PDA

View Full Version : Stanley No1 Sighting

Dominic Greco
07-22-2007, 8:42 PM
While out and about today I happened to find myself at the local flea market (again!). I was walking by a table on my way out when I saw a small plane in a glass display case. It was so small that it could be no other than the illusive Stanley No1.

While I'm no expert, further examination did lead me to believe that this was the genuine article. The rear tote was newer looking and had obviously been replaced some time in the past. But the rest of the plane looked quite nice. And SMALL! Holy cow, it was small!

What really caught my eye was the $2,225 price tag. Because that's $2200 dollars more than I could afford!:D Is that price typical for what these planes could sell for?? I searched on Ebay for "Stanely No.1" and only could find a body for sale.

I spoke with the seller and when they asked me my opinion, suggested that they post this on Ebay. I'd love to see what happens when this thing hits the market!

Steve Clardy
07-22-2007, 8:51 PM
Do a search on ebay completed listings. It will take you back 90 days.

#1's in good shape are high.

Clint Jones
07-22-2007, 8:56 PM
Here is a double sighting. Take your pick $1300 a piece????:D I think they were out of line with their price but it was an antique store someone who really wanted one might want to pay that for it. If I were buying one to use I would just buy a 601 from Pat Leach. They have the bedrock style frog and a lateral adjustment lever and are only $600 or you could just buy a LN for a fraction of the cost.

Dominic Greco
07-22-2007, 9:17 PM
I think they were out of line with their price......If I were buying one to use ....or you could just buy a LN for a fraction of the cost.

Clint,
I was hoping someone would say that! :D In my mind the size of the plane really limits it's usefulness (to me). But if I had the cash to blow, and really needed a No1, I'd buy that 601 Patrick Leach was selling, or just get a beautiful new LN No1.

Art Mulder
07-23-2007, 9:08 AM
What really caught my eye was the $2,225 price tag. Because that's $2200 dollars more than I could afford!:D Is that price typical for what these planes could sell for??

Dominic,

I don't actively follow the OldTools market, but I used to be on the oldtools mailing list (5+ years back) and that price does not surprise me at all. I recall seeing a Stanley #1 for double that price. (not a typo)

These are priced for collecting, not for using.

Phil Clark
07-23-2007, 9:24 AM
This month on ebay a #1 sold for $898 and another for $731. In recent months those are low values. This spring a #1, unused and in the box sold for about $4,000 on ebay.

Richard Niemiec
07-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Totally collector pricing. In reasonable shape, prices in excess of $2,000 are not unexpected in this market, and in really good shape with box, the sky is the limit. I have one with a cracked tote and chipped mouth and which otherwise is a "C-" in condition and it would likely go for $5-600 as is, likely more if it was parted out as all the parts are quite unique to the #1 and someone with a busted frog but otherwise exemplar plane would pay a hundred or so for it to make his "complete." The blade adjustment screw is also unique and often missing and again if that's what you need to make the difference between $1,000 and $2500, you'd pay for it. Front knobs are also worth some money. However, there are many out there that are suspect and parted together with incorrect type components, and fraud abounds once you get into the real money these things can bring, so if a streak of madness hits you and you just have to have one, caveat emptor. If someone could explain to me why this design is better, easier to use, more unique, etc. than a low angle block plane, and I was so inclined, I'd buy a LN for $175, but right now its just the cuteness factor and I already got cute.

RN