PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
07-23-2007, 9:31 AM
23 July 2007

Good Morning,
No woodworking for me as I have been out of town again for the day job.

Left eary Wednesday morning for Philadelphia and was able to visit Colonel George Dart and his life long friend Charlie Verna. I had a wonderful visit with George and Charlie on Wednesday evening before my work began the next morning. I got to take a tour of George's shop and was educated and encouraged by Charlie to widen my woodworking skills by trying my hand at woodcarving. I would like to try my hand at woodcarving as I feel it would make me a better craftsman, but so little time and it would require me to acquire some tools that I don't have for the sole purpose of carving.
Thanks to George and Cathy as well as Charlie and Clair for a wonderful visit and I greatly appreciate their hospitality.

Well, I survived yet one more Disaster Recovery Exercise and it was declaired by the customer as being successful. The real problem is that I just don't handle being awake all those hours as well as I used to.

I was going to visit with The Becker Family again, but things didn't work out to where I could visit with them Saturday evening as work and sleep decided it best for me to "get" some sleep as well as pack for my flight back on early Sunday morning.

Needless to say, I'm back at home now and I'm tired but getting ready for a visit tonight, hopefully, with Ken Fitzgerald and just maybe Tod Evans. So I guess I'd better get out there and start cleaning up my shop a bit today hugh?

So what did YOU do this weekend???

Best of weeks to you all.

Don Bullock
07-23-2007, 9:45 AM
Good morning Dennis. I'm glad you had a good trip, but sorry that your visit with the Beckers didn't work out.

I got no shop time over the weekend. Our basset hound was Best of Breed both Saturday and Sunday, so we ended up spending most of the day both days waiting to show on the Hound Group. On Sunday our girl made the "cut" of seven before the judge selected her final four placements. Fortunately we have some good friends that were at the show both days so they made waiting both days more enjoyable. One friend and his wife stopped by our house the see the progress on my mantle project and the table I built recently. The bronze sculpture that he created will be displayed on the mantle. He was thrilled to see where it will go and felt quite honored that a piece of his art work would be prominently displayed in our home.

Since I'm off from school for the summer, I've planned at least two days this week to put the finish on the mantle. If all goes as planned I may have pictures by next weekend.

Karl Laustrup
07-23-2007, 9:57 AM
Mornin' Dennis.

Busy weekend here. First the grandkids [4] are with us for 2 weeks, so we have a house full.

I spent most of my time dragging the hose around for watering the lawn. Still no rain here in almost 4 weeks.

I also spent some time chasing moles all over the back yard. Got 2 more on Saturday using a 4 prong fork and one Saturday night in one of the 6 traps I have set. I'm now up to 9 down and I don't know how many more to go. I thought that was it, as there was no more digging all day Sunday, but I when I checked this morning there were more tracks in an area that hadn't been dug in for a couple of days. So now all 6 traps are set on this set of tracks. I WILL PREVAIL!!!

I also did get a wee bit of cleaning of the shop done. Putting stuff away and trying to clear off the bench. Still more to clean before a visit Friday by another "Creeker".

Also, had a quick visit from "Spring" who helped me set up my wireless network. Thanks.

Y'all have a good week now ya' hear.

And Dennis I'm jealous that you're getting to meet Ken. Make sure you get some pics.

Karl

Jim O'Dell
07-23-2007, 10:11 AM
I spent Sat. am driving to Arlington to check a dog out at the shelter. Felt the mix was a little too much to pass off as an Irish. Hard to leave them there though. Spent Sat. afternoon partly in the shop, and partly visiting with a friend in from Florida. She was the Rescue Co-ordinator here before leaving for England and my wife taking over the responsibilities. She is still on our BOD and a great help, even though she is a long ways from us.
Sunday, got the first of the 2 torsion boxes done for the multistation benches. By done, it is put together. Still need to bondo the holes and finish sand and straighten the front edges to be ready for the laminate. Will build the second one this next weekend.
Had a nice little rain after I quit in the shop about 6:00. It was greatly appreciated! Have a great week!!!! Jim.

Jim Becker
07-23-2007, 10:31 AM
You were missed, Dennis, but the girls certainly understood you needed to sleep!

My weekend was pretty decent. Saturday involved getting the lawn mowed after two weeks of sub-tropical PA weather while I was traipsing around Seoul and Shanghai. I also moved the tractor implements to a better location that wouldn't interfere with some upcoming septic work as well as reconditioned the driveway surface with my back blade. The day was rounded off with another great Bollywood flick with the family.

