PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly or Jet Jointer

Don Bullock
07-23-2007, 11:50 PM
I know that I should get an 8" or bigger, but right now that isn't possible due to budget and space. My pending furniture making plans require a jointer for fairly short boards, nothing more than three feet. I'm considering the following two jointers and no, I won't go above $650 including sales tax and base. Yes, I have searched Craig's list and will continue to do so. Even If I do find one, the only way I have to get it home is in my van.

Jointer Choice # 1 - Grizzly 6" jointer Model G0452 at $310 + $74 S/H + $20 liftgate service (includes "kickstand" mobile base) Total = $404
Jointer Choice # 2 - Jet 6" jointer Model JJ-6CS at $449.99 + $37.12 sales tax (8.25%) + $124.99 for the base plus $10.31 sales tax. I would have to load it in my van and unload it at home. Total = $622.41The only jointer I've used is the Jet 6" in a recent class I took at a WoodCraft store. I have never even seen the Grizzly. Except for rather small items I have never ordered from Grizzly.

Is there anyone with experience with either of these machines? I appreciate any input that you have on these two choices. The bottom line here is what reasons would I have for not going with the Grizzly? It certainly looks like the better deal. I can even get $10 off for using the "Bill Me Later" option. I appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Tim Morton
07-23-2007, 11:56 PM
It looks like your second choice is from woodcraft? They are having a 10% off sale on saturday if that makes a difference:o

Alan Tolchinsky
07-24-2007, 12:01 AM
Don, I've had that same Jet jointer for 5 years and it performs very well. But if I had to decide now and there was a $200 difference, I'd look very carefully at the Grizzly. I hear a lot of good comments on the Grizzly.

And yes I wish I'd have bought something like the 8" Grizzly G0586. I've had some trouble with longer boards on my 6 incher and would love more than the 6 inch width. It seems like all my boards were wider than 6" after a wood buying trip.

Don Bullock
07-24-2007, 12:03 AM
Tim, thanks for the reminder. That would make the jointer $405.99 if my math is correct.:o According to the card I got in the mail, there is only 1 discount per customer, but I may be reading that wrong. Maybe my wife could get a discount on the mobile base. Hmmm ;) There is still a big difference here between the two in cost. Is the Jet that much better?

Brian Clevenger
07-24-2007, 1:26 AM
If your are considering the JET, the Ridgid sold at Home Depot is exactly the same, save the base.

the new Craftsman at Sears is a serious contender. You oughta take a look at it.

Jay Albrandt
07-24-2007, 2:47 AM
Jet. For better customer service if something goes wrong.

Good Luck.

Jay

Ray Dockrey
07-24-2007, 3:49 AM
Grizzly has great customer service also. Plus the owner hangs out on several of the forums and that helps alot.

Don Eddard
07-24-2007, 4:59 AM
I've got the G1182HW, which I think is pretty similar to the G0452, and it's been good in my experience. I did replace the factory belt with a link belt, but other than that, everything worked right out of the crate.

Scot wolf
07-24-2007, 7:30 AM
I have the grizz GO604 and would go with that jointer in a heartbeat! You want the longer beds...trust me. The 604 is on sale for $495 plus shipping. For $589 to your door it is the best 6"er out there.

Don Bullock
07-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Don, I've had that same Jet jointer for 5 years and it performs very well. But if I had to decide now and there was a $200 difference, I'd look very carefully at the Grizzly. I hear a lot of good comments on the Grizzly.

And yes I wish I'd have bought something like the 8" Grizzly G0586. I've had some trouble with longer boards on my 6 incher and would love more than the 6 inch width. It seems like all my boards were wider than 6" after a wood buying trip.

Alan, that's the kind of input I'm looking for. I already know that the Jet is a good jointer and appreciate your confirmation on that. Like you I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $200. That's a big difference in price for essentially the same kind of machine and I'd love to get some more input on the Grizzly 6" jointer Model G0452 if at all possible before I decide. When I get a chance I'll have to do some more searching in I don't get information here.

