PDA

View Full Version : Finding glue before stain!

John Hemenway
07-24-2007, 9:16 AM
From a long time lurker, infrequent poster…

I've glued up my kitchen doors and drawer fronts and need to check for glue spots. I've used mineral spirits before to do this when I’ve used oil based stains and finishes. This time I’m using Transtint dye in DNA and finishing with Target’s USL (water borne lacquer).

Will the MS contaminate the surface by leaving a residue? What else could I use? Naphtha???

TIA

Larry Fox
07-24-2007, 9:20 AM
I believe DNA will also show it although not as well as MS but I, as you point out, would be concerned about the residue.

Jim Becker
07-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Titebond recently introduced a new formula of the Titebond II product that contains florescent dye...you can use a black light to identify the glue smudges! LOL

Personally, I use mineral spirits...and have no issues with residue.

Howard Acheson
07-24-2007, 11:09 AM
You can use mineral spirits, naphtha or alcohol. None will leave a residue. With alcohol you need to move fast because it evaporates quickly. Of course, that's also a "goodness" as you can get to finishing faster. Naptha will also evaporate relatively quickly while mineral spirits is the slowest.

There is one caveat. It's best to apply the solvent to the whole item or to do the final sanding after checking for glue. All three can cause a slight "raising of the grain" which can become apparent as you stain or otherwise finish. I check for glue after sanding to 150 grit. Then I complete my machine sanding at 180 grit then hand sand with the grain at 180 grit.

Jim DeLaney
07-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Titebond recently introduced a new formula of the Titebond II product that contains florescent dye...you can use a black light to identify the glue smudges!...

I just bought a quart of that stuff a few weeks ago, and used it for the first time on a set of cabinets I'm building for my sister. The black light - I use a little 4" tube hand-held - really works well to show up any drips, runs, etc. They really do glow!

I may just switch, and use this stuff all the time - once I run out of the regular TB, that is. Might take a while, since I still have a couple gallons on hand.

John Hemenway
07-25-2007, 9:09 AM
Titebond recently introduced a new formula of the Titebond II product that contains florescent dye...you can use a black light to identify the glue smudges! LOL

I knew I shouldn't have gotten rid of that black light I had in 1970! :D

Good idea but they are already glued. :(

I think I'll try Naphta and DNA (fast drying). Thanks all for the input!

Chris Barnett
09-10-2007, 12:41 AM
found this on web: blacklight flashlight
http://www.eliminatorlightingdirect.com/6_Blacklight_Fixture_battery_operated_p/el-blac6.htm
Only $9...I want one :D ...for my grandsons, of course...:D

I had purchased the $3 black light bulb in the past .... didn't do a thing. Black light for my fishing boat though works very well....but its....well, busy.