PDA

View Full Version : Waxing turnings

Don Farr
01-20-2004, 7:45 AM
I recently watched a DVD by Richard Raffan and he used wax on many of his completed projects. When he completed sanding he would pick up a big block of wax and rub it around on the project, with lathe on and then pick up a rag and buff it out. All in about 15 seconds. He would also on occasion apply extra pressure with the rag and cause a grove to burn. I thought it was pretty cool stuff. :cool:
Is anyone familiar with this process? I would like to know what kind of wax he used etc. It looked softer than just paraffin to me.

John Miliunas
01-20-2004, 7:56 AM
I recently watched a DVD by Richard Raffan and he used wax on many of his completed projects. When he completed sanding he would pick up a big block of wax and rub it around on the project, with lathe on and then pick up a rag and buff it out. All in about 15 seconds. He would also on occasion apply extra pressure with the rag and cause a grove to burn. I thought it was pretty cool stuff. :cool:
Is anyone familiar with this process? I would like to know what kind of wax he used etc. It looked softer than just paraffin to me.

Don, I use wax on many of my little bowls and such, which may see use as a little candy or other food treat container. It's bee's wax. If you've done a nice job of finish sanding on the piece, you'd be surprised what a nice sheen you end up with! Once you "scuff" the surface with the wax, it does take a bit of pressure, pressing with your rag, because you want the wax to melt via friction. Lessen the pressure as you go and voila! :cool:

Jim Becker
01-20-2004, 8:52 AM
I believe that Raffan uses bees wax. I would cut it with turps or another solvent to make it softer and easier to apply, but it should go on well right from the block as long as you don't load it up too much. The friction from the rag will soften and help it spread, too.

Wolf Kiessling
01-20-2004, 9:26 AM

Many people like to use bee's wax, as mentioned. On the pieces that I wax, I simply use Minwax finishing wax - either light or dark as appropriate.

Wolf

Steve Inniss
01-20-2004, 9:51 AM
Don,
The commercially available woodturner's wax sticks are carnauba based. I, like the others though, use beeswax.
As a lot of people give candles as gifts these days, I look them over carefully when accepting/thanking, and remember which ones to use (based on the ingredients) when they are stubs. Works great, and free - same technique rub on while turning, melt with a cloth.
People think I'm a bit strange when I visit - I look over firewood pieces, low hanging limbs, stumps, candle stubs...

Don Farr
01-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the info. everyone. Something new for me to play with on my next turning which is on the lathe now. A spalted Tamarind bowl.

Any ideas where I can buy beeswax local?

Wolf Kiessling
01-20-2004, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the info. everyone. Something new for me to play with on my next turning which is on the lathe now. A spalted Tamarind bowl.

Any ideas where I can buy beeswax local?

Look in the yellow pages and see if there are any apiaries or beekeepers listed...

Wolf

John Shuk
01-20-2004, 8:18 PM
I buy it at A.C. MOORE. The craft store. They are all over. You might try another craft store otherwise.
John

Ted Calver
01-20-2004, 9:26 PM
Don,
I bought a big chunk of it at Michaels Arts and Crafts.
Ted

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Don, I did a quickie Internet Search and found several place where you can get Beeswax. I get mine locally from a Bee Keeper that just gives it to me. He does not save it, so I let him know when I want some, and he saves me some. It is not filtered and all pretty like the refined Beeswax you see in most places, but it is a pure as it comes. The last hunk he gave me must weigh about 3 pounds. This will probably last me the rest of my life............or perhaps he was just trying to get rid of me for good! :D (Not really, this guy is a friend of the family.) Anyway, here is a Texas source I ran across. I am not sure where they are from, but maybe they can help you. I too have used Beeswax on some turnings, and it works real nice, and provides a really nice shine and finish. Here is the link for ya:

http://www.texasdrone.com/beeswax.htm