PDA

View Full Version : Oak nignt stands completed

Mark Singer
07-23-2007, 9:20 AM
Yesterday I finished the 2 oak night stands and delivered them. This was a fun project and is a good exercise for the table saw. Things must be accurate or they will not fit well. One important key is to use a sled and run the 45 angle using it. This greatly improves precision. The accuracy of setting the drawer on guides to the cabinet is another test. Just let the screws come through the sub drawer face just enough to mark it. Put a little weight in the drawer to bring it lower as it would be with stuff in it. Then the final adjustment is done with the guide screws ....raising or lowering the guide .

Mark Singer
07-23-2007, 9:22 AM
more digital images....remember film?

Larry Fox
07-23-2007, 9:27 AM
Very nice Mark, very nice indeed. Making good use of the "concrete workbench" on these I see.

Don Bullock
07-23-2007, 9:50 AM
Excellent craftsmanship Mark. The way the drawers fit into the cabinet is very well done.

Jim Becker
07-23-2007, 10:44 AM
They look great, Mark!!!

Maurice Ungaro
07-23-2007, 11:04 AM
Mark,
Those are absolutely stunning.

Tyler Howell
07-23-2007, 11:05 AM
Very Nice.

Joe Unni
07-23-2007, 4:48 PM
Very nice Mark! The simplicity really does it for me.

Thank you for sharing.

-joe

Matt Campbell
07-23-2007, 7:22 PM
Very nice Mark! The simplicity really does it for me.

Thank you for sharing.

-joe

That's exactly what I thought. Well done.

Keith Cope
07-23-2007, 9:53 PM
Nice job Mark, they look great (as your pieces always do)!

One question, what reinforces the miters in the case sides/top? I've been considering a somewhat similar carcase design for my own bedroom furniture, but have wrestled with how best to construct.

Mark Singer
07-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Nice job Mark, they look great (as your pieces always do)!

One question, what reinforces the miters in the case sides/top? I've been considering a somewhat similar carcase design for my own bedroom furniture, but have wrestled with how best to construct.

The miters are stronger then you think because there is a large surface area and since the grain is continuous the joint is stronger. Now I used a few brads just to make sure. When you make a complete box like this with only one opened side....it is rigid! I started with an MDF base that is pocket screwed into the short sides. That in itself is a strong foundation. Then the top....then the back.. The miter surface on 3/4 is almost 1/14"

Alan Greene
07-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Awesome work Mark. Have you ever thought about putting all of your "threads" together into a woodworking/art/instructional book?

Jay Albrandt
07-24-2007, 3:11 AM
Mark,

You continue to amaze me with your design and execution. The bed is also very pleasing...did you make that too?

Keep posting your work for our inspiration. Thanks.

Jay

Mark Singer
07-24-2007, 8:50 AM
Mark,

You continue to amaze me with your design and execution. The bed is also very pleasing...did you make that too?

Keep posting your work for our inspiration. Thanks.

Jay
Yes the bed was posted earlier on SMC...
Simple pieces like this show all the flaws and require careful execution. Proportions and details are very important. Even though the leg base plates are only 1/8" thick they were mortised into the solid oak base as a flush inlay....This was done with a simple template and a router and chisel.

Mike Cutler
07-24-2007, 9:14 AM
Very nice Mark.

Pleasing lines and proportions. The aesthetics of the lighter tone are accentuated by the vertical darker pulls. Very classy look.
The night stands and bed are pieces furniture that will be easy to place into a lot of different enviorments,and still be in style.

Mark Singer
07-24-2007, 9:29 AM
The "reveal " or "floating " detail is very simple . Just a piece of 1/2" Baltic Birch set about 2" back from all edges. It is like making a sandwich with the BB in the middle. It creates a relationship between the base and the cabinet carcass and retains the clarity of each. In modern design I like to see the separate elements separated and pure....so they read as individual elements. Unless they blend as in the headboard or the organic lamps and tables I have made. On flowing pieces it is the unity and overall form....or the smoothness of transitions and joints that is very important. It is true the night-stands are not in the same same design theme as the bed......this is intentional. This way it is a bit eclectic and not so much a set....they are visually conected by the oak rather than the form. Often too much of the same can get rigid and boring and a change in form creates a relationship between pieces

Zahid Naqvi
07-24-2007, 11:00 AM
very nice Mark

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
07-24-2007, 11:15 AM
It's funny how I never thought of using oak the way you have here, it's really well done and the oak looks perfect in this design....Well Done!:D

Ryan Singer
07-24-2007, 11:38 AM
there's a little mark... oh.. that's no, it's part of the grain. I like it.. very nice mark Mark! kidding.

those are nice side tables! High 5 Dad!

Gail O'Rourke
07-25-2007, 9:27 PM
Awesome night stand Mark, I love them!

Ryan, you have an incredible website.

I wish you were both closer...

Great work!!!

Ed Garrett
07-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Mark,

I always enjoy seeing what you make. Looks great and gives me ideas.

Jason Tuinstra
07-27-2007, 10:44 PM
Mark, fantastic!!! It all fits together beautifully. Great job.

Dan Mages
09-10-2007, 9:17 PM
Exactly what I would expect from Mark Singer. Wonderful Job!!

Dan

BTW... who is the lady in the background?