PDA

View Full Version : Old B&D planer blade setting???

Hal Flynt
07-23-2007, 4:35 PM
I have semi inherited an abused B&D 3 1/4" power planer. The previous owner had used it to plane the edges of plywood and even take down nail heads if he needed to. The blade had almost an 1/8” chunk out of the cutting edge. I took the blade cover tension thing off ( spring steel held on by 4 screws) and then the part that I thought was a blade ( held on by two machine screws), This is when I discovered the 2 sided blade insert, good deal. I cleaned the surfaces of rust and crud and put them back together. This was when I realized that the blades were held in place by the spring tension cover and not the part that I originally thought was the blade.:(

I need to know how to set the 2 screw blade holder, which would be the equivalent of setting a jointer blade height. The planer has a depth setting dial and it cuts just barely on the largest setting, so I know I need to set them higher. Before I go and take a lot of time using my dial indicator and do some trial and error settings, I thought I would pose the question to the Creek.

(The manual only tells how to remove and replace the blades. I believe the initial setting is a factory setting.)

Thanks in advance.

Hal Flynt
07-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Thanks for looking.

I think my best plan is to set the adjuster plate on one knife to get a kiss contact on the lowest setting, then set the other one the same with a dial indicator and try to remember to leave them alone next time!:D

Michael Schwartz
07-25-2007, 12:33 PM
If it don't work, try something else :cool:

Might be a simpler way, but that sounds like it will work.

Might come out more accurate with a dial indicator than they were set from the factory.