PDA

View Full Version : Workshop Storage Cabinet - In Sketchup

Ron Fritz
07-24-2007, 9:40 AM
I have been playing around with a new idea for a workshop cabinet design. I like cabinets that provide both drawers and shelving space. Although not an original idea (I have seen some cabinets with a similar design) the cabinet pictured below is my latest attempt at working up a plan for a more functional tool and storage cabinet. Your thoughts and input on this design would be gratefully accepted. All pieces in the Sketchup drawing have been drawn to scale and exactly the way that I would construct then in wood. Also, if there is anyone that would like to know how I did any part of the sketchup drawing let me know and I will do a mini tutorial. Ron

Lori Kleinberg
07-24-2007, 4:05 PM
Interesting design. :cool: It looks like it could store alot, but what is the actual height. Top drawers may be too high.

Jeff Wright
07-24-2007, 5:47 PM
Ron,

Looks great. Do you have that plugin installed that allows you to create a cut list? I find that a wonderful tool. I then import that exported file into CutListPlus, especially if the project calls for a lot of sheet goods.

Ron Fritz
07-24-2007, 6:56 PM
Lori, Sorry, I should have included the overall measurements before. The attached drawing has the key measurements. I believe that the cabinet can easily be made bigger or smaller if needed.

Jeff, I don't have the plug-in that creates a cut list. I'll have to look into it. Where can I find the plug-in? Also, all of the individual pieces are made as a group so the drawing can be easily exploded. Thanks, Ron

Jeff Wright
07-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Ron,

I can't find the source for that plugin. Maybe ask Dave Richards on the Design Forum if he still knows where it can be found. The link I had used no longer is active.

John Schreiber
07-24-2007, 11:37 PM
The link where I got cutlist before doesn't work either, but if you Google "SketchUp cutlist ruby" a bunch of possibilities come up. I haven't tested any of them, so I don't want to recommend a specific one. Reading up on it in the SketchUp Pro Google Groups is very interesting, people have made improvements to it as part of a group effort.

The SketchUp drawing looks very good and very complete.

Some questions about your design. It looks like the drawers will ride on a center runner, but there are drawer guides and kickers for every other drawer. Why do it that way? Also, will it have a ply back to add rigidity, or will it have panels?

Ron Fritz
07-25-2007, 7:43 AM
John, you have spotted a couple of internal drawer frames that I didn't complete and add the runners. The final product would have had the drawer runners, otherwise the drawers would not have worked well. I have used this type of center drawer guide before and it has worked well and is inexpensive to make, but having said that, in the final product I would have elected to install European drawer slides. (it's too much effort to draw the European drawer slides)

I didn't show you the back side, but I'm using a 1/4" panel set in rabbets and flush to the back. Here's a view of the back. Ron

John Schreiber
07-25-2007, 8:56 AM
I've been working in SketchUp quite a bit on my own designs, so I've learned to be quite critical. I agree about using commercial slides for a shop cabinet. They may not look as good, but they work so well.

john devon
08-04-2007, 4:44 AM
Hello, I am a new forum member and tried to look at the sketch up plans listed at the beginning of this thread but was refused entry because I did not have enough privlidges.

Is there an initiation ceremony required like bending and touching my toes or something?

Glenn Clabo
08-04-2007, 8:07 AM
John,
This part of the site requires that you become a "contributor". It's up to you how much...$6.00 is suggested.

"Access to download attachments in this Forum are limited to those who are Contributors to SawMill Creek. Obtaining a Contributors title is done through the "Donate Button" on the blue menu bar at the top of this page, right under your name on the top right side. We are trying to increase the number of Members who provide financial support for SawMill Creek and help keep The Creek free of advertising."

john devon
08-04-2007, 8:28 AM
John,
This part of the site requires that you become a "contributor". It's up to you how much...$6.00 is suggested.

"Access to download attachments in this Forum are limited to those who are Contributors to SawMill Creek. Obtaining a Contributors title is done through the "Donate Button" on the blue menu bar at the top of this page, right under your name on the top right side. We are trying to increase the number of Members who provide financial support for SawMill Creek and help keep The Creek free of advertising."

Thank you Glen for your reply.

Oddly enough I purchased something of of Ebay last month (the first time) and had to sign up to use Paypal.
Within 7 days I received phishing mail (a very authentic looking instruction to update my paypal or be disenfranchised)
So I will never use paypal again.

I will look in to forum occassionaly its not the contribution I reject.

Jim Becker
08-04-2007, 8:52 AM
John, you don't have to use PayPal to contribute...there is an address listed to send a check if you feel more comfortable with that. Contributions are not necessary to enjoy the 'Creek, either. But this Plans Forum is a "special incentive" for those who have supported the site and it's no advertising policies.

Jim
SMC Moderator

Phil Clark
08-04-2007, 9:17 AM
Ron - thanks for this posting - I'm just now going thru the tutorials to learn about sketchup and your drawings are encouraging me to keep at it.

john devon
08-04-2007, 11:31 AM
Jim you wouldn't want a £sterling cheque.
The next time one of our ukworkshop forum members comes back from the USA I will ask him for some $ paper money.

It was just that I saw sketch up plan and clicked on it, and then got your message. At the present time I am making boxes, (see jow104 & devonwoody at ubeaut.com.au and ukworkshop.co.uk) so not in need of any plans, they usually evolve these days.

Jay Jolliffe
08-06-2007, 2:27 PM
Where did you get the tutorials. I downloaded a bunch of stuff with sketchup & I can't open them. Realplayer starts then says needs to dl new software for this clip & doesn't go any where.