PDA

View Full Version : Pecan grove demo Gilbert AZ

Mike Vickery
07-22-2007, 5:37 PM
Their is a pecan grove on the NE corner of Queen Creek Rd and Gilbert Road that is going to be demolished.
--Satelite photo--
http://www.google.com/maps?q=Gilbert,+AZ,+USA&ie=UTF8&ll=33.263568,-111.788254&spn=0.001924,0.003616&t=k&z=18&iwloc=addr&om=1

I talked to a guy a couple weeks ago that was out their doing an estimate for his company to demo it. He is supposed to e-mail me before they do but who knows.
Most of the trees are only about 10 inches, but some have some nice 16 inch crotches.

Kevin and I got all we wanted today so any creekers in the area that are interested feel free. We have only took 3 trees out and their are probably 40 more. Hate to see it go to the landfill.

Brett Baldwin
07-22-2007, 7:37 PM
Its a little late for me to get over there today but if there are others that are up for it next weekend (hopefully it will still be there) I'd be up for a run. I'm thinking it would be good to have another person there while felling trees so they can take pictures of the stupid things I might do.:D

Mike, did you get any idea of when the demo is planned?

Kevin McPeek
07-22-2007, 9:47 PM
I'm guessing it will still be there by the weekend. If the doze them down I may make a run through and cherry pick a little.

There is a lot of oppertunity left there. If I wasn't such a worn out old man I'd have taken a lot more.

Mike Vickery
07-23-2007, 12:44 PM
I agree with Kevin on this if the guy e-mails me I will let you know but he may not or another company might have gotten the job.
If they demo it I will definately be back out, their are some big trees in front of the house that I am unqualified to cut down but would like to get some wood from. A couple huge Perrsimmons and some other stuff.
My garage is full and my back and hamstrings are killing me today so I am done for now.

Brett Baldwin
07-23-2007, 2:10 PM
If you see that they've demo'd but haven't cleared during the week, please let me know. I'll head over there after work and get what I can of it. I'd rather have the leisure of a weekend but some is better than none.

Mike Vickery
07-23-2007, 2:34 PM
If you see that they've demo'd but haven't cleared during the week, please let me know. I'll head over there after work and get what I can of it. I'd rather have the leisure of a weekend but some is better than none.

Will do, Queen Creek Rd is closed between the site and my house so I don't go by that often.

Kevin McPeek
07-25-2007, 12:40 AM
I went by there today to grab up some of the cut offs we left, which were too cracked so they are still there, but I noticed a few dump truck loads of dirt had been left there. I don't know if they are going to start working there soon or if someone just got their pool dug today and that was a drop off.
I am going to go back tomorrow with the saw and take some smaller stuff that is already on the ground.

Patrick Taylor
07-25-2007, 2:02 AM
Maybe this will make Bill W. finally buy a chainsaw! :rolleyes:

Brett Baldwin
07-25-2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the update Kevin. Are you up for another run this coming weekend? (assuming its still there) You can wear the white hat and I'll bring a good sized saw.

Martin Braun
07-25-2007, 5:24 PM
I've never turned Pecan, so I will have to stop by & pick up some samples. I got the chainsaw gased up a couple weeks ago cutting some blanks for table legs, so I have no excuse now. Will probably stop by there Friday after work or Saturday. If somebody without a chainsaw needs some, let me know and I'll cut some extra.

Kevin McPeek
07-25-2007, 6:34 PM
Martin, Maybe you and Brett could hook up so nobody is out there alone on Saturday. I'm not sure if I can go this weekend, I haven't seen what the boss has planned yet.
I am not going to go today since just as I got home to change and get the sawing kit, we are getting a deluge rain storm. I guess I'll get some turning done instead.

Brett Baldwin
07-27-2007, 2:57 PM
Martin and I plan to be over there about 8:00am on Saturday for some chip slinging fun.

Kevin McPeek
07-27-2007, 4:59 PM
Good, have fun and be safe!
I roughed and cored my first crotch from there and ended up getting a 15.25" bowl and good sized core from it too. The trees don't seem that big but pick the good 2 limb crotches.
Brett, there is lots of stuff from the two trees Mike and I fell that would be great size for the mini. They'd be easy pickin' too.

Brett Baldwin
07-27-2007, 6:30 PM
Thanks Kevin. I'll be looking for that.

dennis kranz
07-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Are any of you guys coming to Tucson? If you have room I sure would like a couple of pieces to use on my mini. Do not make a special trip down here but if you plan on visting someone in the next few weeks I can wait.
Dennis

Brett Baldwin
07-28-2007, 8:07 PM
Dennis, I don't have any plans to head down to Tucson at the moment but you never know.

Kevin McPeek
07-28-2007, 8:20 PM
So, how'd the haul go for you guys?
I went on another with a few guys from the club to get a Honey Locust tree. It was unfortunate that the bottom 4' or so was rotten in the middle, which is probably why it blew over. But we were able to cut way more than we could haul. You'll see some pieces show up at the next few meetings. Even with the rot we were able to slab off a few 18-20" bowl blanks off the sides. This tree was 32-36" across the base, which was a surprise since they initially said it was 16", I guess they meant radius...lol