PDA

View Full Version : Contour or outline only the outside section in Corel

Bob Cole
07-23-2007, 9:43 PM
I have been banging my head against the wall trying to get a cut line on the outside only of a group of objects. I have a picture frame which I combined to objects and wanted to cut out just the outside. I would like to also add the necessary detail to distinguish the art from the frame.

The two horses were added to the main object. I want to make the cut line around the entire picture frame and the center. I will also want to cut out the areas between the horse and the frame. The areas where the horse nose/legs will be connected will be lines.

Can't seem to get the contour or outline to only go on the outside of the objects so I can make the cut.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott Shepherd
07-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Can't see it because I don't have Corel in front of me, but sounds like an application for the boundary tool. Highlight all the objects and then find "create boundary". It should make an outline around the objects that's it's own object.

That's all I can offer without seeing it, but it sounded like it might be what you're looking for.

I also think that's X3 only.

Bob Cole
07-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks for the tip. It looks like the boundary tool will do it. I've been trying to do this with the Contour or Outline functions.

I have a bunch to learn.

Joseph B. Chritz
07-24-2007, 12:27 AM
Hi Bob,
Try this.
Start with the Rectangle Tool.
Put a box around your graphic.
Select the Smart Fill tool and click between the box and your graphic.
Turn off the fill and turn on the outline. (I only moved it for clarity)
Break the curve apart.
Delete the outside box.
NOTE: There is a shadow under the tails that should be removed first.

Joe

Bob Cole
07-24-2007, 2:39 AM
The boundary tool almost did what I wanted but there was that one location on the hind legs that didn't follow the contour of the leg (as Joseph mentioned). It looks like the graphic was produced that way.

Thank you for helping to keep my sanity. My wife thanks you too. She is starting to get the laser bug. We are both learning Corel and the learning curve is much steeper than I anticipated.

Mike Null
07-24-2007, 6:23 AM
Bob
To remove that area you need to break apart the drawing click on the horses and ungroup. That piece is a separate object.