My plans include a bigger jointer in the future. I figure that this jointer will be good for short, narrow boards both now and in the future. Many of the furniture pieces and small box pieces I plan on using the jointer for are fairly short and narrow. At this point most of the suppliers that I have for hardwood sell the material faces on at least two sides. Most are faced on three sides. I'm not aware of suppliers here that sell rough lumber. Actually one of the combination machines (jointer/planer) looks like the way to go in the future. That would give me 12".

The input from those who have suggested other Grizzly models is appreciated as well. It's good to know that you are satisfied with their machines. Due to my budget, needs and plans this particular model is the onlt grizzly jointer I'm considering. If I'm not convinced that it is as good as the Jet then I'm going with the Jet.

The Craftsman jointer at $479 is overpriced in my opinion. It looks exactly like the same machine as the Grizzly although I could be wrong. It's hard to tell these days who actually makes any of the machines.

David Tiell
07-24-2007, 11:56 AM
I have and love the Jet and can confirm it is a good machine. I have no experience with the Grizzly you are looking for info on, BUT, based on what I've read here on the forum, Grizzly customer service is every bit on par with Jet. For the $200 difference, I think I would probably go with the Griz and apply the saved money to wood or tools.

Greg Crawford
07-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Don,

I own a Jet bandsaw and a Grizzly 8" jointer (older model). Parts for the Jet are very expensive, and it's not a great machine. The Grizzly has been flawless. I've also ordered other stuff from Grizzly and had great customer service (including replacements for broken stuff), fast shipping and good prices on parts. Every review I've ever read has also given Grizzly jointers top marks. As for size, I often find a larger jointer would be very handy. Go as big as you possibly can.

Ryan Bess
07-24-2007, 2:34 PM
Don,
A few months back I made a case on this forum that there was no point spending the extra money getting an 8" jointer over a 6" jointer. My only argument was that once you buy an 8" jointer, what will stop you from wishing you had bought a 10"? (and so on.....) Well, here I am today testifying that I wish I had bought a bigger jointer. I purchased the G0452 and it is really quite a nice little unit. In fact, fit & finish may border on "exceptional" - considering its small price tag. Last weekend I was working on a mission-style bookcase. I was running the 72" long 8/4 white oak stiles through the jointer and thinking about opening my big mouth on this forum those months ago. Long story short, within three months of buying a perfectly fine little jointer, I'm wishing I had gone bigger. Mind driving to Illinois and buying my G0452? (ha-ha!)
Good luck with your upcoming purchase.
Ryan

Pat Germain
07-24-2007, 2:48 PM
I would suggest anyone considering a Grizzly tool also consider looking at the Shop Fox variants. They are the same tools under a different name with different paint. Online sites like Bibbtool.com often run free shipping specials on Shop Fox machines. When you save money on sales tax and shipping, it can end up being a pretty good deal. (Some people may disapprove of this. As I see it, tax evasion is illegal, but tax avoidance is an American tradition. I also support my local retailers.)

I recently bought a Shop Fox 8" paralellogram jointer from Bibb. It was $886 total, but the smaller machines are much less expensive. In order to get the free shipping, I just had to go to my local loading dock to get it which went much better than I had expected.

Matt Moore
07-24-2007, 3:27 PM
I have the 6" Jet and have been happy with it. If I were to do it over again, I would definately be looking at used options in the 8" size. I wish I had that extra 2".

Jim Becker
07-24-2007, 3:37 PM
Jointers are relatively simple machines. I owned the Jet and it was a fine machine. I suspect the same holds true for the Grizzly and for that reason, since the plan is for you to go with a 6" machine now and move to a bigger one later, I'll suggest the Grizzly (or Rigid) is the way to go for now if you can't find a used 8" machine. And I do recommend a J/P combo be considered in the future. Great space utilization and utility...plus that nice wide jointer capability.

Don Taylor
07-24-2007, 3:42 PM
Hi Don,
Keep in mind, the best customer service is the one you never need to call....

