PDA

View Full Version : on line pharma

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-22-2007, 9:36 PM
The ones where you get the diagnosis and the RX online.

Any one know any one who has used 'em~??

I don't know whether they are real or scams.

Jim Becker
07-22-2007, 9:59 PM
For diagnosis? Nope. And I don't think I'd do that outside of maybe simple things. But we very recently came really close to using an online pharmacy in Canada for a medication a family member needs when an insurance "rule" issue threatened to make it very difficult to properly monitor, change dosages and acquire the medication in question. The Canadian online pharmacy would have cut the cost of a month's supply from about $450 to about $150 if we had to go that route out-of-pocket. Not chump change...

David G Baker
07-22-2007, 11:03 PM
I do a lot of research on line when I get a new drug prescribed and I also read up on symptoms when they show up but as far as trusting any on-line diagnosis 100% I don't think that is a good idea.
I did discover that I have problems with statins and am one of the types that can not take them for high cholesterol with out having side effects. I was able to get some in depth information on the Internet and confirmed the information with my doctor.
I am not comfortable with buying drugs off of the net unless I can confirm that the source is legitimate, but am not against making a trip to Canada (after I get a passport) to purchase drugs from a Canadian pharmacy.

Bonnie Campbell
07-22-2007, 11:57 PM
I buy prilosec online. The person is in WA state but the pills come from India. Haven't had any problem with them and they're a fraction of the cost that I'd pay here.

Jeffrey Makiel
07-23-2007, 11:10 AM
I remember a News report about six months ago on getting drugs from Canada. There was US legislation proposed to make it illegal to bring pharmaceuticals across the border from Canada. This law may already be in place.

The driving force was for the crack down of senior citizens that would van pool to Canada on a quarterly basis to get their meds. They would set up appointments with Canadian doctors to get their scripts, and then they were off the the Canadian drug store.

The US pharmaceutical industry is/was lobbying the US Federal government to end this. The FDA made a statement that Canadian pharmaceuticals are not under the strict controls and guidelines as are the US based pharmaceuticals and therefore importation must be stopped. Even if the drug originated in the US.

I always thought that drug trafficing across our unprotected southern border with Mexico was the issue. However, I was wrong. It's those pesky senior citizens sneaking off to Canada to get their fix. :)

-Jeff :)

Matt Meiser
07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Being less than an hour from Canada, my doctor said she actually encourages that practice. Of course she was Canadian but moved to the US which probably changed her viewpoint.

Jim Becker
07-23-2007, 3:22 PM
The US pharmaceutical industry is/was lobbying the US Federal government to end this. The FDA made a statement that Canadian pharmaceuticals are not under the strict controls and guidelines as are the US based pharmaceuticals and therefore importation must be stopped. Even if the drug originated in the US.

Ya gotta love this argument...the pharmas don't trust their own products and I won't even mention me feelings about the other part 'cause it would be a TOS violation. This is 100% about money which is exactly why we came close to buying from up north just recently.

Cliff Rohrabacher
07-25-2007, 9:36 AM
So no body has even heard of an online DX & RX service that any one has used?

I see them on the web and wonder how they work.

In my state an MD has to see you or she can not prescribe for you - period. Some will let one visit slip by here or there but if they don't have a face to face Dr/patient relationship the law says they can not prescribe.

BUT - - - there may be treaties that may (I'm just guessing here) grant comity to things like non-national physicians who have issued prescriptions to patients who are in the US.

If that is so (if) a non US Doctor wouldn't be violating any rules by conducting an internet office visit VIA some online company and then issued an RX which that the same online company could fill and mail to a US resident.