PDA

View Full Version : New Dust Collector

Paul Heely
07-23-2007, 8:25 PM
After less than a 2 week wait from order to delivery I finally have a real dust collector to use instead of my shop vac. :D

Installation was pretty easy considering I did it with no help. Extra hands would not have made it any easier though. The spot where I wanted to put it required that it be lifted straight up and then the stand be slid in under it. There was no clearance to lift it up and onto the stand without having to tilt it and being so top heavy I wanted no tilting when it was being installed. Basically I winched it straight up using the beams and some hooks in the basement, also had a couple of straps going to the motor to keep it from tipping in any direction. Went off without a hitch.

The duct work, or what little there is, is temporary. Now that I have it installed I go back to Oneida and work with them on the duct layout. I'm very glad I did not do the duct design up front and order the parts because the orientation I had originally planned on using for the inlet and exhaust did not work. It looked good on paper but didn't work out as well as planned.

Suction wise this thing is almost scary. It picks the empty dust bin right up off the floor when its running. I think I'm going to need a bigger lathe because the mini might get sucked down the hose, atleast that's the story I'm going to try on LOML :rolleyes: .

Jim Becker
07-23-2007, 8:32 PM
Congratulations, Paul. Excellent choice and nice job on the installation. And being a turner, you'll very much appreciate putting a floor sweep near your lathes...nice that you can use one given you put in a cyclone! I have three in the shop and the newest one is right next to Stubbalina. :) (One should never use a floor sweep with a single stage DC as metal hitting the impeller is a bad thing)

Steven Wilson
07-23-2007, 9:16 PM
Here's a picture of how I ran a dust hood on my lathe. The connections are all 5" and it works well for sanding operations and when turning small things (pens, cork fishing grips, etc). Of course nothing works for getting wet shavings on big stuff. That's a good size DC and should work well for you, lot's of options for using it while turning.

Paul Heely
07-23-2007, 9:20 PM
Steve, can you tell me where you got the adjustable arm from in your picture?

Pete Jordan
07-23-2007, 9:23 PM
That is one impressive setup you have there! The color almost matches mustard so you might as well go that route.

Joe Mioux
07-23-2007, 9:25 PM
Paul:

YOu are going to love that DC. I do.

sascha gast
07-23-2007, 9:28 PM
Steve, can you tell me where you got the adjustable arm from in your picture?

it's a rockler item.

I have the 3hp dustgorilla as well. make sure it doesn't suck your mini lathe up, you know it can.

congrats

Jim Becker
07-23-2007, 9:30 PM
I have that same arm/hood at the lathe for sanding and yes, I bought it from Rockler.

Paul Heely
07-23-2007, 9:55 PM
Thanks for the Rockler info guys.

I just tried the DC is going to suck up the lathe story with LOML. I'm gonna be turning on the mini for a little while longer..... :(

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Congrats Paul. That puppy is going to do some serious dust collecting.

Keith Burns
07-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Great gloat, Congrats !! Check Penn State for the Arm. Think they are considerably cheaper.