PDA

View Full Version : Not Exactly Wood, but....

Tom Nostrant
07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Hello All,

What I need to do is laser engrave my web-site name, Click-Stand.com, on the ends of black anodized aluminum tubes. The diameter of the tubes range from 3/8" to 7/16", there are 3 different sizes. The one line of type would be about 3/16" tall. The tubes would be approximately 13" in length.

Now for my questions. Would this be referred to as laser engraving, or laser marking? What type of machine would be best to accomplish this? Until I figure out if I can afford to engrave this myself, is there someone on the forum that would do this type of work?

Thanks for the help, obviously I am new to the field,
Tom

Mike Hood
07-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Lasers do a beautiful job of marking anodized aluminum, I suspect you'll be very happy with the results.

Belinda Barfield
07-24-2007, 7:43 AM
Hello All,

Until I figure out if I can afford to engrave this myself, is there someone on the forum that would do this type of work?

Thanks for the help, obviously I am new to the field,
Tom

Tom,

It might be helpful if you post at least your general location. Many times it is easier to work with somone locally or regionally.

Mike Null
07-24-2007, 8:11 AM
Neat product! I gather that you're out in Oregon or thereabouts. We have lots of members who can laser engrave those items for you. And laser engraving is the way to go for this item.

Just click on the members link copied below.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/engravers.php

Mike Ross
07-24-2007, 10:09 AM
I am in the neighborhood (just west of Longview) and would be happy to work with you. Call or send me a PM.

Mike Ross
360-423-6216

Richard Rumancik
07-24-2007, 10:42 AM
Hello All,

What I need to do is laser engrave my web-site name, Click-Stand.com, on the ends of black anodized aluminum tubes. . . . Would this be referred to as laser engraving, or laser marking? Tom

To try to answer this specific question, I would refer to it as laser marking. The reason being is that the laser will affect the anodized layer and turn it white with no material removal. You can't detect any dimensional change in the surface where engraved. Normally I would refer to engraving as a process where there is actual removal of the substrate. The CO2 lasers used by most members cannot engrave metal, only mark it (with significant limitations.)

On the other hand, you will find some people using the terms interchangeably but you can usually figure out from the context as to what is meant (surface mark or material removal).

The systems themselves are often called laser engravers which adds to the confusion. They can do more than engrave - such as vector cut, and raster or vector mark.

Machines sold as laser markers, on the other hand, are usually dedicated to marking, and tend to have galvo based optics. But they are not as general-purpose machines as the "laser engravers" used here. They are often used in industry for fast product marking. Often the area they can mark is quite small, intended for small graphics or part numbers etc.

I wouldn't worry too much though, as any laser shop will understand what you are attempting to do (and may even use the wrong terminology.)