PDA

View Full Version : LEE VALLEY HSS Brad Point Drill Bits

Mac Cambra
07-23-2007, 10:46 PM
Anyone know who makes the HSS brad point bits LV sells? They are really nice bits but a little pricey. Wondering if I could go straight to the source and get a whole set for a cheaper price.

Chances are I will end up paying the price but maybe one of you seasoned deal finders know a trick or two. ;)

Basil Rathbone
07-23-2007, 11:22 PM
When you buy from LV or any other quality supplier you are paying for the fact that they are good. You are paying for the catalogue you used to find the bits, the web site that makes it easier to order them, the cost of getting them and supplying them and most importantly the assurance that they will stand behind their product. Don't try to do an end run around them.

There are very few tricks to being successful. Mostly, it's hard work.

Bill Fleming
07-23-2007, 11:27 PM
Funny you should post this.... I was just using my LV bits the other day and was once again amazed at the quality and quality of the result and was thinking that I should post a note to this effect....

Just buy them and be happy with the result every time you use them!

Cheers - Bill

Gary Keedwell
07-23-2007, 11:30 PM
When you buy from LV or any other quality supplier you are paying for the fact that they are good. You are paying for the catalogue you used to find the bits, the web site that makes it easier to order them, the cost of getting them and supplying them and most importantly the assurance that they will stand behind their product. Don't try to do an end run around them.

There are very few tricks to being successful. Mostly, it's hard work.

I couldn't agree more, Basil. Lee Valley is one of the good guys. They provide an excellent service and I , for one, would like it to continue for a long time.:)
Gary K.

Mike Henderson
07-23-2007, 11:55 PM
In the description of the bits on the LV site, it sounds like LV has the bits made for them. A prudent buyer, in that situation, would require that the supplier not sell the same bits to others, either in retail sales or to another retailer.

I doubt if you can find another source of those exact bits.

But I also agree that LV is one of the very best suppliers anywhere. Whatever you might save, if you could find another source, is not worth it.

Mike

Chris Friesen
07-24-2007, 11:32 AM
I think that they actually make them themselves. From the description on their website:

"Starting with a top-of-the-line American-made twist drill, we reshape and sharpen the tips on a state-of-the-art Swiss CNC grinder."

Ray Scheller
07-24-2007, 2:11 PM
Let me give you a personnal example of Lee Valley going above and beyond to make its customers happy. I bought full set of HSS Brad Point bits a little over a year ago and while using the 5/64" bit I must have put to much pressure on it and it broke. I inquired how to get a replacement bit for it and they sent it to me at no cost, they even picked up the shipping. Granted the whole thing was less than $5 but it's the fact they replaced it at their cost for something I broke. That says it all in my opinion. I won't hesitate to buy anything from them at any time.:D

Larry Fox
07-24-2007, 2:19 PM
Yep I agree - Lee Valley has provided me consistently outstanding customer service and buying experience. Their stuff is top-notch. Robin Lee also frequents some of the newsgroups / forums (although I don't recall seeing a post from him here).

Rod Sheridan
07-24-2007, 2:26 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=530933#post530933

Please see the above thread for my take on Lee Valley Tools....Rod.

J D Thomas
07-24-2007, 3:09 PM
Lee Valley is the pinnacle of how a great business should operate. Stick a crowbar in your wallet and support them. You'll never regret it.

Dan Clark
07-24-2007, 4:08 PM
I'm a Lee Valley customer too. Nothing big, but lots of small things. Their products are great (and in some cases unique), their prices are very fair, they ship on time, their people are knowledgable and customer support is top notch. Oh, yeah... I like 'em a lot.

I don't need them right now, but I've had my eye on the HSS bits for a long time. I'd say go for it and not worry about saving an extra penny or two.

Regards,

Dan.

glenn bradley
07-24-2007, 4:34 PM
If it is any help, I find that I use about 5 or 6 bits more than any others. Rather than buy a full set in 64th's, you could save some money by buying 5/32, 11/64, 1/8, 1/4, 5/16, etc. whatever you use most. I have oocasionally been very happy that I had a 31/64 available but, I could have worked around it.

This would save you money and still get you the great service LV offers.

