PDA

View Full Version : My First Freedom Pen Shipment

Ken Salisbury
01-20-2004, 4:21 PM
This is a pic of the pens I will pack tonight and ship to Hampton Roads as a small first shipment.

So now I lay down the gauntlet:
<p>

Lets Go Gals and Guys ! ! !

<p>
The second photo shows how I packaged them. I added a brief note with each pen. I ran out of plastic sleeves and had to put 3 of them in clear square tubes. Just ordered another 100 sleeves from Packard so I will have some for my next shipment. :D

Tyler Howell
01-20-2004, 5:29 PM
Nice Job Ken,

Thnx for your time and talents

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-20-2004, 5:36 PM
Way to go Ken! Little late on the Gauntlet 'Ol Rebel............my first batch went out this morning via Priority Mail to Virginia. :D Here is my first shipment.........although you got me beat on quantity. (If I had more Pen Kits, I would be ROLLING!) I've got blanks cut and drilled ready for glue up, and more blanks ready to be drilled. I also am making more contacts for supplies..............I was referred to a local Cabinet Shop that specializes in Kitchens today, and I will be checking with them tomorrow for scraps of Corain or whatever else they may have that we can use. I am also going to get a nice write up in the Local Paper, as well as the College Paper where I work. I have a few more media contacts to make, and SWMBO is working on some suppliers and potential donors as well. Things are coming together in a short time, and every pen that is turned and donated gets us one closer to our goal. Good luck everyone, and happy turning! ;)

Tom Sweeney
01-20-2004, 6:14 PM
You two would be the first out of the gates :D

good job guys.

A thought on shipping them to Keith. Are we keeping a running tally? Should we put the total # of pens in each shipment somewhere on the box we send them in - this might save Keith some time counting each shipment?? (of course mine will be easier to count then some of you) Has this already been covered & I was sleeping during the meeting :rolleyes: inquiring minds want to know.

Ken Salisbury
01-20-2004, 6:28 PM
You two would be the first out of the gates :D

good job guys.

A thought on shipping them to Keith. Are we keeping a running tally? Should we put the total # of pens in each shipment somewhere on the box we send them in - this might save Keith some time counting each shipment?? (of course mine will be easier to count then some of you) Has this already been covered & I was sleeping during the meeting :rolleyes: inquiring minds want to know.

That is Keith's problem - I have enough of my own :D :D, (problems that is). They have to repackage anyway. Jackie will get a data base built of how many from whom so we can also bounce that against who bought kits from the bulk buy program so we can determine if anyone snookers us :D.

I believe we have that covered.

Julie Wright
01-20-2004, 6:33 PM
Great job guys. I'm outta kits at this time but hopefully some will be here in the next few days :)

Julie Wright
01-20-2004, 6:44 PM
Hey Tom,
how about we let you know how many we ship and then you can put a running tally on the web site? :)

Kent Cori
01-20-2004, 7:13 PM
I shipped off eight to Keith this morning so I'm no match for Ken. However, he's sending me some more kits so I can keep going. I wonder if he'll sandbag on the shipping date so he can keep ahead of me. :D

Keith Outten
01-20-2004, 8:14 PM
We have a plan for keeping all of the data online and updated every day. This will include the totals for every pen we receive listed against every turners (or groups) name. We will list the names alphabetically and the state for those of you who may want to challenge your neighbor states or you can do the North against the South :) You will be able to play with the numbers anyway you prefer and I hope it will be enjoyable for everyone.

We will also post every monetary donation we receive with the totals for those individuals or companies that donate more then once. All of the information concerning any sponsors and special purchasing opportunities will be made public and of course contact information for each organization participating.

Last but not least Prizes!!! Fun prizes as a way to recognise as many people that we can. Just because we are all working very hard on our pens doesn't mean we can't have some good old fashioned fun :)

Chris Johnson
01-20-2004, 8:49 PM
I hope that doesn't mean that since some of the the one hundred kits I ordered are going to go to other turners, that I might get the fuzzy end of the lollipop from you guys?? How do you plan to track this? My current plans are to turn a bunch, and donate some to youth turners for this project.

That is Keith's problem - I have enough of my own :D :D, (problems that is). They have to repackage anyway. Jackie will get a data base built of how many from whom so we can also bounce that against who bought kits from the bulk buy program so we can determine if anyone snookers us :D.

I believe we have that covered.

Scott Greaves
01-20-2004, 9:57 PM
I hope that doesn't mean that since some of the the one hundred kits I ordered are going to go to other turners, that I might get the fuzzy end of the lollipop from you guys?? How do you plan to track this? My current plans are to turn a bunch, and donate some to youth turners for this project.

