PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Battery Recall 14.4 & 18 Volt ~ Explosion Laceration Hazard

Bob Feeser
07-22-2007, 8:43 PM
Over a million batteries are being recalled. U.S.Product Safety Commission released the recall July 10, 2007. They can explode causing a laceration.
Milwaukee announced a battery recall for their 14.4's and 18 volt cordless drill etc, type batteries. Also Chicago Pneumatic, and Extrator were named in the recall.

I have the 14.4 with the battery model# mentioned in the recall, and will be calling tomorrow. Will follow up when I get more information, but don't wait for me, here are the links:
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/news.nsf/vwRecalls/35AF1309660DBE748625730C00680FAA?OpenDocument

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/site.nsf/vwPromos/76ADD0B77ECDCB378625730C006DCBE0/$FILE/Recall%20Website%20PDF.pdf?OpenElement

They are instructing you to stop using the batteries immediately, due to explosion hazard. The good news is that they are replacing them with new ones.

Bob Feeser
07-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Over a million batteries are being recalled. U.S.Product Safety Commission released the recall July 10, 2007. They can explode causing a laceration.
Milwaukee announced a battery recall for their 14.4's and 18 volt cordless drill etc, type batteries. Also Chicago Pneumatic, and Extrator were named in the recall.

I have the 14.4 with the battery model# mentioned in the recall, and will be calling tomorrow. Will follow up when I get more information, but don't wait for me, here are the links:
http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/news.nsf/vwRecalls/35AF1309660DBE748625730C00680FAA?OpenDocument

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/site.nsf/vwPromos/76ADD0B77ECDCB378625730C006DCBE0/$FILE/Recall%20Website%20PDF.pdf?OpenElement

They are instructing you to stop using the batteries immediately, due to explosion hazard. The good news is that they are replacing them with new ones.

Here is the follow up. I called Milwaukee at the 800 number listed in the above links. My 2 batteries are part of the recall, according to the CAT.NO. and the date code. They instructed me that; We will send you a label for Fed Ex shipping, place your old batteries in a box that I supply. Then call Fed Ex and they will pick them up at my home address. Upon receiving them, they will supply 2 new replacements.

I am curious if their is anyone else out there at SMC that have these recalled batteries, and if so how many? If you have one, please reply to this post, that will bring it up to the front. If it has no replies, it will get buried on page 4 real quick. That is a problem for 2 reasons. SMC members may wind up using batteries that could cause them personal injury. Plus they are missing out on getting a new set of batteries that aren't exactly cheap.

I have read reviews from those who have been using the battery model numbers being recalled, and complaining of them overheating with continual use. My brother using them on the job, burned them out, and tossed them, buying new ones. Some say that the recalled batteries are under rated??? That is why they have a problem, plus their is a vent hole that gets blocked while recharging them. If the new replacements don't have that problem, then you are getting a set of batteries that should last longer. The battery with the problem is a NiCD.

Jason White
07-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I read about that on their website yesterday.

Luckily, mine (14.4v) were made just a few weeks after the bad batch (according to the "date code" printed on the battery). Mine were also made in Japan, and my understanding is that the recalled batteries were made in Mexico.

JW

Here is the follow up. I called Milwaukee at the 800 number listed in the above links. My 2 batteries are part of the recall, according to the CAT.NO. and the date code. They instructed me that; We will send you a label for Fed Ex shipping, place your old batteries in a box that I supply. Then call Fed Ex and they will pick them up at my home address. Upon receiving them, they will supply 2 new replacements.

I am curious if their is anyone else out there at SMC that have these recalled batteries, and if so how many? If you have one, please reply to this post, that will bring it up to the front. If it has no replies, it will get buried on page 4 real quick. That is a problem for 2 reasons. SMC members may wind up using batteries that could cause them personal injury. Plus they are missing out on getting a new set of batteries that aren't exactly cheap.

I have read reviews from those who have been using the battery model numbers being recalled, and complaining of them overheating with continual use. My brother using them on the job, burned them out, and tossed them, buying new ones. Some say that the recalled batteries are under rated??? That is why they have a problem, plus their is a vent hole that gets blocked while recharging them. If the new replacements don't have that problem, then you are getting a set of batteries that should last longer. The battery with the problem is a NiCD.

Bob Feeser
07-23-2007, 3:54 PM
Yeah, I read about that on their website yesterday.

Luckily, mine (14.4v) were made just a few weeks after the bad batch (according to the "date code" printed on the battery). Mine were also made in Japan, and my understanding is that the recalled batteries were made in Mexico.

JW

JW,
I'm glad you brought that up. Actually the release has a mistake in it, identifying them as having been made in Mexico, or only those made in Mexico. Mine were made in Japan, and were part of the recall. In addition, I read of someone who called to inquire about the claim, with several, and one of them had a date that was a little newer, and outside of the range, and they instructed him to send all the batteries back, and they would replace that one as well.

When you call the 800 number, you give them the model #'s off of the battery, and read them the date stamp, and they tell you what to do. If it qualifies, then they put your name and address in the computer, sending you out the FedEx Pre Paid shipping label. Hmm, new replacements for couple year old batteries, and an 800 number to call, with free shipping. That's a deal that is hard to pass up.

I bought mine at Home Depot, when they were clearing them out to make room for the Rigid line.

No invoice no problem, they don't ask for one. Now let me see, maybe it's time to rummage through the recycling bin. :D Oh now that is going too far. I did read of someone, who I am assuming had crews, who exchanged 10 or 15 of them. I only have the 2 that came with my drill. My brother had the same drill, and wore them out, and tossed them, and bought new ones. Ouch.

David DeCristoforo
07-23-2007, 4:23 PM
"...will send you a label for Fed Ex shipping, place your old batteries in a box that I supply. Then call Fed Ex and they will pick them up at my home address. Upon receiving them, they will supply 2 new replacements..."

And what is everyone supposed to do for batteries in the meantime? It would be much nicer of them to send the new batts up front since the "old" ones are effed up through no fault of the end user.

Bob Feeser
07-23-2007, 5:10 PM
Dave,
I understand exactly how you feel. I think they do it that way, because their liability is out on the street with the defective batteries. They want to be sure and take them off of the street. By requiring people to send the defective ones in first, they feel that they have a better chance of getting the old ones back. Replacing batteries is a lot cheaper than explosion/laceration injury suits.
This is just my opinion. If you called them, they might work out an overnight deal with you??? I don't know. They advise you to stop using the defective ones right away. Their are a whole lot of possible options, but I do not want to be a middle man to suggesting any use of just one of the batteries, while one ships. That could be dangerous. If you are in the shop, and it is practical, a corded drill, if you have one, may be worth the wait, in exchange for getting new batteries, that are replacing ones that are so old.
I dont know, what do you think?

Harry Goodwin
07-23-2007, 7:49 PM
Thanks for the information. I called the company and they checked my battery sent me a post paid fed X mailing label for the package. Worked great. Harry

Michael Schwartz
07-23-2007, 8:01 PM
I would like to add that a great deal of the expense of the battery replacements, might be covered by the manufacturer of the battery. I don't know the extent of Millwaukees role in the Manufacturing/Engineering of the individual battery cells. But usualy with Nicad batteries, the only thing the manufacturer designs is the plastic enclosure, and they specify what cells to use.

Jason Abel
07-25-2007, 4:59 PM
FYI, All of the NiCad batteries are either made in Japan or China. The only thing that typically goes on in Mexico is the assembly. OEM's typically supply all plastic housings and in some cases the cells for building the battery. One that we deal with sends the cells to us since they can get them more economically and they don't pay our markup.