PDA

View Full Version : Out of the clear blue

dennis kranz
07-22-2007, 8:34 PM
I made a phone call to a tree removal service today and someone ansewered the phone. Asked him what they did with the wood they cut up. Seems they just haul it to the dump but they don't let you in. He said he had a few pieces in his truck and if I wanted it he would bring it to me for gas money. So thanks to a wild stab at a phone call I got some nice Mesquite logs. Not the biggest but I only have a mini Lathe. Most are 10 to 12 inchs accross and about 12 to 14 inchs long. Now I need a chain saw to cut up some of this. Any recomendations for a low end saw. Under 200.00.

Thanks for looking,
Dennis

Jim Becker
07-22-2007, 8:45 PM
Nice haul!

Dennis, if you need to economize on the chain saw, go for an electric to start. It will come in handy even later when you can afford a Stihl or Husky gas machine as you can use it indoors. Around here, that means winter, but where you are, that means in the heat of summer... :D

Kurt Whitley
07-22-2007, 9:16 PM
Jim gives good advice.
An electric will handle those pieces fine and down the road after you get the Stihl or Husky, the electric will still come in handy. Aside from weather issues, the electric is much better suited to making a single quick cut or two (and maybe even getting one in after 10PM without making enemies of the neighbors).

Cheers,
Kurt

Bernie Weishapl
07-22-2007, 11:47 PM
I would also recommend a electric. I bought one first and now have a Stihl. I use the electric one like Kurt said for a couple of quick cuts and I don't want to get the big one out.

Bill Blasic
07-23-2007, 8:37 AM
I'm sorry but I cannot agree with getting the electric unless you can spend the big bucks for a Stihl electric. Try the Stihl MS 170 priced at $179.99. This little saw will handle all your small cutting chores. Yesterday I cut up an 18" Apple tree with it and yes I had to make two passes to get through it but it was very quick. Made 8 14" or 15" billets then split a half dozen 22" Poplar down through the pith and finished by splitting 5 20" Maples down through the pith all with the regular chain that came with it try (doing that with one of those inexpensive electrics and I believe you'll be spending money on gas taking it back to the store where you bought it). Not to mention chopping a bunch of 6" or 7" branches into sections. Will this replace my 066 - no, but it is a heck of a lot lighter and I've been impressed with what it will do and it falls into your under $200 budget. Hope this helps.

Steven Wilson
07-23-2007, 9:37 AM
For logs that size you can rip them on a 14" bandsaw w/riser block and them roughly round them with a bandsaw, no need for a chainsaw to prep that stock.

Paul Engle
07-23-2007, 10:19 AM
The electric may well be your second saw, it is useable in the shop where the gas rig not so much, check out local pawn shops as used may be good way to start untill you get the hang of it and find for as little as you will need it ( vs a profesional faller etc) on just turning wood it will help keep the cost down.