PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Hole Cart - Under Construction

Rob Will
07-24-2007, 1:02 AM
Here's a quick little project that saves time and avoids a bit of shop clutter. It is a dedicated cart for the Kreg pocket hole jig. Mine is rather crude, and still under construction.......I just wanted to share the concept with you.

This particular cart is made from an old fabric sample rack. A sheet of 1/2" ply is screwed to the top along with the Kreg jig and a drill holder. The bottom shelf is also 1/2" ply. There is a large circular hole in the bottom shelf that holds a small (4 gal) shop vac. Yup, I have a dedicated shop vac on the pocket hole cart. I even cut the hose very short. The vac stays in place. I don't have to go look for it, run cords, or trip over the thing. The vac and drill are right there ready to go at all times. Associated clamps and screws are stored in the clear plastic tote down below.

I plan on staining the bottom shelf and adding a couple of blocks on each side of the top to support longer stock. I probably should not have let my shop helper (3yr-old Anna) drill that hole but I did. Oh well....might as well share that too. She's pretty good about safety and does as she's told but not big enough for tools just yet. Looks like a shop rat in the making.....at least she's interested.

Rob

Michael Schwartz
07-24-2007, 2:47 AM
Nice :cool: I would incorperate some kind of T track or soemthing so you can make a sliding support/stop for each side and be able to adjust them to support various size panels etc...

Just rout a grove in the top and inset the track into it.

I have a similar setup that I use with my EZ smart power bench. I am revising it as I modified the bench heavily since I took this picture.

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z38/Masterbuilder97/PBB.jpg

John Stevens
07-24-2007, 7:53 PM
I probably should not have let my shop helper (3yr-old Anna) drill that hole but I did.

Eh, it's not like you left her alone to play with the drill. Given the way the jig works, there wasn't much opportunity for the drill bit to come into contact with her, and she probably got a big kick out of it. Same reason why I let my 4 y.o. push the Domino into the wood while I hold it in place. Let's hope WW turns out to be something that keeps our kids close when they hit the teen years.

Regards,

John

Michael Schwartz
07-24-2007, 8:19 PM
Its just a drill, she should be at least 12 to use the TS though :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
07-24-2007, 8:43 PM
Looks like all you need to add is some horizontal stock supports out from the jig to hold longer pieces (and heavy panels) level! Nice work!!!!!

My "pocket screw" station is on my miter stand...I have a couple threaded inserts in the top that I can fasten the jig down with and then I just use a couple pieces of scrap 3/4" plywood for the stock support. But I have the older version without dust collection. Your setup makes a lot of sense for a "always ready" solution!

Rob Will
07-24-2007, 11:40 PM
Let's hope WW turns out to be something that keeps our kids close when they hit the teen years.

I heard that. !!!!!!

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

Rob