Gary Keedwell
07-24-2007, 5:49 PM
I recently bought their 1/4--1" HSS Forstner set in a wooden box and am very happy with it. Before that purchase, I had a cheap high carbon set from China:mad: I don't even want to tell you the horror of that experience.:(
Anyways, at the risk of sounding redundant, I for one , will give my support to LV.:D
Gary K.

Ed Breen
07-24-2007, 6:12 PM
NOT ONLY THE WOODWORKING TOOLS, BUT I'VE BOUGHT THE MINERS LAMP, THE STAPLER FOR SWMBO AND JUST ORDERED A SET OF LEATHER GUARDS FOR MY LOWER ARMS. (with the asprin/day and 78 years of banging around, I sure am tender skinned around brush.) The Old adage is "Most times you get what you pay for!!)
Ed:) :)

Mac Cambra
07-24-2007, 7:40 PM
I appreciate all of the inputs with regard to LV and the customer loyalty. I have spent >~$K with them and don't mind spending more, I have been happy with everything I bought. I was just hoping to find a place to save a few bucks. I know the bits are great because I bought a single odd sized bit for a project and it performed so well that it made my other bits seem crappy.

I find that once I find something I like I can't settle for second best so I will break out the crow bar and place the order.

Thanks

Gary Keedwell
07-24-2007, 8:54 PM
Ok Tonto....Looks like our job is done here!!! :D

Gary K.

Grant Wilkinson
07-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Mac

I'm pretty sure that LV grinds the bits themselves. They buy first quality bits, but then they grind the brad points onto them in their own shop.

Michael Schwartz
07-25-2007, 1:34 AM
I will have to order a set of these.

Lee valley is cheaper for some things, and they charge a bit more for others, but they do take care of you which is something that can't be said about most companys these days.

They also produce so many quality inovative tools as well, in an era where the Tool Industry at large doesn't give a !@$% about handtools.

Ed Falis
07-25-2007, 12:53 PM
I will have to order a set of these.

Lee valley is cheaper for some things, and they charge a bit more for others, but they do take care of you which is something that can't be said about most companys these days.

They also produce so many quality inovative tools as well, in an era where the Tool Industry at large doesn't give a !@$% about handtools.

It'd be a bleak retail WW (and gardening) world without them in business. I tend to look there first for a lot of things. I also have the excellent customer service stories. You have to love people who are committed to what they're doing.

Rob Lee
07-25-2007, 3:28 PM
Robin Lee also frequents some of the newsgroups / forums (although I don't recall seeing a post from him here).

Hi -

Yes - I do poke around in here every just about every day - but usually on the "Neanderthal Haven" board - so I missed this thread...

Thanks for all the kind comments!

There's actually a bit of strange trivia associated with those bits... when we went to buy hardened drill rod, we found out that the blanks actually cost more than standard drills - even without the index! So - we decided to buy a Swiss CNC grinder (4 axis + full time internet connection) that could re-grind flutes and tips of drills - the side benefit being we could also use it to sharpen our own machine shop tooling. We start with drills made in the USA - and regrind to our own design and specs. Even though the work is done here in Ottawa, if you're buying the bits in the USA - they are marked "Made in USA". However, if you buy them in Canada - they can be marked "Made in Canada". Under country of origin marking legislation in the USA - there has been no "substantial transformation" - they started as bits, and ended as bits - so they stay American made. Under Canadian legislation - the value added is more than enough that they can be marked "Made in Canada"...

So whenever we're asked where they're made - we have to first ask where the person making the enquiry is....:D

Just one of the everyday weird things we have to do...:confused:

Cheers -

Rob Lee

Ken Werner
07-25-2007, 3:39 PM
I have to jump in and say I am extremely happy with my LV brad point bits. Quality costs, and in this case is worth every penny.

Ken

Eddie Darby
07-25-2007, 3:59 PM
The bits are unique in that the outer wings have trailing edges, so they cut even smoother. A nice design! Worth the extra cost. True LV isn't cheap, but neither is the quality, so you get what you pay for.

Wilbur Pan
07-25-2007, 4:10 PM
So - we decided to buy a Swiss CNC grinder (4 axis + full time internet connection) that could re-grind flutes and tips of drills....
"No, I'm not wasting time checking my eBay auctions -- I'm running the drill grinding machine! Really!" ;)