc.

won't stop this from happening, but it sure cuts it down.

Patrick Taylor
07-25-2007, 9:13 AM
whenever I have the paste wax out, I wipe some on bushings, morse tapers, chuck threads, ways, etc.

won't stop this from happening, but it sure cuts it down.

Thanks Mike, that's a good idea!