DT

glenn bradley
07-24-2007, 4:18 PM
Heed the resounding message . . . . most of those who bought 6" are now buying an 8" or wishing they were. I bought a 6" but went cheap with the baby Delta. It works great within its capacity. It has gotten me through a couple years and I hope to get around half of what I paid for it when it goes.

Don Bullock
07-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Don,
A few months back I made a case on this forum that there was no point spending the extra money getting an 8" jointer over a 6" jointer. My only argument was that once you buy an 8" jointer, what will stop you from wishing you had bought a 10"? (and so on.....) ... Mind driving to Illinois and buying my G0452? (ha-ha!)Ryan

Ryan, I'd love to, but it's a long way and the gas alone would be too much.;) :D

I do remember that discussion and all the posts pointing toward an 8" machine. That's one reason that I made the statement up front that I'm just looking at a 6" at this time and gave my reasons for it.

Jointers are relatively simple machines. I owned the Jet and it was a fine machine. I suspect the same holds true for the Grizzly and for that reason, since the plan is for you to go with a 6" machine now and move to a bigger one later, I'll suggest the Grizzly (or Rigid) is the way to go for now if you can't find a used 8" machine. And I do recommend a J/P combo be considered in the future. Great space utilization and utility...plus that nice wide jointer capability.

Jim, I appreciate your input on the Jet and Grizzly. As for the recommendation for a combo machine, I'm thinking that in the near future that there will be more choices in these machines. We are already seeing several of them in the market place. As usually happend when there is more competition in a market segment, the price goes down and the features increase.

I greatly appreciate all the input. When I brought up the topic today with SWMBO, she immediately asked what you all on the forums think I should do. Actually that's rather funny. You have to understand that she knows nothing about woodworking or any tools for that matter and only frequents the Barry Manilow forums. After talking it over as we were out today sightseeing (not much else to do driving two hours on the freeway both ways) she made it clear to get what will be the best, both now and in the near future. Her feeling is at age 60, I need to get the right tools the first time, not wish for the future. Unfortunately at this point there is a limit financially (remember I bought a SawStop this year- she told me to) and for at least the next year I have an even bigger limit on space. All my tools have to fit between the front bumpers of our two PT Cruisers and the end wall of the garage.

As a result of our conversation today and the input from those of you who know far more about all this than I do, I will either buy the Grizzly or I will consider an 8" jointer. I know that Grizzly has some excellent 8" machines and Eagle Tools in Los Angelas, where I bought my SawStop sells General and Powermatic tools. They said that they would "work with me" on future tool purchases. I plan to call them tomorrow to see what jointers they sell and if they can make me any "deals." The possibility of a ShopFox with "free" shipping sounds like an option as well, but I don't think that their machines are the same price as the Grizzly (I fouund the same Shop Fox machine as the Grizzly G0452 for $572 including shipping, but not liftgate service -the "free shipping" adds $168 to the Grizzly price after I added the shipping and liftgate service. I knew that the cost of the shipping has to be figured in there somewhere, but that's way too much. If I'm not considering the Jet, I have a little more time to consider all this. The 10% sale at WoodCraft this Saturday sort of sped up the process. Again thanks for all your help. I'm having a blast buying wood, designing projects and making things. I even enjoy the sanding and finishing.;) :D

Pat Germain
07-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Oh yeah. I was all set to pick up the 6" Jet Jointer at my local Woodcraft. Then the price went up $50 overnight. After doing some searching on 6" jointers, just about every jointer related post on SMC, as well as every other woodworking forum, repeated the same thing: "Get at least an 8 inch."

In my case, I didn't need the machine right away and was able to save a few more Ben Franklins to get an 8".

Thus, I think it's pretty much proverbial that anyone who can go with an 8" or larger should do so. But hey, if a 6" is all you can do, I guess you gotta go with it. It's likely the Jet, Grizzly or Shop Fox would be good purchases. :)

Jack Briggs
07-25-2007, 7:24 AM
Grizzly has great customer service also. Plus the owner hangs out on several of the forums and that helps alot.

