PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder Burl NE x2, and Walnut platter

Kevin McPeek
07-22-2007, 9:43 PM
Well these bowls have to be the longest bowls to finish I have ever made. Lets just say they have been re-refinished more than once, but we'll not get into those details.
Anyway the small one is a core of the larger. I call the core the "diet candy dish" because you risk injury to get anything out of it. The big one is 10"x8" and the small one is 6"x3.5". The large one is the one that spawned the thread I started long ago about how many of you have put a bowl on your head, you know just to see if it fit.

The platter is walnut and just shy of 17" across.

Any comments and/or critiques are appreciated.

Tom Sherman
07-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Cool platter and NE bowls ... so how did it fit?

Mark Cothren
07-22-2007, 10:39 PM
Good stuff, Kevin - nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
07-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Very nice Kevin. I really like the NE's. Walnut platter is very nice. Gotta love turning walnut.

Bob Hallowell
07-22-2007, 11:42 PM
Kevin, They are all very nice!

Bob

Steve Schlumpf
07-23-2007, 9:04 AM
Very nice work on all three pieces Kevin! Love the set of NE bowls!

Jim Becker
07-23-2007, 9:38 AM
Very nice work, Kevin!

Kevin McPeek
07-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the comments.
I was a little unsure of the shape on these, but wanted to try a tall bowl and this seemed like a good oppertunity, so this is what I ended up with.

Bill Wyko
07-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Top notch in all the above. Real beauties.:)

Mike Vickery
07-23-2007, 12:48 PM
I have seen all of these in person and they are beauties, especially the walnut platter.

Brett Baldwin
07-23-2007, 2:02 PM
I saw the bowls this weekend at the meeting and they are nice. They were even used as a demonstration of a consistent natural edge when the bark isn't there.

Keith Burns
07-23-2007, 11:07 PM
Kevin, they all look great !! Nice work !

Curt Fuller
07-24-2007, 10:11 AM
Kevin, those are all great bowls. But that walnut platter is really nice. I like the smooth flowing curve in the rim and it's really a nice piece of wood.

Joseph Peacock
07-24-2007, 6:59 PM
Very nice work!!!!!!!:D ;) :cool:

Bob Feeser
07-24-2007, 11:28 PM
Kevin,
Very nice work. Technique is one thing, but creating work like this is artwork as well. The bowl has a unique feel to the pattern in the wood, and it blends beautifully with the upper edge. Is that more due to the wood selection, or the design choices? Or both? Great symmetry.

The walnut platter is another expression of art, very well done. The size and proportion are tastefully done. I also noticed that the platter has a grain/wavy pattern that is very well balanced. That also reflects careful choosing of wood, and using the right section.
Professional photographers, as well as artists working on a canvas, strive for that kind of balance. The entire piece has variations that resolve themselves into a very nice balance with the rest of the piece.
It's a pleasure looking at work like that. Keep up the good work, and be sure and keep the camera handy.

Kevin McPeek
07-25-2007, 12:18 AM
Thanks again everybody.

Bob, the grain of the bowl is due to the burl. A peak inside and you see all the birds eye looking burl and that's what follows all the way to the tips. I was a pleasantly surprised with the effect it brings.

Not the best picture but you can see the transition here.

Allen Neighbors
07-25-2007, 6:31 PM
Kevin, those are beautiful... all of them. I too love turning black walnut. You made the best better...
I love those burl bowls! Someday, I hope to get a chance to turn some burl like that. We don't see many burls in my part of the world. And we certainly don't have any businesses that sell them. I'd have to go to Fort Worth, or Oklahoma City, to Woodcraft to get anything close, and by the time I pay for the fuel to get there, I'd be too broke to purchase. :D
You really have excelled in these pieces!