PDA

View Full Version : How Old Is???

John Terefenko
07-22-2007, 7:18 PM
I was watching Norm today work on a western themed cabinet. I do enjoy his work. Anyone venture a guess how old Norm Abrams is??? How many more years do you think he will do his Yankee Workshop show??? I hope he continues as long as he can. I do notice though he has devolped a shaky hand lately. Hope this is nothing serious.

Gary Keedwell
07-22-2007, 7:31 PM
He is a puppy compared to Sam Maloof.;)

Gary K.

Jude Kingery
07-22-2007, 7:31 PM
Hi John,

Norm's show is often lots of fun! No, I don't know the gentleman nor have I noticed anything wrong, but wish him well all the same as you do. You can look him up on Wickopedia if you like, says he was born in 1950. Might be interesting to you to read through is bio, I enjoyed it. Take care. Jude

Jason Beam
07-22-2007, 7:50 PM
He was born in 1950 so he's actually pushin' 60 .. he's aging quite well, i'd say! When I met him friday (at AWFS), he looked pretty much the same as I've seen him on tv for all these years - a few grays, but mostly youthful. He's holding up well, it seems!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009092/

Chris Barton
07-22-2007, 8:07 PM
I too, have noticed the shaky hands but, that really doesn't mean much. I read an article last year suggesting that this may be Norm's last year at NYW and that he is looking to let go of the TV schedule and go into semi-retirement. While I disagree with some of his techniques I've learned very much from his "Normness" and will miss him when he does leave.

Cody Colston
07-22-2007, 8:14 PM
I, too have learned a lot from Norm but more importantly, was inspired to begin woodworking because of Norm.

It's been particularly interesting to watch his woodworking skills evolve over the years of his program. He's gone from using drywall screws, to biscuits, to pocket screws and now to more refined joinery techniques. I doubt if he will ever discard his brad nailer, though. :)

I hope he continues with his show for many more years.

Brian Clevenger
07-22-2007, 8:53 PM
I, too have learned a lot from Norm but more importantly, was inspired to begin woodworking because of Norm.

It's been particularly interesting to watch his woodworking skills evolve over the years of his program. He's gone from using drywall screws, to biscuits, to pocket screws and now to more refined joinery techniques. I doubt if he will ever discard his brad nailer, though. :)

I hope he continues with his show for many more years.

My sentiments exactly. I guess I've been watching him for the last ten years or so. I'd like to have a library of all the recordings, but my pockets are lined with lint. My favorite episode all time was the H.O. Studley tool chest. That convinced me that I could fit a woodworking shop into my 2car garage.

Bob Feeser
07-22-2007, 9:03 PM
My sentiments exactly. I guess I've been watching him for the last ten years or so. I'd like to have a library of all the recordings.

Funny, I did exactly that. I have the Ultimate TV, which is Microsofts version of TIVO, and had Norm and NYW on autorecord. I dumped a lot of them on VHS's, so I could create a library, whenever I wanted to do something, I could look it up. Unfortunately, the stuff in the last year, was on the hard drive in the "TIVO" when it crashed, and I had the drive replaced, but not the shows. Since getting it back, I have built up his latest ones as well.
Not to feel at a loss at not having missed any though. The one thing I noticed is that the projects are all reducible to techniques, that are repeatable, and applied to each project. Like learning a language, then embellishing from there.

Jim Dunn
07-22-2007, 9:23 PM
He was born in 1950 so he's actually pushin' 60 .. he's aging quite well, i'd say! When I met him friday (at AWFS), he looked pretty much the same as I've seen him on tv for all these years - a few grays, but mostly youthful. He's holding up well, it seems!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0009092/

Wait a minute here!!!:eek: I was born in 1950 and I'm just pushing 57!:D I'm not pushing that hard either.:rolleyes:

Wish Norm and I many more years in the shop and about town.

Gary Herrmann
07-22-2007, 11:05 PM
I started watching Norm when I was in college. That was 20+ yrs ago. I remember sitting in the living room on the weekends watching him with my roomates.

Gary Keedwell
07-22-2007, 11:23 PM
I started watching Norm when I was in college. That was 20+ yrs ago. I remember sitting in the living room on the weekends watching him with my roomates.
:rolleyes: Sounds like a swinging college life.:eek: :D

Only Kidding....Gary K.

Mike Langford
07-22-2007, 11:44 PM
With all the crap on TV nowdays I consider the New Yankee Workshop "THE BEST" program on the air.....

I been watching Norm for many years and in all that time I've never heard him use foul language or make any off color,lewd,or sexually suggestive remark. I respect him for that!

NYW is GOOD, CLEAN (except for wood dust!;) ) INFORMATIVE, FAMILY, Entertainment!!!

Norm is a class act and I hope he stays healthy enough to continue for many more years......

Gary Keedwell
07-22-2007, 11:55 PM
With all the crap on TV nowdays I consider the New Yankee Workshop "THE BEST" program on the air.....

I been watching Norm for many years and in all that time I've never heard him use foul language or make any off color,lewd,or sexually suggestive remark. I respect him for that!

NYW is GOOD, CLEAN (except for wood dust!;) ) INFORMATIVE, FAMILY, Entertainment!!!

Norm is a class act and I hope he stays healthy enough to continue for many more years......
:D Mike said "crap":rolleyes: :)
Gary K........only kidding, Mike

Mike Langford
07-23-2007, 12:38 AM
:eek:

:D

:cool:

Gary Herrmann
07-23-2007, 3:57 AM
:rolleyes: Sounds like a swinging college life.:eek: :D

Only Kidding....Gary K.

Watched Sunday mornings while recovering from the previous night.

College life was a little too swinging, my freshman year.

Jack Ganssle
07-23-2007, 7:32 AM
I hate to be contrary, but DIY network just started carrying the show recently in my area (Baltimore County, MD). I watched this weekend... and watched lots and lots of commercials. It seemed like Norm was on for 2 minutes and then there were 5 minutes of commercials, which repeated for the entire half hour. Is this DIY's doing? Norm was great, but it's tough to sit through all the ads.

Maybe I need Tivo! But even with that Norm's show will be maybe ten minutes long.

Jack

George Heatherly
07-23-2007, 12:47 PM
I hate to be contrary, but DIY network just started carrying the show recently in my area (Baltimore County, MD). I watched this weekend... and watched lots and lots of commercials. It seemed like Norm was on for 2 minutes and then there were 5 minutes of commercials, which repeated for the entire half hour. Is this DIY's doing? Norm was great, but it's tough to sit through all the ads.

Maybe I need Tivo! But even with that Norm's show will be maybe ten minutes long.

Jack

That has been one of the nice things about NYW in my area. It has been on PBS for many years. So it was viewable with no commercial interruptions.

DIY has just started carrying it, and I agree that the commercials make it difficult to watch.

George

Alfred Clem
07-23-2007, 2:52 PM
Norm is my inspiration although I am MUCH older than he is.

Recently, I have become addicted to another TV show that aims to help homeowners and home remodelers. It's called "Holmes on Homes," and features a big, muscular guy from Toronto, Mike Holmes.

Mike was born in 1964, so he is somewhat younger than Norm. I have learned a lot by watching and listening to Mike Holmes and his crew correct the mistakes and downright crookedness of inept home remodelers.

As a homeowner, I am only a student sitting at the feet of both these master craftsmen.