Uh, me too! I'm hoping to offer some penturning classes so that people can learn to turn and donate the results. So even though I'm buying the kits through the mass purchase plan, they'll come back through other names. Oh, and just so nobody gets the wrong idea, I'm offering the classes for free as well.

Scott.

Chris Johnson
01-20-2004, 11:14 PM
And to muddy the waters even more, can I take some of my existing pen kits (purchased for a higher cost) and get going on my end, and replace my stock with some of the bulk buy that won't arrive for three or four weeks? That would seem to be fair, and I won't have to wait. I want to help, but can't go broke in the process, and don't need bad press because someone mistakenly gets the wrong idea!

Uh, me too! I'm hoping to offer some penturning classes so that people can learn to turn and donate the results. So even though I'm buying the kits through the mass purchase plan, they'll come back through other names. Oh, and just so nobody gets the wrong idea, I'm offering the classes for free as well.

Scott.

Ken Salisbury
01-21-2004, 4:13 AM
And to muddy the waters even more, can I take some of my existing pen kits (purchased for a higher cost) and get going on my end, and replace my stock with some of the bulk buy that won't arrive for three or four weeks? That would seem to be fair, and I won't have to wait. I want to help, but can't go broke in the process, and don't need bad press because someone mistakenly gets the wrong idea!

Of course you can do that. We are tracking how many kits you get from bulk buy vs how many pens you deliver. Use your own kits and replace your inventory when your shipment arrives. I have done that myself.

We don't want ya to wait ! !

Ken Salisbury
01-21-2004, 4:19 AM
I hope that doesn't mean that since some of the the one hundred kits I ordered are going to go to other turners, that I might get the fuzzy end of the lollipop from you guys??

Your 100 kits will be in the first batch shipped of Streamline kits I recieve. I will be shipping kits in the order that requests for kits were recieved (p.s. you are #6 on the list).

Chris Johnson
01-21-2004, 8:47 AM
I'm sorry, I should have phrased my words better. I meant that I will be purchasing 100 kits, but not returning 100 pens. Some of the kits will be going to others, so that they may join the project. I believe that Scott Greaves has the same scenario. I am not trying to make this harder on everyone, but when you mentioned tracking kit purchases to pen submissions, I didn' want you to think I was trying to 'snooker' you.

Your 100 kits will be in the first batch shipped of Streamline kits I recieve. I will be shipping kits in the order that requests for kits were recieved (p.s. you are #6 on the list).

Ken Salisbury
01-21-2004, 8:51 AM
I'm sorry, I should have phrased my words better. I meant that I will be purchasing 100 kits, but not returning 100 pens. Some of the kits will be going to others, so that they may join the project. I believe that Scott Greaves has the same scenario. I am not trying to make this harder on everyone, but when you mentioned tracking kit purchases to pen submissions, I didn' want you to think I was trying to 'snooker' you.
We will need to know the names of the people who get the kits and have your assurances that they will submit the final product. We have committed to our supplier that we will closely track where these kits go. It is critical in order for us to continue to get the kits at these prices. I would be extremely upset if we were to lose this important supporter.

Chris Johnson
01-21-2004, 12:03 PM
I can fully understand your desire, and I will gladly give you the name of the group(s) that recieve my pen kit donations, however I have zero control on what happens after that. My current plans include sending some to Dave Bonde (a member here), so I think that will be ok, and I am looking at another youth group. I think we will be fine.

We will need to know the names of the people who get the kits and have your assurances that they will submit the final product. We have committed to our supplier that we will closely track where these kits go. It is critical in order for us to continue to get the kits at these prices. I would be extremely upset if we were to lose this important supporter.

Ken Salisbury
01-21-2004, 6:43 PM
My current plans include sending some to Dave Bonde (a member here), so I think that will be ok, and I am looking at another youth group. I think we will be fine.

Cool that you are gonna help Dave - I shipped him 50 pen kits today via Priiority mail to get him started.

Chris Johnson
01-21-2004, 7:46 PM
I had planned to send around 30 or so, so that will get him closer to his 100 he needs.

Cool that you are gonna help Dave - I shipped him 50 pen kits today via Priiority mail to get him started.

Daniel Yourdon
01-21-2004, 9:11 PM
I mailed 15, red white and blue acrylic pens today.
didn't take any pic of the packaging but I can describe it. i put each pen in an envelope, regular #10 with it's note. then I fuled the envelope as small as it would get and wrapped it up in tape. it made a strong and enexpensive package that can be shipped all the way just as it is. not as pretty as the clear covers though.