PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Well got tired of try to drill big pen blanks with a little Delta drill with a 2 3/8" quill travel. Also when I drilled some metal it would stall. So I bought a C-man bench top drill press. It has a 3.28" quill travel. It has had a lot of good reviews and I got to see one first hand. It has a laser that is dead on once adjusted. It has a digital depth gage which is also very accurate. The light leaves something to be desired since it is just a LED. I have a bench light so no biggie. So far I am happy with the purchase. Oh I almost forgot the crank handle. That thing is nice.

Keith Burns
07-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Congrats Bernie !!! I just love new tools !!

Patrick Taylor
07-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Congrats! I'm in the market. What's the C-man model with the good quill travel?

Pete Jordan
07-23-2007, 11:08 PM
Nice gloat Bernie!

I'm sure you will make good use of it.

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2007, 11:24 PM
Congrats! I'm in the market. What's the C-man model with the good quill travel?

This one they say is 3 1/8". Mine showed 3.27" actually on the digital readout buy actually measured 3.28. This model is 21914 and the others were floor models in the $390 to $490 range. I would have liked a floor model but just didn't have the room. I replaced my little Delta with this one.

Barry Stratton
07-24-2007, 1:00 AM
New tools are great, CONGRATS Bernie!

Paul Heely
07-24-2007, 7:34 AM
Ya gotta love new tools. I like the crank handle. Congrats Bernie.

Mark Hubbs
07-24-2007, 8:45 AM
Bernie,

Looks like you picked a good one. The laser indicater is really a neat idea. I suspect most tools will have that some day. I have never seen one with a crank, that must be a new idea also.

Mark

Mike Ramsey
07-24-2007, 8:56 AM
Sweeet! I want one of those!! Congrats Bernie on a nice useable tool!
I'll trade you my HF model & throw in 100 smackers?

Bernie Weishapl
07-24-2007, 9:45 AM
Nope Mike I think this one is a keeper. I really like it so far. I drilled some holes for shelves last night and after reading to book some found another neat thing. If you need to drill like a 3/8" deep hole you turn the drill bit down to the wood, press the zeroing button for zero and then drill to .375" you have your hole. I really like that feature.

Thanks for the comments. I think this is going to do what I need. Mike I also got the warranty for 3 yrs. where they will come to my house and fix it for $24.99. Didn't figure that was to bad.

Mike A. Smith
07-24-2007, 9:47 AM
I like it! Now I want one, I don't really have room for a floor model and this looks like the best bench top I've seen for the price.

Tim Brooks
07-24-2007, 3:26 PM
I wonder what the difference is between the two bench top models besides the two inches in capcity...

21914 and 21900 When I try to compare them side by side the specs don't come over for the 21914.

I actually loooked at these models months back and no one could tell me what the quill travel is so I did not buy. I have been looking for a good drill press that would not break the bank and now that I know this one has the 3 1/4 quill travel I suppose I'm headed to Sears... Hum, I wonder when the next craftsman club discout flyer come out and if this one will be in it. Maybe I should wait and see. I've waited this long...

The other option I was considering was the grizzly @ $225 but it would cost me an additional $75 for shipping verses the sale tax on the craftsman. It just doesn't make sense to buy the grizzly from the dollars and cents perspective.

Richard Magbanua
09-28-2007, 7:37 AM
Bernie,
Congrats on your DP. I picked up my new Craftsman 21914 DP yesterday! I thought $169 was a pretty good deal. The tools manager gave me an extra $10 off with a coupon he had. I like nice people. It seems to be a well made machine and definitely looks nice (that's important, you know). I'll be running it today to finish up a desk I'm building for a friend. Eventually, I'll be building a rolling cabinet for it.
By th way, do I see a C-man lathe peeking at us in that picture? I thought about that one for a bit, but I think I'm going with the Jet 1220 here soon.

Later,
Richard in Indy

Skip Spaulding
09-28-2007, 8:02 AM
Great tool Bernie, digital and laser are a great help the older I get. I can't believe how bad the light is now days!

Christopher K. Hartley
09-28-2007, 10:19 AM
Congrats Bernie, that is one nice looking Drill Press.:)

Joyce Baldauf
09-28-2007, 10:26 AM
Don't you just love the feeling you get when you bring home a new toy, uh tool??

Congrats, Bernie!

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Thanks again. Yep new tools just give you a warm fuzzy. So far this thing has exceeded my expectations. Love the digital read out as you can pretty easily set your depth and see where you are at.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Congrats Bernie!

Gene Kennedy
09-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks for taking the time to share the info Bernie.

I looked at this DP in the C-man catalog a while back, but when I went to the local Sears they didn't have one on display - or in stock for that matter - and like Tim said, no one seemed to know what the quill travel was, so I didn't bother placing an order. Now I know, and now I think I'll buy one too.

Just as a side note; when it comes to listing specs and such, Sears is the pits. They might sell a lot more tools if they bothered to put detailed information into their descriptions in the catalogs and at their online store.

glenn bradley
09-28-2007, 12:29 PM
Just as a side note; when it comes to listing specs and such, Sears is the pits. They might sell a lot more tools if they bothered to put detailed information into their descriptions in the catalogs and at their online store.

I'm convinced any one of us could get a part time job just going through catalogs and websites and telling folks all the wrong, confusing or missing information they have. The increased sales that would result from simply posting information that a lot of people want would more than pay our salary.

I have more than once, bought from someone other than the supplier I was originally searching at simply because I found the info I was looking for somewhere else and there was no price difference. If they are not going to compete on price, then empower us with knowledge (Ooooh . . very philosophical).

Rich Stewart
09-28-2007, 3:04 PM
You got a two room work shop? Wow! I am jealous. I just got a little 12X8 shed and it's getting filled up. I bought that craftsman band saw and i like it lots.

Keith Christopher
09-29-2007, 3:20 AM
congrats bernie !