PDA

View Full Version : The chess boys arrive home!

Bob Oswin
03-02-2003, 2:07 PM
Well I have married up the pieces with the chess board / cabinet.
Today I am going to clean out the shop a bit and try not to think about winter any more.
The board was made from walnut and maple and the finish is Poly.
I won't do that agian!
Too plastic looking for my taste.
p.s. I planted tomato seeds this morning so I know I am going to live till august!

Bob:D

James O'Mara
03-02-2003, 3:06 PM
It looks absolutely beautiful. But what about the remaining 4 pawns?

Bob Oswin
03-02-2003, 4:31 PM
Originally posted by James O'Mara
It looks absolutely beautiful. But what about the remaining 4 pawns?
Jim:
I know nothing about chess so when I put these little pieces on the board for the first time today I knew there was something a amuck!
So.... Linda, I will be a bit late today!

George@Colonel's Workshop
03-02-2003, 6:05 PM
Good Evening Bob,

The board and chessmen look very fine indeed. I made my last sets and board/cabinets as Christmas presents in '97. My eyes won't permit that kind of fine work anymore, but I can surely see and appreciate your work. As I was turning one of the last pawns for #1 son's set, I began thinking of the role each piece has in "army maneuvers", and hatched an idea for a non-regulation chessman . When the pawn reaches the opposite side of the board, it achieves "pawn promotion", giving it the power and flexibility of a queen. So the last two pawns I made were extra to the set, were the same imperial size as the queen, and wore the queen's crown. Of course they are used only in cases where pawn promotion is achieved. I can't say if this has ever happened yet, but its good to be prepared.

Bob Oswin
03-02-2003, 6:43 PM
Originally posted by George@Colonel's Workshop
Good Evening Bob,

The board and chessmen look very fine indeed. I made my last sets and board/cabinets as Christmas presents in '97. My eyes won't permit that kind of fine work anymore, but I can surely see and appreciate your work. As I was turning one of the last pawns for #1 son's set, I began thinking of the role each piece has in "army maneuvers", and hatched an idea for a non-regulation chessman . When the pawn reaches the opposite side of the board, it achieves "pawn promotion", giving it the power and flexibility of a queen. So the last two pawns I made were extra to the set, were the same imperial size as the queen, and wore the queen's crown. Of course they are used only in cases where pawn promotion is achieved. I can't say if this has ever happened yet, but its good to be prepared.

Good one Gerorge:

I know what you are saying about failing eyesight.
This will probably be my last attempt to do fine work.
I am afraid that I have used up most of my eye for detail over the years.
I was hoping to pass on some of my ideas before it becomes too late so that's why I posted these little jobs.

Thanks for your comments.

Take Care
Bob
[FONT=arial][B]