PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina/Surrounding Area Folks

Phyllis Meyer
07-24-2007, 8:25 AM
Good Morning! Our daughter is considering relocating to North Carolina. Recent college graduate. She's applying for different jobs and we were wondering if anyone can give us apartment-housing suggestions as far as good/bad areas. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Phyllis:)

Mike Wilkins
07-24-2007, 11:12 AM
What area of NC is she moving into??

Bob Childress
07-24-2007, 11:25 AM
Yeah, North Carolina is kind of big for just picking a spot at random.

Is she looking for a particular city? Or trying to decide which city? What is her field of work? Some places are better suited than others for engineers, teachers, etc.

Phyllis Meyer
07-24-2007, 1:14 PM
Hi, Her field is: Interior Design, so wherever the building is going on, she would love to be there. She would like an area not quite "down town", but on the outskirts would be great. I know she has resume's out in Charlotte at some larger design firms.

Thanks for your input!
Sincerely,

Pat Germain
07-24-2007, 3:14 PM
My son's girlfriend is a student at Duke. She tells me the area around the school is pretty much crime-infested squalor. Thus, I wouldn't recommend that area of Raleigh-Durham. I know there are many nice areas in Raleigh-Durham. One just has to do research, as you are. :)

Bob Childress
07-24-2007, 3:39 PM
Hi, Her field is: Interior Design, so wherever the building is going on, she would love to be there.

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. Let's talk about cities first and then worry about neighborhoods later.

[NB: I am a real estate agent and SWMBO works for a national home builder, so we are pretty well plugged in.]

Growing and/or upscale markets: North Carolina--Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill; Winston-Salem; parts of Charlotte metro; Asheville-Hendersonville; South Carolina--Rock Hill (Charlotte suburb growth); Charleston metro; Hilton Head-Bluffton (where the money is); Greenville metro.

Slow markets: North Carolina--Greensboro; all mid-tier cities (e.g., Statesville, Salisbury, etc); parts of Charlotte; South Carolina--Myrtle Beach; Columbia metro; all mid-tier cities (Florence, Georgetown).

Narrow it down some and I can get more info for you. But it is a start. :)

HTH.

Belinda Barfield
07-24-2007, 4:01 PM
Hilton Head-Bluffton (where the money is)
HTH.

Phyllis,

Remember, Hilton Head-Bluffton is just across the river from Savannah. Are we still in the running?:)

Phyllis Meyer
07-24-2007, 4:04 PM
This is what we are looking for. I thank everyone who has responded and we will gather all information and pass it along to our daughter.

Sincerely,

Bob Childress
07-24-2007, 4:05 PM
Phyllis,

Remember, Hilton Head-Bluffton is just across the river from Savannah. Are we still in the running?:)

And, of course, Midnight in the Garden Savannah. :) ;) One of my favorite cities.

Belinda Barfield
07-24-2007, 4:17 PM
Bob,

I came thisss close to living in Greenville about 15 years ago. Then hubby was considering joining a medical practice there. I spent a week or so looking at houses, etc. It is a great place and I would still consider moving there today.

Phyllis,

I have good friends in Charlotte, so if your daughter is headed in that direction I can help out there as well. I am sure, with Bob being in real estate, he has a better handle on the area. My friend Jack works for a cabinet company in Charlotte, and his wife Becky does some design work (although she is not a licensed interior designer).

Phyllis Meyer
07-24-2007, 4:32 PM
Hey everyone!

If anyone has kept track, my posts have been really scattered! Once again, I do appreciate all who have responded and of course the ones about the daughters are the ones that keep us hopping!

Belinda, good to hear from you, yep, same daughter...still trying to decide in which direction to go. Yes I would like any contact info. about your good friend in the Carolina's! It is just a little more comforting to know that at least someone knows someone...the Carolina's are a long way from Wisconsin! When we do get down that way, we are going to stop for that beverage on your deck!

Sincerely,

Phyllis Meyer
07-26-2007, 8:40 AM
Bob I sent you a PM or email, a big thanks to all who wrote!

Richard Niemiec
07-26-2007, 11:08 AM
Phyllis: If you do nothing else, keep your daughter away from Belinda's erstwhile Guardian Angel.

:D

Rn

Belinda Barfield
07-26-2007, 11:30 AM
Phyllis: If you do nothing else, keep your daughter away from Belinda's erstwhile Guardian Angel.

:D

Rn

Richard,

LOL!! It's the little devil you got to worry about, and since the incident with the guardian angel I have kept him under lock and key.;) Maybe this is why Phyllis and her daughter decided against Savannah.:eek: As they say, when in Savannah, do as the Savannahians do!:p

Phyllis Meyer
07-26-2007, 12:48 PM
You guys keep me laughing! Isn't that what we are here for...on this woodworking forum...the jokes!:) I know I am!

Laughter is truly the best medicine!
Phyllis

Tim Beauregard
07-26-2007, 1:19 PM
If she is single and wants to have any kind of night life then tell her to AVOID Winston-Salem. It is a great place to be married and raise a family, but disappointing for singles night life. Singles seem to like Greensboro though. High Point is big in the furniture industry, which may go well with her interior design field.

Good luck!
Tim B.