Grizzly not only has great customer service, but parts are readily available and can be ordered online for many machines in their lineup, using online forms.:cool:

Doug Murray
07-25-2007, 8:04 AM
"....Yes, I have searched Craig's list and will continue to do so. Even If I do find one, the only way I have to get it home is in my van."

Don't worry about transporting even an 8" jointer in a van. I purchased a used Grizzly 8" jointer (got it for $400) in great shape and brought it home in a Firebird!!! You just disassemble the base and take off the tables. By the way, don't ever lift a jointer - even partially disassembled - by the tables. Take them off first and move them separately.

Don Bullock
07-25-2007, 7:04 PM
Well, after doing more research and talking it over with SWMBO, I changed my mind. I ordered the Grizzly G0490 8" Jointer with Parallelogram Beds. As for where it will go, I have to do some rearranging in the garage, but it will fit somewhere. Actually it has to because it will be shipped out of there warehouse tomorrow afternoon. I should get it sometime next week. Then I'll have to see if I can get some friends over for a "machine assembly party."

Thanks to all for your input here at Sawmill Creek. Yes, I'll post some pictures when it's all set up. Maybe I'll show a picture of the first board going through it.

Alan Tolchinsky
07-25-2007, 8:38 PM
That's great Don. But I just don't get the "like to sand and finish" part. Liking sanding is just plain sick. :) But seriously, you did the right thing but maybe only people with 6" jointers can really appreciate it. Please report back on the new arrival. Alan

glenn bradley
07-25-2007, 8:45 PM
Well, after doing more research and talking it over with SWMBO, I changed my mind. I ordered the Grizzly G0490 8" Jointer with Parallelogram Beds. As for where it will go, I have to do some rearranging in the garage, but it will fit somewhere. Actually it has to because it will be shipped out of there warehouse tomorrow afternoon. I should get it sometime next week. Then I'll have to see if I can get some friends over for a "machine assembly party."

Thanks to all for your input here at Sawmill Creek. Yes, I'll post some pictures when it's all set up. Maybe I'll show a picture of the first board going through it.

You rock Don. That is the jointer I am after and will watch with interest for your thoughts.

Jim Becker
07-25-2007, 9:19 PM
Good choice, Don...and yes, we'll be expecting the pictures soon!

Don Bullock
07-25-2007, 11:01 PM
That's great Don. But I just don't get the "like to sand and finish" part. Liking sanding is just plain sick. :) But seriously, you did the right thing but maybe only people with 6" jointers can really appreciate it. Please report back on the new arrival. Alan

You rock Don. That is the jointer I am after and will watch with interest for your thoughts.

Good choice, Don...and yes, we'll be expecting the pictures soon!

Thank you all for the great input. I figure at my age this will be my first and last jointer so I might as well get one that I have read good things about and I should listen to "experienced users" as to the "needed" size. Anyway I'm excited and yes, Jim, there will be pictures.;) :D

Dave MacArthur
07-26-2007, 3:43 AM
Great! Glad to hear you got that one, I think you'll really be pleased!

Homer Faucett
07-26-2007, 1:35 PM
I used to have one of the benchtop Craftsman 6" jointers from the 1950's (a loaner from a friend). I used it for a couple of years and learned all about maintenance and blade setting (and honing!) on that machine. When Woodcraft put the Jet 6" jointer on sale, I snapped one up for $349. I thought I would get the mobile base for it, but I've never had a need for it.

It's a great little machine, and I'll probably one day step up to either a J/P combo or an old aircraft carrier, but I won't be making the step up to an 8" machine unless the deal is too good not to. I just don't see the extra 2" of capacity as being a big deal for me. I like the Jet, I like the fact that I was able to buy local, and I like the fact that I could have returned it if there was something wrong with it.

But more power to ya, Don. You're building up an impressive little shop there!