Sunday was a "late start" day, but I got in the shop and worked on the cherry vanities (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56649&page=2) for the master bath in our addition...which if all goes well...we'll be BREAKING GROUND THIS WEEK! Finally.

glenn bradley
07-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Left Friday night to deliver LOML's daughter to a friend's house in Arizona, just across the river (120 degrees; a tad warm even for a SoCal boy). Stayed the night and woke up early to head back to SoCal to catch a ball game Saturday night. Recovered Sunday with yard work.

Oh, I did put up part of the new lumber storage rack so all is not lost.

A Pic of a small finger of the Colorado River from the AZ side:

Tyler Howell
07-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Good weekend in the city. Got a lot of work done on house and yard.
Had a nice date at a new resturant with one of the lady friends.

Helped with a dear departed friends belongings. He was a WW and Ham.
A few laughs and few tears trying to sort out his stuff.

Took a road trip through the urban jungle. Kinda nice on a warm day to see what has been done to the business district of the Minneaple.
Have a safe week.
TJH

Greg Narozniak
07-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Was able to have lots of shop time this weekend as LOML took the kids up to Mass. to vist with her sisters.

I was able to finish the Miter saw bench and starting moving things back under it so some clutter was reduced.

Finally able to get the Dust collection duct work 75% done, would have been more but I needed 10 6" 45 degree PVC bends and the plumbing supply only had 3, so I had to throw a gate at the end of my main run for now.

Got the TS run done, Floor sweep done, Miter saw run is there ready to be hooked up and part of an overhead run done. I am going to need another pair of hands as it is an 8' straight run and I cannot do it alone, tried a few times unsuccessfully :) so had to gate that as well for now. Taped all the joints with Foil tape and fired up the Oneida and it actually sucks pretty darn good!! Been so long I forgot how good that unit works.

I hung the 5 remaining lights, added another 20amp outlet and a switch for 4 of the new lights in a double gang box between the garage doors.

Hung a 1/4 hp 24" fan that I was given and it really helped with the temp in the garage. Was also able to start unboxing some stuff and clearing off some shelves like saw blades, Nail gun nails, etc, reorganized my clamps and they are now hanging nicely all together.

Sunday was able to actually make a shelving unit for a basement closet that was long over due. Sunday Night was a lot of B and B (Beer and Ben Gay)

Matt Meiser
07-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Busy weekend here. Friday night I installed the drawer fronts and did most of the door/drawer fitting on the bathroom cabinets.

Saturday I did some welding for the next door neighbors to repair their rear finish mower which had the lower mounting points ripped out of the deck. So I cut off what was left and welded plates over the holes and reattached the mounts. We then went to a local tractor show for a few hours and finished the day going out to eat and doing some errands.

Sunday I worked a little more on the mower deck, mowed the lawn (we got about 36 hours of rainy weather last week to make the lawn grow), put Thompsons water seal on my trailer, and did a little straightening in the shop before heading to my parents' for dinner and to install their new window A/C unit.

Al Willits
07-23-2007, 2:30 PM
Other than a couple of striker plates, the never ending storage cabinet project is done...finally.

First half of saturday was spent on that, the second half was on the lake with the new boat, Beasty even likes it so it'll be a keeper...:D

Sunday wife was still feeling poorly from the cold she has and left me along to play in the garage, also did a bit of rearanging on the boat and basicly didn't get involved in anything, did grill some staeks and also a few of the peppers we have from the garden.
Discovered blossom end rot on the tomatoes, so we get to fight that, but all in all a pretty nice weekend.

Hope yours was too.

Al...who never heard of blossom end rot till yesturday

Bill Arnold
07-23-2007, 3:47 PM
Putting my new shop together is taking a lot longer than I had hoped, but at least it's getting more serviceable as I progress. Someday, maybe I can be a more productive participant in the Forum as well.

My latest accomplishment is completion of support/outfeed benches around my tablesaw. One of the benches also serves as my router table. I need to add a few electrical outlets around the assembly and build a dust collection box under the router.

The outfeed table extends 48" beyond the tablesaw for a total of 75". Each of the side benches match the tablesaw/outfeed combo in length. I have 56" of support from the blade to the edge of the bench to the left of the tablesaw, so I can lay out a full 4'x8' sheet prior to cutting. There's 68" of support to the right of the blade.

Overkill? Maybe. But I'm sure I'll learn to live with it! :D