PDA

View Full Version : Woodcraft Scratch & Save July 28

Randy Klein
07-23-2007, 8:52 PM
I got one of those Scratch & Save flyers in the mail from Woodcraft. They're having a 10% off sale on everything July 28. But there are also 4 scratch offs (you can only choose 1) that can be applied to non-power tool stuff.

Does anyone know what kind of savings are under there? Just curious...

Scot wolf
07-23-2007, 9:03 PM
Free $10 Gift Card, can be used after 7/28/07 - Upper Left
Save an additional 10% off all Freud Saw Blades - Lower Left
Save an additional 5% off your purchase today, exclusions apply - Upper Right
Save an additional 10% off wood, glue & finishes - Lower Right

Randy Klein
07-23-2007, 9:07 PM
Scot, thanks, that's awesome.

Jason Beam
07-23-2007, 9:23 PM
Just curious - I wonder if they went through the expense of creating more than one card - anyone had any contradicting results from those that scot posted? :)

Chris Lambert
07-23-2007, 9:26 PM
My scratch off was the same as Scot's...

Jack Ferrell
07-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Mine is also the same as Scot's.

Matt Benton
07-23-2007, 10:21 PM
Same for me...

Tony De Masi
07-24-2007, 7:07 AM
I haven't looked at mine since I got it but if I remember correctly you MUST do the scratch off in the presence of a store employee.

Tony

Craig D Peltier
07-24-2007, 10:14 AM
Mine had 10% boxes no scratching, rockler send a scratch one 5-50% I got %15 under the scratch.

Randal Stevenson
07-24-2007, 3:11 PM
Not sure they are all alike. My father received a slightly different one, with NO gold boxes. Also didn't mention scratching them.

Edit: We are in the same state, and less then 5 miles apart. Our Woodcraft is in the neighboring state.

Philip Florio
07-24-2007, 3:24 PM
I placed and order over the phone with the owner of the Nashville {Franklin}, TN store.

He told me it was only for other items such as router bits. I bought a $800 drum sander, I guess the 5% offer would only count for other items that I buy and not the sander?

Phil

Mark Rios
07-24-2007, 7:21 PM
Gals and fellas, some states have different rules regarding what type of sales and discounts that can be offered. Mailing out an offer adds another twist to an individual states laws. This may be why some have cards with or without gold boxes and so forth.

Incidentally, I'm in California and I received a flyer card also. It has four gold boxes. I haven't scratched off the boxes because, as has been mentioned, the card says that one must scratch off the card in the presence of an employee. I won't be using the card and would happily mail it to someone to use. It's from the Woodcraft in Dublin CA so it would probably work best for someone from the bay area but if you can make sure that you can use it in your state/locale then I'll mail it anywhere.

Wes Bischel
07-24-2007, 7:47 PM
Gee, I didn't get one.:( I am on their mailing list too. Oh well, I did get the birthday card.:D

Wes

Bruce Wrenn
07-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Unfortunately our local Woodcraft Store is having a permenent sale- They announced that they are closing by mid to late August. Boo Hoo!

Don Bullock
07-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Gals and fellas, some states have different rules regarding what type of sales and discounts that can be offered. Mailing out an offer adds another twist to an individual states laws. This may be why some have cards with or without gold boxes and so forth.

Incidentally, I'm in California and I received a flyer card also. It has four gold boxes. I haven't scratched off the boxes because, as has been mentioned, the card says that one must scratch off the card in the presence of an employee. ...

I'm In California and I got the card with just the four gold boxes, no scratch off, so that eliminates that theory.:eek:

David Cramer
07-25-2007, 7:58 AM
I'm not saying that you didn't support your local Woodcraft Store Bruce, but that is exactly why I support mine. I don't want it going under because it wasn't locally supported enough to keep it open. Because of that, I do my part.

I know the prices aren't the cheapest on everything, but that doesn't necessarily make the prices bad, just not the cheapest. It's all how you look at it. You can "almost" always find a lower price on anything if you search enough. When a fellow woodworker complains to me about their prices while shopping at Woodcraft, I always say "but you'd sure miss them if they weren't here".

I am so far from being rich it's pathetic, but I try to do my part because it is a great place to take woodworking courses and the guy/gals who work their are great people to deal with and they always give well intent advice. Hey, they don't want to lose their jobs either.

Our store owner is Matthew and he is a super nice guy who took a chance in my community and for that I am greatful. If the store ever closed, I would have a permanent pit in my stomach. He had a "beautiful" 6" block of exotic wood he showed me last summer that he said would be a great wood to turn a small bowl with. This cool looking piece of wood costed a whole $10!!!! I mean think about it, what a deal. If you took the logistics of getting that wood from it's original origin, the tree, to that store, how much of a profit could the owner be making on it? Not much and he has to make a living too, in addition to paying his employees.

As with most things in life, to each his/her own, buy where you'd like and spend your hard-earned dollars how you'd like. I'm just giving you all something to think about and definitely not trying to start anything. If stores like Woodcraft/Rockler go away, where will you be able to go in person and talk wood? It's actually therapeutic to me, and I'm a "young whipper snapper", as my Grandpa always called me. Food for thought people and I know that many, yes many, will disagree. Good Day!

Dave

p.s. I don't work for Woodcraft or Rockler, just a logical guy giving his own personal opinion. Don't cry when they're gone unless you can say you did your part.

Al Willits
07-25-2007, 8:12 AM
""""""""
Unfortunately our local Woodcraft Store is having a permenent sale- They announced that they are closing by mid to late August. Boo Hoo!
""""""

Any reason why??

The local woodcraft here does not have the customer service that the Rocklers have shown me, thus I spend most my money at Rocklers.
Always hate to see a store close, but sometimes they bring it on themselfs.

