PDA

View Full Version : Special Cane

Frank Kobilsek
07-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Guys,
I haven't posted picts in a while but kinda of proud of this piece. Canes were the reason I started turning but they have went to the way side with all the other projects.

This cane is for my Father in law for a family wedding this coming weekend. He's 87 and they are making him wear a tux for the first time in his life. I figured he needed a more dapper cane for the outfit.

Its maple and cocobolo. The cocobolo open twist is my first and inspired by my visit to the North Carolina Mountain Woodturners club meeting over a year ago where I saw Stuart Mortimer whip out something like this in about 7 minutes, took me 7 hours. The maple is from bleachers removed from a local school, orginally installed in the school in 1906.

The Open Twist has a 1/2 hole bored thru it and the handle and staff have tenons which fit thru brass washers into the cocobolo. I added the brass tube to stiffen the whole assembly.

I want to try this open twist concept on a hollowform next.

Frank

Bob Hallowell
07-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Frank, that is truly a work of art. I don't think I have ever seen a cane that nice before.

How did you do the open twist? I think I smell a tutorail in the air

Bob

John Schreiber
07-23-2007, 10:22 AM
That goes beyond dapper to elegant. Nice work.

Paul Engle
07-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Nice work Frank, I agree ... daper just not enuf, astute maybe. Anyway well done. I belivev FIL will like very much.

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Yes Frank that is definitely elegant. He is going to be the talk of the town with a tux and that cane. It is beautiful Frank. Well done.

Dick Parr
07-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Wow Frank, that is a great piece of work. That will put that Tux to shame.

Wonderful job.:D

Frank Kobilsek
07-23-2007, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys

Bob, you better get the Stuart Mortimer book or video. Basicaly you lay out the binds on the lathe between centers and start filing. I bought two of every size round bastard file in town the afternoon I made the twist. My 7 hours included 4 trips to the hardware store. I used up a full box of that pen turners sandpaper sanding it. Tearing the 1 inch strips in halfs and quarters about 3 feet long then wrap it and pull it back and forth. I think on the NC Mountain Woodturners website there is a write up on the demo I saw, probably last June.

Frank

TYLER WOOD
07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Fantastic! Gorgeous! I want one like then when I need it.

Tom Sherman
07-23-2007, 4:10 PM
Frank, that is an elegant cane and should be very popular.

Dennis Peacock
07-23-2007, 4:21 PM
A most excellent cane from a pair of hands full of love and respect. Absolutely beautiful Frank.!!! :cool:

Shannon Grizzell
07-23-2007, 8:52 PM
If I were your father-in-law, I'd be proud to carry such a magnificent piece of craftsmanship. Well done!

Joseph Peacock
07-23-2007, 8:58 PM
That is very nice!!!!!!:D ;) :cool:

Pete Jordan
07-23-2007, 9:07 PM
Outstanding Frank!

Makes me want to limp.

I think you should be very proud of that piece of art!

Steve Schlumpf
07-23-2007, 9:30 PM
Frank - that is one beautiful cane! Nothing better than making something for family! You should be proud of this one! Seriously nice work!

Keith Burns
07-23-2007, 11:02 PM
Frank, WOW ! I am so impressed. That is a true work of art !!!

Don Eddard
07-24-2007, 5:06 AM
I agree with all the previous comments. That's a superb piece of work.

Frank Kobilsek
07-24-2007, 8:50 AM
Thanks again everyone.
Frank