PDA

View Full Version : This is SPINDLE TAP

Phillip H Smith
07-23-2007, 8:16 AM
Sorry...got carried away with the title there....(Anyone remember the movie from 1984?)

Seriously though, every so often a tool comes along that pays for itself the first time it's used. Here's an example.

The Beall Spindle Tap (from Woodcraft for about $18) was used to make a custom-size screw chuck that would have cost around $20-30 otherwise.

The tap is easy to use. Comes with brief instructions on the packaging. A detailed review and video of its use can be found at NewWoodWorker.com I have no affiliation.

I think this tool will become a "much used" item for making glue block chucks and other useful way of attaching wood to the lathe. I tapped two 2.5" blocks (one shown at right), then I turned one down to around 2" and inserted a #14 screw (with epoxy to keep it from backing out). The square one will probably end its life as a waste glue block.

Bonnie Campbell
07-23-2007, 8:37 AM
Thanks for posting on it. I have been looking at it in the catalog, but decided I wanted to hear some reviews on it first. Sounded like a smart idea.

Jim Becker
07-23-2007, 9:46 AM
I've been thinking for awhile that one of these taps would be a pretty good investment for many turners specifically to make all kinds of custom "mounts" for various kinds of turning situations. And you can't get a "truer faceplate" than one you turn yourself!

Travis Stinson
07-23-2007, 12:43 PM
"Can you hear the sustain?" :D

Yes, those are great accessories, I have one for each lathe. They come in very handy for making vacuum chucks also. ;)

Mike Vickery
07-23-2007, 12:45 PM
So would you rate this an 11.

I have also considered this several times but have not pulled the trigger to get it yet.

Pete Jordan
07-23-2007, 9:17 PM
I got mine a while back but hadn't used it yet. After reading your post, I made a vacuum chuck and a ball chuck today. It works like a charm!

Bob Hallowell
07-23-2007, 10:07 PM
I was wondering if you used it to drum with would you spontaneously combust?:confused:

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
07-23-2007, 10:09 PM
Oh oh I guess there is another thing to buy. I had been wondering about getting one but glad you brought it up. Well will get one ordered or maybe 2 since I have 1 X 8 and 1 1/4 X 8.

Pat Doble
07-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Certainly in the topsy, turvy world of heavy rock, having a good solid piece of wood in your hand is quite often...useful.

Thanks for the review, I'll be looking to pick one up when I finally pony up for a vac system.

Bonnie Campbell
07-24-2007, 12:05 AM
Going to add one to my order Saturday :D