Al

Philip Florio
07-25-2007, 9:21 AM
Does anyone know if " Save an additional 5% off your purchase today, exclusions apply - Upper Right" would apply to the main purchase?

Today I'm going to order a Rikon Bandsaw, so I'm wondering beside the 10% off can I get another 5% off the Bandsaw or would this apply to other purchases.

Here in TN the owner of the shop last week told me while placing a phone order that the scratch offs were only for discounts on blades or bits.

Last week I spent $800 on a drum sander.

Phil

Steve Roxberg
07-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Philip,

The additional 5% does not apply to Power Tools is my understanding, but does apply to other items.

Mick Zelaska
07-25-2007, 3:08 PM
I just went on the Rockler site to daydream and add to my wish list when their 5% - 50% Scratch n' Save promotion popped up. :) I caught 25% off and proceeded to take care of my most pressing need - Bessey K-Body clamps - I can now cross the clamps off my wish list.:D

Peter Kuhlman
07-25-2007, 4:10 PM
Mick - Mick - Mick
You really have so much to learn.
You can never have too many clamps.
Besseys are like animals that live in packs - the more there are the happier they are.
You will NEVER stop purchasing clamps.
Better keep that wish list item on there. :D
:) :) :)
Pete

Mick Zelaska
07-25-2007, 4:15 PM
I have clamps on the wish list 5 times. Two through five will work there way to the top of the list in the very near future.

George Summers
07-25-2007, 7:13 PM
As Bruce said above, our store in Raleigh is closing. Here is the info I got on additional discounts at Raleigh

"Quote"
Well folks, it is with a sad heart that I announce that owners are closing down the their Woodcraft store here in Raleigh NC. Lots of you all have received post cards about the big sale this Saturday (28th). It is going to be even bigger now. Here is the break down of discounts.

1. Power tools in stock and special ordered are 10% off
2. Display power tools will be further discounted on a per tool basis
3. All accessories in stock are 20% off
4. Special order accessories are 15% off
5. Classroom shop tools and accessories are 50% off retail.
6. MANY discontinued items at 30% to 80% off.
7. Instock lumber discounted
8. Delta, Porter Cable, & DeWalt will have a mail in rebate for an
additional 10% off!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, there are exceptions.
No discounts on Festool, Leigh, Sawstop, Steel city, & gift cards
Not good in combition with any other discounts or offers.
Previous purchases excluded.
ALL SALES FINAL. NO REFUNDS OR RETURNS.

Again the sale is this Saturday July 28th.
We will open early at 8:00 am and close at 6:00 pm
"End Quote"

George

Gregg Feldstone
07-26-2007, 5:08 AM
mine said you can only scratch off one box (in front of a woodcraft salesman). The box I scratched was for 10% off.

Jason Beam
07-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Which box was it?

Eric McGill
07-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Just a heads up that the Downingtown, PA Woodcraft took a little different approach (rather than having you scratch off). They have you pick a playing card. The number on it corresponds to a place on a card they have marked up, so it ends up being a random pick.

I wasn't in the market for a sawblade today, but they gave me a $10 off next purchase of $100 or more (through August 31).

Steve Roxberg
07-28-2007, 3:45 PM
Just a heads up that the Downingtown, PA Woodcraft took a little different approach (rather than having you scratch off). They have you pick a playing card. The number on it corresponds to a place on a card they have marked up, so it ends up being a random pick.
(through August 31).

Eric,

My tolerance for that nonsense would have been intense. I would have protested loud enough that they would have let me select my own box. It's not our fault that they went the cheap route and only had one card printed up.

They could have done a four up and printed four cards at one time that had different results.

My local Woodcraft had no problem with me selecting my box and they knew that I knew what was behind the offer.

I would avoid that stor.

Rich Rice
07-28-2007, 4:05 PM
I
m with you on that one. I'm also glad I read this thread before I went there today. I got my freebie $10 gift card, and bought a Rikom 14" saw (plus blades). Awesome day today!

Randy Klein
07-28-2007, 4:54 PM
Based on this thread I got my extra 5%. Thanks. And I also think it was lame they didn't let you choose your own box.

Randal Stevenson
07-28-2007, 4:59 PM
Went today (finally done dogsitting), so I didn't have my card. They had them for those that didn't (thankfully), but were still out of what I went for (3/4 baltic birch). So I had been looking around and always kept going back to that LN 40 1/2, said what the hay and went for it. The gentleman next to me was getting ready to scratch off his ticket and they said wait, what are you looking for, I think I can help you choose a box. That was good to see.

While a lot of things are either out of my budget, or I can make, they made me decide they are a good store to support locally. I wish all franchises/store types, could say the same.

Chris Rosenberger
07-29-2007, 9:51 AM
I made 55 mile trip to the Woodcraft in Cincinnati, OH. Scratched for the $10 gift card. I was going to place an order the Woodcraft web site this morning. I found out the card is worth $0. What a deal.

Jake Helmboldt
07-29-2007, 8:36 PM
I went there yesterday to use my savings coupon and had to walk out w/out a couple new planes because they were understaffed. Two people at the registers and one guy on the floor "helping" people. After twice standing around at the plane cabinet waiting for someone to be able to help me I finally left since I had my two young daughters with me. They lost about $400 in sales.

Steve Roxberg
07-29-2007, 9:39 PM
I went there yesterday to use my savings coupon and had to walk out w/out a couple new planes because they were understaffed. Two people at the registers and one guy on the floor "helping" people. After twice standing around at the plane cabinet waiting for someone to be able to help me I finally left since I had my two young daughters with me. They lost about $400 in sales.

Which store did you go to?

Gary Muto
07-30-2007, 5:04 PM
My card was the same too